Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Canadian Process:

Alrighty, I've been banded, as of yesterday. I'm taking Demerol and Gravol every four hours, not because I'm in pain, but just in case! I actually have had little to no discomfort so far. I'm walking around, sitting in different positions, I slept through the night, it's all been good so far.

BUT, I'm SO hungry! I'm on clear fluids until Wednesday, then full fluids and I don't know if I can do it. I'm scared to stray off of the diet, because I don't want to harm the band. On the other hand, I found myself sucking on a cookie an hour ago... then I felt horrible for doing it. Now I'm terrified I've screwed something up.

Geesh! I'll be happy when recovery is over and done with! Anyone have tips for getting through this time?

Stick with the post op diet. Tell yourself (and it is true) that you will have spent a lot of money just to mess up your band for a cookie! Try Jello (which is a clear), take 1/2 c. broth every hour, sip some juice for flavour, lots of Water, but STICK TO IT! It is important for the band to settle in ordr for the surgery to be successful. Hang in the BettyB - We have done it and you can too!

Betty Boop, you know its gonna be hard for the next 6 weeks until you start getting fills.

Try your very best to stick to the instructions given.. Its the best way to avoid complications and you don't want that.

Cookies are not leaving the planet.... just wait!

Alrighty, I've been banded, as of yesterday. I'm taking Demerol and Gravol every four hours, not because I'm in pain, but just in case! I actually have had little to no discomfort so far. I'm walking around, sitting in different positions, I slept through the night, it's all been good so far.

BUT, I'm SO hungry! I'm on clear fluids until Wednesday, then full fluids and I don't know if I can do it. I'm scared to stray off of the diet, because I don't want to harm the band. On the other hand, I found myself sucking on a cookie an hour ago... then I felt horrible for doing it. Now I'm terrified I've screwed something up.

Geesh! I'll be happy when recovery is over and done with! Anyone have tips for getting through this time?

Walk around as much as you can, take the drugs if you need them, if you don't just go slow and don't push it too much.

DON'T STRAY it is only a few weeks of your life... you can do it. I used to freeze juices so I could get the sensation of chewing something solid in there I really missed chewing a lot. I wasn't overly hungry for most of the liquid phase but that was just me.

Keep going

Heather

Alrighty, it's day 3. I feel incredble! Gas pains are almost all gone (they were the worst) and only one of the incisions hurt on and off. I haven't taken any drugs since this morning (I'm trying to get off of them by tomorrow so I can return to work soon).

But, the hunger is getting WORSE. I'm doing the broth, Water and juice thingm but I honestly do not know if I'm going to make it to Wednesday. I think I'll call the clinic tomorrow and ask if I can bump up my full Fluid phase... I fear if I don't, I will end up cheating and damaging the band.

Did anyone have gurgling like gas moving through their belly after the surgery? Not painful, but weird feeling? Or hunger growls?

I felt like i was pregnant again,I found it felt like the baby moving.It was like something crawling inside you.It will get better:smile2:

My stomach makes really funny noises now. That and burping (where I never really did it before) are the fun side effects. They don't bother me though.

Please, please just have more juice or broth etc. They give us these diets for a reason, not to punish us and you really want to stick to this. Drink more Water too. Are you sure you are really hungry or just missing eating? That is sometimes that part that we confuse with hunger.

Hang in there and keep yourself busy and you'll soon forget about food (at least for a little while)

Mary

Thanks Guys, you're awesome! I have not cheated... I can't focus on anything else, so time is going by REALLY slowly, but I've read through this entire site, scared myself straight and am drinking only Endura and Water. I start full liquids on Wednesday, so only one and a half days left to go!!!!! :rolleyes2:

Thanks for alll of the help and support. I can't WAIT to start the real work and finish the recovery stage!

Way to go! Look how well you've done already.

It'll be nice to advance to the next stage.

Take care,

Mary

When I finally graduated to full fluids, my husband got me lobster bisque from a fancy restaurant nearby. I thinned it with a little milk and strained it to make sure there weren't any "bits" in it.

Unfreakin' believably good.

Maybe you can plan to have something really special for yourself when you graduate to full fluids too.

When I finally graduated to full fluids, my husband got me lobster bisque from a fancy restaurant nearby. I thinned it with a little milk and strained it to make sure there weren't any "bits" in it.

Unfreakin' believably good.

Maybe you can plan to have something really special for yourself when you graduate to full fluids too.

That is a great idea. I like Red Lobster's clam chowder & my husband would definately go get it for me. :biggrin2:

You have to make every effort to get your mind off food. Drink plenty of clear warm broth. The TLBC site has some ideas for post op patients. Exercise will take your mind off hunger. Go for a walk around the block. Exercise has an ability to dim the appetite. Take a warm bath while you soak read. Anything to take your mind off food. You can do it. You had the courage to get the band you have the courage to go without food for a few weeks. You can do it.