Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded on March 29, 2005

I was just banded on Tuesday, March 29th. I have been very emotional these past few days. The day before surgery I broke out in tears over frustration with Kaiser who would not pay for the Lap Band (I paid $18,250 for my surgery) and then Kaiser had the nerves to charge me full price for the liquid pain medication. Nevertheless, I felt better on the day of surgery. All went well and I left the hospital the following morning (the hospital staff was fantastic - Chapman Medical Center in Orange, California). The next few days were marked with stomach pain, but only when I moved. Each day the pains got better. Saturday was the worst day...gas, diarrhea, and an emotional wreck. I got so sick of those nasty Bariatric Advantage (BA) shakes. So I went out and bought some Slim Fast shakes which taste much better. Slim Fast does not have enough Protein however, so I know I cannot avoid drinking the BA shakes. I guess I just have to grin and bear it. I can't wait until this liquid phase is over. Today it is Sunday and I feel so much better (emotionally and physically). The good thing is that I weighed myself today and see that I have lost 6 pounds since my surgery (probably Water weight, but I'll take it). I go back to work tomorrow (not looking forward to that). I have a few questions:

1) Will the gas ever go away?

2) Has anyone used any of the scar therapy treatments to shrink/smooth the scars? If so, what brand and how soon should I begin using it?

3) Does anyone know where I can get any good multi-vitamins in liquid form?

4) I am still debating over whether to tell friends and co-workers about the surgery (only my immediate family knows). Does anyone regret telling friends about it?

Thanks in advance for your support in answering any of my questions. This website has been a Godsend.

Well, New LIfe:

1-Yes the gas does go away, did you try Gas-x, several people said that helped, but I didn't have tummy gas, only the left shoulder ache.

2-I'm 4 months out and I just have purple blemeshes on my tummy, not like I'm getting the bikini out anyway.

3-I use the green liquid Vitamin from the Vitamine Shoppe, Source of Life, one capful a day and you're done.

4-Who to tell is an individual choice, me, I don't care who knows, my life, my money, and my weight loss.

I hope you feel better with each day. As to the depression, I went through that on about day 3 or 4, I thought OMG, what have I done, as I sat watching my son eat sushi that made my mouth Water, as I sipped my broth. That too will pass, you've made a wonderful decision that will impact the rest of your life in a most positive way.

I wish you the best.

Congratulations on getting your band! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

1. The gas will get better. Walking is the best thing to get rid of the "gas" used during your surgery. Have you tried Gas-X for the abdominal gas? I haven't had the on-going problems some bandsters mention.

2. You want to know your incisions are completely closed before you put anything on them. Vitamin E oil is good. Mine are almost invisible now.

3. Have you done a "search" for liquid Vitamins? There is a thread here about different ones. I just use Gummi-Vites. They're chewables (like gummy-bears) and taste good. I also take Viactiv-Calcium Chews.

4. Only you can decide if you want to tell others or not. Once you tell, you can't "untell."

New Life. Congratulation on being banded. Welcome to LBT and a BIG congratulations on the 6lbs! Doesn't it feel great?

1- Yes it will go away. Walk, Walk, and Walk......

2-I use Vit E and My scars are very light just 4 months out.

3-I get mine at Wal mart. Centrum liquid. I also use chewable Calcium tabs.

4-I have told everyone who will listen to me about my surgery. I am very proud of what I am doing with my new Journey, but everyone is different and you just have to do what you feel is best for yourself. :)

Again, Welcome to LBT the worlds best support group!

Welcome to the Banded Gentry, and welcome to LBT!

I couldn't find the liquid gas-x so I used baby gas drops instead. (fitting because I was such a big baby) The gas pains went away, but now I'm sooo windy in the morning when I get up!

I had my gall bladder out about 7 years ago, and those scars are now invisible. I expect the same for my lap band scars. If you have any keloid issues, you might need to check with your dr.

I'm taking the Centrum chewables. My dr recommended Flintstones, but I just can't go there...

I don't regret telling anyone. Of course, one of the folks I work with told THE ENTIRE GROUP! which I wasn't planning to do. Everyone has been amazingly supportive, even my mother!!!! <gasp!>

Hi Newlife. 1. The gas does go away. GasX chewables helped me a lot. I did have the left shoulder pain for about a month. I thought something was terribly wrong, but the doc says sometimes it happens. It's actually also gas, but feels worse.

3. I also use the source of life Vitamins. I sprinkle powdered Vitamin c on watered-down grape juice & take viactive chewable Calcium.< /p>

4. My co-workers don't know, but keep commenting on my weight loss. From other conversations I know they're very judgemental on the "will-power" issues. It's none of their business. Only my very immediate family knows & one close friend. I'm still waiting to tell my mother (notice that I was banded in December)

Also, you do have other choices for Protein drinks. Check out your local healthfood store. I use Spiru-Tein, but there are others.

Sounds like you're already doing great. Best of luck, and you're at the right place for support.

Hey New Life, Congratulations on your band. We are neighboors, I live in Orange County California, send me a PM, maybe we can meet sometime, I would love to meet a local bandster and have a band buddy close by :)

I have a few questions:

1) Will the gas ever go away? YES most definitely!!! Byt the time you read this it is probably gone!!!

2) Has anyone used any of the scar therapy treatments to shrink/smooth the scars? If so, what brand and how soon should I begin using it? I've never tried them...was more concerned with them healing and the scab falling off so I could go back to Water aerobics back then....

3) Does anyone know where I can get any good multi-Vitamins in liquid form? Try this site http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/query.jhtml?q=liquid+vitamins&x=16&y=15&intsource=main I've heard good things about the "Source of Life" Liquid....read the ingredients...it will amaze you!

4) I am still debating over whether to tell friends and co-workers about the surgery (only my immediate family knows). Does anyone regret telling friends about it? The only people who knew BEFORE the surgery were my family and my boss (didn't want her to think it was a life-threatening surgery and she was/is very supportive!).... I was still in the "fat person" mind set...always thought that when I told people i was on a diet or anything, i was set up for immediate self-sabotage....soooooo...I waited till after...and when people started noticing that i was losing and I was convinced they would think of it as a good thing....if they asked how i did it...I told them...didn't want to lie....there is only one person I work with who i feel uncomfortable around...because she was convinced WW was the answer....and it worked...till i gained it all back and then some...well you know all that....but she kinda stays away....luckily i dont work closely with her. sweet gal and it makes me feel awkward....but that was the only one. now everyone who asked knows and I also speak at the seminars and am in charge of the support group so it keeps me motivated.....no regrets at all...was the best thing i could have done for myself!

Thanks in advance for your support in answering any of my questions. This website has been a Godsend.

Congrats New Life.

I, too, was banded on March 29th. My issues are just like yours. Abd. gas, bloating, and I am having pain with 1 of my incisions, which also is the port. If I just move a certain way........I could kill somebody.

I have lost 5 lbs so far and I am still on liquids.

I chose not to tell anyone. Due to her health reasons, I couldn't tell my mom. So, if I couldn't tell her, I wouldn't risk telling anyone else.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Terri