Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholic beverages?

I'm almost 24... so I've not quite outgrown my partying years. What do you guys do about drinking?? Do you still drink? Cut out beer? Only do shots? No alcohol at all (if you drank before)? My hubby and I drink <responsibly> with friends practically every weekend!! That's the one thing I'm really wondering about... can I still drink a little? I mean I'd be okay if I could just throw back a few jagerbombs... or just straight jager :)

I only rarely can stand the thought of wasting calories on alcohol (and the increased snacking that happens after the alcohol), so I rarely drink anymore. When I do, I stick to wine, usually. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. But then, I'm 34. It might have been different at 24, I don't know.

My suggestion is to slow down, but you don't need to stop. The problem is that alcohol is high calorie.

I RARELY ever drink anymore, but that's just me.

Think of it this way, one or two glasses of beer or wine per day is actually good for your heart. :-)

No beer. No fruity drinks. Shots will knock you on your ass like you won't believe.

Find a mixed drink you like and drink it slowly.

If you don't lose quickly enough think about not drinking to see it's impact. If not drinking isn't an option you have bigger problems than being overweight. Just saying...

My doctor says if you're going to drink, stick to very dry white wine or vodka. Those have the fewest calories/carbs. I myself love to drink wine, and have not found it to be devestating to my diet. In fact, one study that I read about said that patients who enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner lost more weight than those that didn't. After all, alchohol can help you de-stress and stress keeps the pounds on.

lol... no alcohol isn't a problem and if I had to I could easily never drink again. Smoking, on the other hand, will be a challenge to quit. When I've dieted before I've always drank diet sprite and either bicardi limon or absolute citron vodka... but since soda is a no-go I'm still scratching my head on what to mix it with. juice wouldn't be a great idea since it's high calorie, would it? On the average Saturday night I'll have three drinks or beers and if there's jager we'll all toss it down until the bottle is empty... I <3 jager... puts me in a warm happy place :-). So in other words, 2-5 shots.... but that's just jager, not all liquor. I can't do a lot of hard liquor. Jager is just a lequer (sp?). I don't binge drink and would be fine with drinking a little less at a time. But of what?

If all this sounds silly... lemmie explain a little more. I'm still considering the lap band and I want to do things the right way. I want to know that I can adapt my lifestyle to what it needs to be. I don't know many people my age who don't drink and I'm trying to think of a way to be able to take part in the festivities without overdoing it or killing my diet/restrictions. I'm not an alcoholic, I promise, just looking for what would be my best options.

When I've dieted before I've always drank diet sprite and either bicardi limon or absolute citron vodka... but since soda is a no-go I'm still scratching my head on what to mix it with. juice wouldn't be a great idea since it's high calorie, would it?

Hey Kaytie! I'm an old married woman with a couple of kids, but I like to have a cocktail from time to time myself. We get together with a group of friends about once a month or once every other month and we all like to have a few drinks. I've been pondering this very question for a year. I don't drink a lot anymore, but I didn't want to be banned for life.

I'm a vodka drinker anyway and my favorite thing is to mix it with fizzy, flavored Water. I can't do that anymore so I've decided I could live with mixing it with diet juice. Ocean Spray has several diet juices that are made with Splenda. There are also several blends that are "light" which means no added sugar from what I can tell. The light has more carbs and calories than the diet, but I can't remember the numbers right now. The diet juice has 5 calories and 2 g carb per 8 oz serving. I would be willing to have those from time to time and it probably won't do too much damage to my weight loss. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

I have a glass of wine every now ann again. My doc has no probelm with me having a glass of red wine every night, in fact, he told me that studies showed that a small glass of red wine was good for you. I am going on vacation in about 3 weeks and I plan to drink. Mostly frozen fruity numbers instead of my usual scotch or dirty martinis. I dont think I could handle that and I dont think my husband wants to spend his vacation peeling me off the bathroom floor of our hotel everynight. I suspect he has other plans *wink wink*

I was banded in January and haven't had any drinking problems thus far. I don't drink beer or mixed drinks that require soda, but have had everything else. I drink a few each weekend. :thumbup:My most common drinks of choice - wine or mixed drinks w/fruit juice. So far it hasn't been a detriment to my weight loss, but if my weight loss slows, I'll back off, unless I'm on vacation!!

I drink cosmos. They have just a splash of cran juice, enough to make em pink.

Just be aware of the calories you are consuming, is the overall message.

You'll be fine.

Smoking like you said, is rough. But if weight loss is part of a healthier better you, I expect you'll drop the habit at some point. There comes a point in time where you're like, this just doesn't make sense anymore.

Good luck.

When I do have a drink I drink vodka and mix it with crystal light ruby red grapefruit juice. It's just like the shake and go but I mix it in a picture because it makes 2 quarts. The juice is also good to drink by itself if you like ruby red grapefruit juice.

I tried to drink a beer one night while I was ironing, just because I was craving it and I was 'mad' about something. I couldn't drink it. Too much bubbly.

:lol:

I was a big beer drinker before the band. I now drink wine. Right now I have little restriction so I drink a beer every once in a while. I sip it slowly and I don't have any problems. It doesn't hurt and I don't burp if I don't gulp it. You can mix alcohol with crystal light or learn to drink it with Water. Jack and Water isn't too bad. A shot of jager wouldn't be too bad just don't get too drunk as you might get sick. I occasionally have a margarita but that is a lot of calories.

I drink a glass of water between drinks so that I don't drink too much. Now that I eat so much less and weigh a lot less I don't want to get sick. It doesn't take as much as it used to.

I feel my weighloss is effected by alcohol. I however choose to drink wine for other reasons that I would like not to share here :crying:. I would like to loose weight faster but have to consider other things too.

I have just realized that my carb intake was probably one of my problems - I was eating what everyone else was but just not as much. I have been trying to increase my Protein and decrease carbs - - hope it continues to help.

I have had 7 fills thus far and still do not have much restriction. I go in for another fill in 2 weeks and am not looking forward to that as the last few times have not gone well.

Wish me well.

I know for me personally before surgery I partied a lot on the weekends going out drinking on Sat night followed up by champagne brunch on Sunday mornings, but since I've had the band I find I just can't get the cocktails down like I used to. This past Sunday at brunch I couldnt even finish a bloody mary! It kind of bumms me out that I can't drink like I used to, but then I think of all the calories and money I'm saving!

weight.png