Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't have staples or anything. And I think my stitches must have been internal because I didn't have any visible. I had glue over my incisions. Well, the glue has all come off now since it's been almost 3 weeks, but tonight I was putting some Vitamin E on the one incision that still has scabs. Well, one came off and now I have a piece of stitching sticking out of my skin. It's like when you have a tag in a stuffed animal and you pull the tag off and there's still a little piece of plastic sticking out. Any suggestions beside calling my Dr since it's so late?

I didn't have that, I had staples but I read about it before my surgery, and my friend had the same thing happen. It is your body pushing it out, it is ok, they tell you not to pull on them, but to cut then back it they are bothering you.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much. It is normal for your body to be doing this.

They are internal stitches. Sometime they take up to a month to disolve. You may have to cover it for a couple of weeks if it is weeping? Keep putting betadine on it daily if not. Mine is infected but only a little I may need to get some antibiotics.

I asked my Dr about them on Saturday. I have two of them poking out.

I think the one is red and puffy because it anoyed me and I touched it too much!;)

Best of luck

Jo

Let them heal. Unless they're red and swollen, you'll be ok. Be careful, though, because they can get caught on clothes--particularly a bra. (It's not really dangerous at that point, just sore) IF they don't look infected or bleed to the point where they won't stop bleeding, you're on your way to recovery. Good luck! ;)

I had that happen when I had a laproscopic hysterectomy a little over a year ago. As someone else said, it is the internal stitches that have not yet dissolved pushing out. Keep an eye on it to insure it doesn't get infected and it will be ok.

Good luck!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I noticed the same thing..I'm almost 2 weeks post op. One incision (port) has a tiny loop and suture end showing. I'm just leaving it alone, careful not to pick at it. Will show to my MD when I see her in May...if it doesn't drop out before then.

If it gets inflamed or drains, see your MD ... otherwise, I'd agree with the others...leave it alone. You could cover with a bandaid if it catches on things.

Good luck!

Lizalee - I can't remember how long after my op. that mine stuck out, but I pulled them out with a twezzers. Two stiches were poking out in the port wound, and it wasn't healing completely where they were sticking out. Once I pulled them out it healed. However, I would not have done this if the wound wasn't almost healed/sealed.

I called my Drs nurse this morning and she just told me to clip the stitch close to the skin if it was bothering me, which is what someone up there told me to do too and not to worry about it really.