Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ugh!! Quitting Smoking!!!

Well.. I went to my surgeons consult today with the RN, Surgeon & Dietician. To my dismay.. I have to quit smoking 8 weeks before my Dr. will do surgery. I have tried to quit so many times, but I've been unsuccessful. I guess it's the same as with dieting, try try try-right?? I know smoking isn't good for me to begin with, but trying to eat right and quit smoking has got to be an oxy moron... ANY ADVICE!!!!:blushing:

I was told to quit smoking for 10 days before the surgery and when the nurse called to see how I was doing, I advised her that if I could stop smoking for 10 days straight, I wouldn't be a smoker... she laughed and told me she smokes too and that they only ask you to stop because smoking delays the healing process. Can you talk to your doctor again and ask WHY you need to quit prior to surgery? Will they not do it if you can't quit?

They said that it could cause ulcers, of course since this was the first consult I was kind of nervous and just said (like a dumb**s) Well I guess that is something else I have to work on. Along with dropping Diet Coke. I'll have to do a little more prying next time. Thanks for the info..

Try Smoke Away...I quit it was hard but it takes off the edge. I had to realize what an addict I was. It takes 3 days to get it all out of you system than after that it is habit. It helps I started a new job where no one smokes, my finance quit with me. So you need support too!!!! Think of the reward...you know like new clothes, your health.......

My surgeon will not operate on anyone who smokes. He feels it is too much of a health risk and increases your chance of pneumonia and is rough on your heart on top of surgery. Did the doc offer a patch or pill to help with the cravings?

Former heavy duty Diet Coke drinker here. Giving up the Diet Coke was easy. I didn't think I could do it but started drinking Crystal Light and Water and haven't looked back.

i wonder why the quite smoking thing is such a big deal,i have had 3 surgeries in the past 6 years,and not one physician advised me to stop smoking before the procedures.makes you wonder...

I quit smoking in November. I tried so many times and couldn't go more than 2 days. I went to my primary doc who put me on a prescription called Chantix. It was expensive and gave me some crazy dreams but it made it so easy for me to quit. I recommend Chantix to anyone wanting to quit. As for Diet Coke I haven't had one since 2 days before my surgery and haven't looked back. I seriously drank nothing but diet coke before surgery - like 10 cans a day!!!! I never thought it would be this easy. That caffeine headache was the worst part of my surgery day!!!

I hope you will be able to stop smoking! I quit 4 years ago when I ended up in the ER with chest pain and then a cardiac stent. My doctor brought me a package of "Nicotrol Inhalers". They are made by Pfizer and you never see them advertised. Basically they look like a cigarett holder (they are white plastic). They twist open in the center and you insert a little cartridge of nicotine. You can then inhale the nicotine. What I loved and appreciated was that I could gradually break all the hand to mouth motions. I took it into meetings - everywhere. Over about a two month period, I would forget to bring it here or there and then one day I realized I didn't need it at all. I think it saved my life.

Elective surgery (like the lapband) makes doctors even more conservative in their prepation and approach. If you have cancer and you smoke - they are going to take the surgical risk. Smoking wreaks havoc on the lungs and the lapband requires general anesthesia so the risk is exponential.

I was a BIG smoker and I loved my ciggies! Really, if I can do it, so can you!

I wish you all the best!!

Mary

Well, there are alot of commercial products available. I personally tried all of them, but when I finally had my PCP put me on Wellbutrin (Zyban) I gave my body 2 months to get the full effect, then I just quit. Just like that. Yeah, it was the hardest thing I had ever done, but I DID IT! The Wellbutrin helped with the cravings. It is a very old drug that is also used as an anti-depressant. They have just started marketing it as Zyban the last few years. Ok, now I sound like a Pharmaceutical salesman! Anyway - I smoked for 15 years and then just quit. I am so glad I did because I am now in Nursing School and everyday we learn about all of the effects that smoking has on your body.

Just a little insight. I wish you luck. You will never regret it!:blushing:

I quit smoking in preparation for surgery, and have been quit for two months now. My surgery will be sometime around the end of May or in June, so I will have 3 months cigarette-free by that point.

