Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm Christy and I'm a newbie to this site. I've finished my pre-op tests and I'm waiting on insurance approval. I'm a low BMI bander, just at 40, I'm being banded by DR. Greene in Rockville MD and I can't wait.

Welcome Christy! I'm just starting my process and I'm also a low BMI person 5'7" and 255 with just barely 40 bmi, but with horrible degenerative lumbar disk disease and high blood pressure (which is totally controlled with medication). I'm still waiting for authorization to see the bariatric surgeon which hopefully will come today then it will be all of the tests before they will submit to Healthnet for final approval. Please let me know what you've been through, and Good Luck! I will keep positive thoughts for you...... April (in Northern California)

April

I began researching WLS about a year ago and finally made up my mind and went to a seminar on March 23rd and had my consult with Dr. Greene on March 27th. I finished my pre-op tests, psych consult, nutrition counceling, and exercise classses this week and now I'm waiting for them to put it through to the insurance. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't have any major health problems just back pain which I've had since I was a teen, way before the weight issues started, so I 'm not sure if that will go away or not.

Do you have to do the six month diet? I do not with BCBS Federal.

Edited by busymama

Hi Christy! I found out this afternoon that my PCP submitted for approval to my medical group and not to Healthnet which is required. The patient coordinator at the surgeon's office called and left a detailed message for my PCP and then emailed me what she had done. I'm just in awe of her because I haven't even been approved to be seen at their office yet! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us - I know the waiting is just horrific. I don't know about a diet - they are still playing tennis with my paperwork! As soon as I find out, I will post, and please let me know about your progress too.

Good Luck!!! I also have a BMI of 40, with sleep apnea. They can't deny you if you meet all guidelines of what your insurance company requires. I have Aetna HMO. Search you surgery requirements with your insurance company. I also live in Maryland, I'm getting my surgery at GW with Doctor Moazzez on 5/29/08. I was feeling just like you until I read all of Aetna's requirements, and of course support from thsi site.