Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery on the 30th!!

I got home today, sore and so tired. Feel like Ive been kicked in the stomach. I thought I would feel the band and port on my insides, but I don't. I suppose that's good news. I am already sick and tired of sugar free popsicles and broth. Hope I can get through another 3 days until I can have some creamy soups!!!

keep in touch!

Kelly

Hello everyone!! I'm at home, having some gas pains in my left shoulder. Standing seems to be a problem, it feels like a burning ripping feeling. Hopefully this is normal. Just like you Kelly I am sick of the broth and Jello. I am kind of having problem with the popcicles, I think that they might be to cold or something. Well I hope everyone is doing good, our journey has just begun.

take care,

Danielle

these first couple of weeks is going to be tough for us, but i know we can get through it.

i am feeling a bit better today. at first i was only able to sleep on my right side, but now i can sleep on my left. i still can't sleep comfortably but i am sleeping. the same goes for sitting up. i still feel groggy so i can't really walk much.

i've had a headache since the day of surgery, that is bothersome.

i kind of had an emotional breakdown today because i can't do much. i've been pretty lucky with gas pain though. i only burp and you know what.

it's tough seeing everyone being able to eat normally but me, but i have lost two lbs since surgery so that's good i guess.

hope everyone is doing good.

Glad to hear that everyone's surgery went well:thumbup:. Everything went well for me during the surgery it was the anesthesia that really kicked my butt:cursing:. I have never felt so sick and I was in the hospital longer than I thought I would be, I didnt get released until 5-5:30pm on Thursday which was a good thing since I was feeling so sick. At home now and moving at a slow pace and taking my time. Talk to everyone soon..Take Care, Jenn

Just been hanging out on the recliner. Slept some on the couch because my back was hurting. And the couch kindda props me up so I can sleep on my right side. I feel really good until I stand up and then I get tired really easy. Very frustating grrrr. How long should it take to get over the wooziness? Luckily, I am a stay at home mom because I don't know how I'd be able to work in a week.

The only spot that hurts is my port incision. It feels like it's being dragged to the ground when i am walking. Although it does feel better than yesterday.

Take care,

Laura

How is everyone doing?

I feel like I turned a little corner today. Took a shower and had a 1/2 Protein Drink with skim milk and it helped - I was feeling so weak!

I found if I take my pain meds. before they wear off it helps too.

My stomach is really rumbly at times, feels like hunger pains but I am sure its gas!

I have had a couple of break downs "why did I do this" & I am really missing solid food.< /p>

Danielle, OMG, the broth makes me feel sick just to think about it! I know its 98% fat free, but still seems greasy and so salty! yuck! tomorrow I can have some creamy Soup and mashed potatoes. Anything for a change!!

What is everyone elses post diet like? when can you get off the full liquids?

Just did a little walk around the yard and boy am I tired... My body is really telling me to rest and not to push it to soon. So tired of broth and Jello and yet I'm stuck with it until wednesday..stomach is making funky noises and I am really having a bad hair week:tongue2: just happy that i dont have to be back at work until the end of may. Really in the mood for Rita's Water ice..sugar free of course... Oh and my hubby has been awesome taking care of me even when I was crying b/c my pants fell down and I couldnt bend to pull them up... well heading off to rest for a bit talk to you all soon..

Jenn

i too have that feeling of why did i do this, but hopefully once the pain is gone and i can finally eat different food i'll feel better. i feel tired a lot during the day. today i had bad diarreah, i don't know if bthats normal or not. i can eat purred foods starting tuesday then mushies next week. i ca't eat much eiether. it took me three whole days to finish on of my sugar free Jello things.

i'vw already lost 5 lbs since surgery so thats kind of cool. sorry if this post is full of typos, but it's hard to type on your side in bed with one hand!!!!

Whew..ok, I'm back! At least part-way.

Had surgery on the 30th (Wednesday). My blood pressure dropped very low during surgery and after. Everything else went fine. Sounds like I was being difficult during the waking up process. I remember saying, "I'm not trying to be difficult, just cute." :)

I pretty much slept Wednesday and Thursday. Was a little disappointed that I couldn't get up and do much walking either of those days. Friday, started feeling a little better. Saturday (today), was up and around the house. Not sure how I'm going to do going back to work on Tuesday -- doesn't seem like I could be awake all day without a nap :)

My doctor has his patients on sugar-free, calorie free drinks only until the Monday after surgery (1 ounce every 20 minutes of wake time). I am just starting to feel like I could have something more than Water.

Pain has been ok. Used liquid Lortab twice since home.