I did it cold turkey. I've tried a number of other times, but every time I thought I could have "just one" I fell off the wagon. Now I realize the secret to staying quit (for me) is to avoid thinking I can have "just one."

I still think about smoking from time to time, but it's not automatic like it used to be. I plan to remain smoke free, God willing.

i wonder why the quite smoking thing is such a big deal,i have had 3 surgeries in the past 6 years,and not one physician advised me to stop smoking before the procedures.makes you wonder...

Thats probably because those were not "elective" surgeries. You are 5 times more likely to get pneumonia then a non smoker after surgery. Plus other complications that are more prevalent in smokers are all increased. Cutting smoking it just another way to cut into that "statistical" mortality and other complications rate on surgeries.

I myself, would quit smoking on the idea alone that it would cut my chances of dieing from surgery.

FYI, I am a former smoker.

Edited by snuffy65

Chantix, Chantix- ra ra ra!!! This stuff rocks- I have been without a cigarette for a year now and I never thought I would be able to quit. Talk to your PCP about getting an Rx for Chantix- it rocks! The dreams are a little wierd, but interesting!

I too was a smoker but once I got my anticipated surgery date (you know the fake date) I decided to quit. I started by taking only 2 cigs with me to work daily for about 3 days and then decided that I didn't want to smoke them at all and that I would have to do it for my health. Each time I got the craving to smoke I thought about getting the band and thought about how much it meant to me along with a daily prayer maybe even two prayers a day as needed and that was enough. I had also gotten to the point where I wanted to jog daily while I walked the track and smoking the cigs just didn't fit into the equation. Here I am 15 months later and a non smoker. Mind you all my close family members smoke including my husband and we are all amazed at how I haven't had the urge to even pull on anybodies cigs. Granted my family doesn't know about my WLS but still it's an acomplishment. Just remember it gets easier. You can do it!

Well.. I went to my surgeons consult today with the RN, Surgeon & Dietician. To my dismay.. I have to quit smoking 8 weeks before my Dr. will do surgery. I have tried to quit so many times, but I've been unsuccessful. I guess it's the same as with dieting, try try try-right?? I know smoking isn't good for me to begin with, but trying to eat right and quit smoking has got to be an oxy moron... ANY ADVICE!!!!:thumbup:

I've been quit for over two years. It was probably one of the hardest things to do. Trust me when I say I have NO will power. Also, trying to do too much at one time is a recepit for failure. IMO, I would concentrate just on the smoking, and not so much on the diet. Knowlege is power when it comes to nicotene addiction. I think the more you know, understand, and prepare, the better chances you have to quit. I'm now a certified smoking cessation counsoler through the American Lung Association. Your best bet for success is a combination of medicine (zyban, chantix...) a NRT (gum, patch, lozenge) knowlege and a good quit plan. We are having wonderful success rates in the ranges of 80%!!!!! of keeping smokers off at the 1 year mark. Trust me, I'm one of them. I never thought in a million years you would get me to kick the habit, but now I could never imagine being a smoker again. Remember, you were born a non smoker, and you too could have a relapse. Good luck and here's a great link to help you.

Lot of great people there for support.

Quit Smoking | Smoking Cessation | Quit Smoking Support | Nicotine Addiction

Edited by singledad167

I hope this give you some encouragement to quit smoking. I started my journey for lap band the first of March, 2008. When they told me I had to quit smoking 3 months before surgery, I thought to myself do I really want this surgery or do I want to continue killing myself with food and cigarettes. I was a smoker for over 20 years. I decided on March 10, 2008 which was 5 days after my initial appointment to quit cold turkey. To God be the glory, I had not picked up a cigarette in over 6 weeks. I knew that God can do more for me than any patch or nicorette gum, so I gave it a try - PRAYER, PRAYER, PRAYER. It worked. Now when I have a doctor's appt. I am sooooo proud to tell them that I have quit smoking for good. There comes a time in our life that we have to make decisions to change. I will pray for your strength and if God can take smoking from me, He will do the same for you. Good Luck!!! P.S. You have to hear Dr. Oz (from Oprah Winfrey show) talk about the effects of smoking and that might help you as well. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!