Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quite possibly regretting my UCSD decision

At UCSD all my appointments were private. I sat in one private room and the six people came to me. All individually. There was never more than one other person in the room with me and I don't think there was in the original post to this thread either. And instead of having to make separate appointments for each consultation I got them all over with the same day. In my view that is very professional and UCSD did an excellent job.

Actually, no. I think on only a couple of occasions was there only one other person besides me in the room. The nutritionist came in with another person, there were 2 psychologists (talk about intimidating -- especially because one was rude), and one of the surgeons came in with a nurse. So it went: nurse alone, surgeon (not my surgeon), 2 psychologists, physician (again not my surgeon), 2 nutritionists, surgeon (not my surgeon), another different surgeon (not my surgeon) + nurse, then patient advocate for a total of 11 people.

As far as an update . . . I am glad that you had a professional experience, Susan. Just keep in mind that the people at UCSD ARE reading this thread, which I think is just ridiculous.

Furthermore, I discovered today that I have been lied to by UCSD. One of the nurses there told me that they would submit my pre-authorization to my insurance company right away, but that me having to lose 5 pounds in 4 weeks wasn't going to slow down the process because it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get approval from insurance anyways. This was right before another surgeon told me that if I was self-pay, I'd be in the operating room the following week. Whatever.

Well, I spoke with my insurance company today and they said that they don't have anything from UCSD yet, but that it doesn't take 4-6 weeks for approval -- it just takes a simple phone call with a surgery date and a morbid obesity diagnosis and I'm good to go. Apparently, I have REALLY good insurance for this procedure.

So . . .anyways . . . what a CROCK. I met with my new surgeon today. I have lost 14 pounds trying to comply with UCSD's 4-week thing (so that is the only GOOD outcome from the whole fiasco), and I am going to be able to get my band very, very soon. Due to my own personal schedule and recovery times, I either have to have the band before May 13 (and my new surgeon is going to try), or I have to wait until May 26 or later. In any case, I am very excited and happy about my new surgeon! Yay!

[And, if you're reading this, A, and you know who you are . . . thank you for the referral!] :party:

Edited by SanDiegoPhotog

I started there too but decided to meet one more surgeon and I am so glad I did!

I am getting banded May 7th one month after seminar and meeting new surgeon. He was with Scripps but now has his own practice.

Dr. Bhoyrul

858-457-4917

He is great and his patients adore him!

I am self pay so didn't have insurance holding me up, however, he calls Liz his "rotweiller" due to her diligence and sucess in dealing with the insurance companies.

UCSD was going to charge me $1000 just to meet the surgeon the first time. I have had 5 appointments here, no charge then paid 1/2 on day surgery was planned and the rest the day of surgery.

Jennifer,

It's funny that you said that . . . because that's who I am going with! I thought Dr. Bhoyrul was GREAT! My insurance paid the $1000 to UCSD and I STILL didn't meet Dr. Horgan . . . after the seminar and the 3-hour exam.

But, guess what? I've already met Dr. Bhoyrul, he's accepting all of the work that has been done so far and is pleased with my weight loss. I have to drop off paperwork to him tomorrow and I think they'll be able to schedule my surgery date this week. YAY!!!!!!

This is nothing against Dr. Horgan . . . as I know he is a very fine surgeon and his experience speaks for itself . . . but, I've never met the man and the UCSD process just wasn't for me. This was too personal of an operation for me to deal with when I didn't feel like there was ONE person who could help me.

I'm very excited about going through this with Dr. Bhoyrul and his staff.

Jennifer, please keep me posted on how it goes.

I was wondering how things were going for you. I'm glad that you have everything squared away and everythings going your way. Dr. Bhoyrul is an excellent physician and he will be with you every step of the way. You are in good hands. So far I'm doing just fine and couldn't be happier.:biggrin2:

So glad to hear it!

I had my surgery last Wed. and all went fine. One word of advice..do be diligent about the clear liquid diet pre-op and here is why; as part of the surgical process (and I had never heard anything about this) you will be inflated with CO2 to expand everything and make more room for the doctor to move around. This was and still is the most painfull part of the recovery process! The air bubbles move all around your torso, even up into your shoulders and take up to 5 or more days to dissipate. The more you shrink your liver chances are the less they will inflate you! I was diligent and still had a liver "larger than he would have liked."

Anyone who says the pre-op diet isn't miserable is lying! It is hard, it is lonely and depressing but you can do it, and I believe it is the hardest part. I am already eating small bits of cottage cheese, yogurt and creamy Soups just days after surgery, however it's easy now because your just not hungry!

I have about 12-16 muscle milk shakes that I don't need and you will to get through the pre-op. They are quite pricey so perhaps I can get them to you. I will be going to the next support group which you can do before surgery, I did, so keep in touch. :wink2:

At UCSD all my appointments were private. I sat in one private room and the six people came to me. All individually. There was never more than one other person in the room with me and I don't think there was in the original post to this thread either. And instead of having to make separate appointments for each consultation I got them all over with the same day. In my view that is very professional and UCSD did an excellent job.

I was just banded by Dr. Horgan this past Wednesday. My experience was excellent all the way through, and I think he is the cat's meow.

As far as UCSD reading the posts, I don't mean to disagree, but why wouldn't they? I think personally it is like a round table when one can see truly how they are doing for QC purposes. I know I would want to monitor boards if I were them to know how to IMPROVE the process. I would not want PC letters...I would want a straight shooter giving me the hard and fast truth.

I went to Dr. Horgan on a personal recommendation of a friend of mine who has lost a good 70+ lbs since her surgery. I have no regrets at all...and I still hurt like there's no tomorrow, but I am only 3 days post op, so that is all normal I guess. :tt2:

ANYWAY, I am glad you went elsewhere as that makes the most sense for you. I don't think there would have been anything that could have been done considering you felt you had such a bad experience from the start. Congrats on your banding. The most important thing is that the journey has begun!

God bless,

Kristin

I am also borderline, I am 222 with a BMI of 36. In the surgery group I am with I DO NOT have to do a pre diet, I DO NOT have to do more than 2 physical appointments with their office outside of the seminar and I got my letter of approval in the mail on June 16 and my surgery is now scheduled for July 17. UCSD is a university medical center and they are more into teaching than the patients so you will need to jump through many hoops to get your surgery.

If you are willing to drive to Beverly Hills, I have a great surgeon for you:wink2: but I am sure you will be able to find one local to you that will treat you on an individual level. Do some shopping around.

I went to a seminar last Tuesday and I was the only one even there for lap banding because insurance wouldnt pay for it usually.

Im the one in the thread second thoughts and was so upset after my seminar I actually backed away, until the next day. Im going to Mexico I decided now, no insurance, I had just signed up for that seminar a month earlier and decided I should go and see if I could learn something.

I came home feeling very down and discouraged too. They weighed me as less than I weigh here at home but like you they took an inch off for the heels of my track shoes to get my height down so I had a higher BMI. I also posted that I was afraid to lose any weight or I couldnt get the surgery, My BMI was 38.9 by their measurements. I got 38.7, same same, but if I lost 10 lbs or so, I would be below 35 BMI.

I totally get where you are coming from and everyone says, I cant tell you what to do, its up to you. No support or help. Even the people here thats what they said.