Uncovered two of my incision sites -- not at all scary. Going to take the big step and shower tomorrow - woooooo :)

Hope everyone is doing well. And...congratulations to each of us!

I feel better just reading everyone's posts.

I was banded on the 30th, so this is the end of day 4. I never thought to tell my surgeon about the bad rotator cuff in my left shoulder, so much of my pain was after that arm had been held down in one position during surgery. And on top of that......I had the shoulder gas which is finally subsiding.

I was good post-op. Read about how much walking helps here on the forum so I walked laps in the hospital every hour of day/night one and day two. Came home Friday and walked several times. Today too. I may be doing too much, but that's what I heard..walk, walk, walk. Most difficult thing for me is to get in or out of bed. OH MY GOODNESS. That hurts. I've been napping in chairs instead of the bed.

I'm on Darvocet, and I'm holding at 3 a day right now. Why suffer, right? I'm more uncomfortable than in pain. The surgy strips are starting to stick and pull and I'm hoping my second shower will take some of them off.

I am finding it difficult to drink enough. I feel so full - a full pressured feeling. If I drink more than a couple of ounces in an hour, I feel very pressured and full. Not a good full. So I called Friday to tell the nurse that I can't get in enough Protein drink. They said do the best I can. I tried one of the 3 1/2 oz Protein "Jello shots"- 42 grams, and it wasn't toooo awful. So I'm getting in some protein. My doc does 3 weeks post op of liquid....yup. I don't mind. I like the choc Atkins drinks, but I'm a little weirded out that I can't take much in.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Gwenn

Good to see that everyone is progressing well!! I actually went out today - just threw on some loose clothes and went to visit a friend for a while. It feels good to at least pretend I am normal!!

I spoke with a friend who is a nurse about washing the incision sites b/c I have been too chicken to take off my band-aids, which are covering the steri-strips. She said to leave the steri-strips on and cut off the edges as they get loose - this will make them last longer. Makes sense and something they did not tell me in the hospital.

Yesterday I realised for me, this is like getting over a really really awful flu- your stomach is sore and your not sure what to eat or if eating will make you sick again. Oh, and you feel really weak too!

My husband is bugging me to eat - says he cant believe I am surviving on so little! Me either!!:blush:

Each day has gotten easier. I stopped pain meds today and my port site only hurts sometimes. But now that I am more alert, I am very bored. :bored:Mentally I have so many things to do. Until I stand up and realize nothings going to get done. I had part of a can of creamy Tomato Soup the kind that you just drink out of the can. And it really hit the spot. My husband has been doing everything for the kids and himself. I am very lucky. Hope everyone is getting better as well.

Take care,

Laura

I hate to say it...but it's almost a good thing to hear that all of you banded on the 30th are also still so worn out.

I showered today -- that was my big adventure :sad: My post-op check is tomorrow. I'm hoping that switching from no calories to Protein shakes for two weeks will give me some energy.

It hurts to hiccup :blush:

Hello everyone!! Glad to hear everyone is doing good. I have been on Clear liquids since surgery, my docs does a week of clear. So that is getting a little old, I tried a full liquid today. That didn't work so good, back to clear.

As far as getting out, I did go to target for a little bit. I have to go back to work on tuesday so I am trying to push myself. I bartend so I do a lot of walking.

There is a crazy monster in my stomach that has been growling trying to get out. I haven't weighed myself so I'm not sure if I lost wieght or not.

Well everyday gets better so hopefully in a week we will all feel ourselves. take care everone!!

Danielle

Hi All. I think I overdid it a bit with the intensive walking. I felt lousy this afternoon so I actually stopped and got into bed to watch a movie. Boy, that felt great. When I got up my stomach went crazy but I ended up doing some good in the bathroom (sorry, but it is what it is) and I feel better now!

I have two types of discomfort. I'm going to the doc on Tuesday for post-op, but would like to hear if anyone is having what I am at 5 days. I feel some sticking or pulling type sensations under the skin of my abdomen- especially to the left of the port incision. And my skin is a little itchy and tender in the area as well. I'm thinking it's the inside stitching and the incision healing as well as just the swelling etc abating inside, but has anyone else had this? My incisions thank G-d are clean and dry.

The second thing that's a little strange is that although my breathing is fine (I can easily pop all three balls up in that thingamigig) I occasionally "double breathe"- you know, that anxiety breath or the way ya breathe after a bad cry. Or I'm sitting and I suddenly take a sharper, deeper breath. Worse after drinking something. My husband thinks it's just that the diaphram and sternum are in the area of the surgery and are probably sore or have swelling up against them. And that's why it happens after eating. My girlfriend thinks it's mild anxiety (interesting). Anyone?

Thanks,

Gwenn