Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On Being Overly Tight

Gang:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

You know you love it when I call you that J <o:p></o:p>

I guess we never stop learning about the band. I just learned a very scary and expensive lesson. The worst thing is that I had to learn it at the expense of my daughter’s health and comfort. Before you start throwing things at me be aware that she is 27 and somewhat responsible for her own decisions, but I don’t deny the influence a father can have. ANYWAY as I write this she is recovering from surgery at Almater having just had her band re-positioned. She was banded 2 years ago in July. She lived apart from us in Hawaii so I only saw her a few times since banding but talked with her by phone multiple times every day. She often complained about being “too tight” Since I have never really felt that much restriction myself I tend to assign terms of “wusses” or worse whenever I read of people complaining about how tight they are, with the exception of those proven cases of over tightness where you cant even swallow your own spit. I have had more than my share of PB episodes but they are not really due to over restriction but rather extreme stupidity, one of my fortes btw. Anyway Janice moved home about 3 months ago. She had just been seen by a Dr in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:place></st1:State> and had been unfilled because of a recurring problem with being too tight. I asked her, for economic reasons, to try to get a fill before she came home. She did and because it wasn’t done with flouro and because there was a slight miscommunication between her and this Dr. she got a little more than she asked for. When she got home she started having problems with being too tight. At first I tried to get her to “man up”, as we say, and just suffer through it. We tried liquids etc but she was obviously having some issues. She went to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and they removed some and over the next month or so it got even worse. She lost weight like there was no tomorrow and all I could think of was how great that must be. She could not sleep laying down and we would wake every night to hear her cough for a while and then head to the can and hurl. I tried SOO hard to will it away. Our local Dr, not a band Dr just a clinic GP, thought it must be GERDS so he put her on Nexium. This seemed logical to me also because most of my family has had this issue at one time or another and because I have a masters in biology and therefore know exactly enough to be dangerous. No change. Then they decided it must not be strong enough so they changed to a different drug but still no effect. Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I saw her unable to eat or drink hardly anything and if she tried a few hours later it would come back up. That even included Water. Still I waited. Finally I was convinced she was dehydrated and suffering from lack of sleep and could not go on like this so we put her on a plane and entrusted her back into the loving and EXPERT care of the staff at Almater. They saw her and admitted her into the hospital and it didn’t take long to diagnose that the band had severely slipped. A few hours ago they went in and thanks to the skills of that group of doctors it looks like they were able to save her band. She is very close to goal and with a little luck I’m not sure she will even need to get it filled again. If she does you can be damn sure it will ONLY be by Aceves and crew. <o:p></o:p>

OK so what are the lesions here,<o:p></o:p>

1)Father didn’t always know best, even when it was a tv show. It’s YOUR body, listen to it and take it seriously.<o:p></o:p>

2)Don’t mess around with being overtight, that’s not how the band is designed to work<o:p></o:p>

3)Don’t mess around with being overtight, that’s not how the band is designed to work<o:p></o:p>

4)It is unfortunate but for some of us economics plays a major role in this decision and we need to face reality before hand and budget for fills and aftercare. It can become an even greater expense if you don’t and have to make some dumb decisions because of economic pressure. The net costs of a band are minimal, and probably even negative in the long run, but the initial costs must be accounted for.<o:p></o:p>

Ok end of this lecture. Test will follow, double spaced blue essay books, pen only please.<o:p></o:p>

As Always<o:p></o:p>

Craig<o:p></o:p>

PS If you haven’t had a chance to yet, you may want to check out the newest Weight Loss site and forum located at www.wlsfacts.com I think they are going to present a lot more about the gastric Sleeve and could probably use some people posting to get it started.<o:p></o:p>

THAT WAS GREAT. im glad you posted. i always get my fills with floro and have my doctor check it for slips . i learned that being too tight doesnt help you in the long run. its not a race........ its about improving our health as safely as possible. newbies need to read this............. i was just in hawaii. nice.