Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopped in my closet!!!!

Like most of us that have had our weight fluctuate over the years, I have an assortment of sizes in my closet to pick from. Well, I decided to go and see what I could find that fit today that didn't fit me on 2/25/08 (surgery day). I came out of my closet with a pair of Lee jeans, size 18 and 4 shirts. 2 of the shirts I bought some time ago and never tried on until I got home, of course they didn't fit then. I stored them away thinking that someday they would fit. Someday was today. Now the Lee jeans are straight legs and just a little out of style but that will not stop me from wearing them. The shirts are still in and that pleases me.

Has anyone else shopped in their own closet and felt sooooo great about it? It sure beats the price of going to the store. I am sure that will come soon enough, when I am out of the closet ....hehe, but for now the closet is good for me. :redface: I am constantly looking for my non-scale victories:smile:

The Lee jeans are diffinately mom jeans too. My 4 "new" shirts are long enough to cover down to my butt so the straight legs are the only give away. I am looking forward to some low rise bell bottoms. My luck they will be out of style by the time I look good enough to buy some...hehehe.

Just to add, I found soooo many shirts with padded shoulders in my closet. Are they still in style ( I have my fingers crossed). I they are I will be looking sooo GLAM!!!

Edited by cantweight2go

cut the pads out and still use the shirts! lol

maybe i'll go shopping on the shelves in my closet this weekend, good idea!

Yeah, I did this too. I have jeans and stuff from 14 up in my closet and I got up to a 28. I was pushing 28, I had actually bought a few 28's.. they were a tinge baggy, but the 26's were too tight. I'm officially back into a size 24. Every 24 bottoms I tried on actually fit me! I was shocked. I'm also down from a 3x shirt to a 2x shirt. Wahoo! I went shopping at Ross today and got a crudload of stuff for under 100 bucks. I even found a skirt for $3 there! It was nice trying on clothes and having them fit... I was starting to not be able to shop there anymore as their stuff doesn't really go past 28 or 3x. When I get to 22 I can really do some shopping in my closet as I have tons of that size!

I had my banding done Aug 07. Started with 277 lbs., size 34. Eight months later I'm down to 229, size 22. Through the years I saved all my "thin" (everything that got too small) clothes, always thinking I'd be back in them shortly. Well, you all know this game. I never got smaller. Then the band. I flew through 5 sizes almost before I could blink. There were some weeks where I'd try something on, it'd be a little too small. I'd try it on 10 days later and wow! - too big. This was the best incentive to keep to my diet and try to workout a little more than the week before. I've slowed down quite a lot now due to all the muscle I'm building. I can't believe what I can do now. My closet doesn't have any more clothes from my pre-op days. My husband is terrific and says nothing about all the money I have to spend buying new clothes. I try to only buy clearance. In fact, he keeps showing me pics of high skirts, plunging necklines, etc. Now if I can only adjust to the new me, I might just buy some of them. Sexy has not been in my vocabulary for over 30 years!

I am hoping that shopping in my closet is an option. I have a lot of weight to lose, but just can't see myself spending lots of money per size. Until I can afford (or out of necessity have to go on) a shopping trip, I am wearing my clothes with belts - remember those? I have 2 or 3 fashionable belts and wear my big shirts and blouses over the skirts/pants and use the belt to cinch things in. I am hoping I can get by for 15-20 pounds before I will just HAVE to give in and go bargain shopping. No big sprees until I am at goal which right now is still just a glimmer in my mind's eye!

I know exactly what you mean. My 18's are super baggy on me now but the 16's are still a little snug on me, hopefully by next week that will not be a problem.

It's nice to not have to worry about going out and buying clothes on my way back down the scale.< /p>

But the difference this time is that as each size gets to big for me it is headed off to the Goodwill never to be seen again:thumbup:

I had my banding done Aug 07. Started with 277 lbs., size 34. Eight months later I'm down to 229, size 22. Through the years I saved all my "thin" (everything that got too small) clothes, always thinking I'd be back in them shortly. Well, you all know this game. I never got smaller. Then the band. I flew through 5 sizes almost before I could blink. There were some weeks where I'd try something on, it'd be a little too small. I'd try it on 10 days later and wow! - too big. This was the best incentive to keep to my diet and try to workout a little more than the week before. I've slowed down quite a lot now due to all the muscle I'm building. I can't believe what I can do now. My closet doesn't have any more clothes from my pre-op days. My husband is terrific and says nothing about all the money I have to spend buying new clothes. I try to only buy clearance. In fact, he keeps showing me pics of high skirts, plunging necklines, etc. Now if I can only adjust to the new me, I might just buy some of them. Sexy has not been in my vocabulary for over 30 years!

You were a size 34 at 277 lbs?? did you write that correctly? Because I was almost able to squeeze into a 24 at that weight...

I was ALL belly and boob. I did lose about 30 pounds before the band and I was a 34 then. I guess I was more a 30-32 at banding. Losing the weight so fast and flying through the sizes can confuse your numbers. Sorry.

Congratulations to all you closet shoppers!!!! I am still in the same 30/32 tops and 26/28 pants I was at surgery time because I've only lost 20 pounds so far BUT...I have a closet full of the next size down clothes that I'm hoping to fit into in a month or so. I'll be so excited! I don't have any size below that though, so (optimistically speaking) if I keep losing weight by late summer I might have to start buying new things. WOO HOO!!!!!!

I was ALL belly and boob. I did lose about 30 pounds before the band and I was a 34 then. I guess I was more a 30-32 at banding. Losing the weight so fast and flying through the sizes can confuse your numbers. Sorry.

This is so true. It's almost bizarre how someone can weigh the same as you and yet be either much smaller in size or even larger.

I am much heavier than most ladies my size. I was actually able to squeeze into some size 16's in my closet right now. I couldn't believe it, as I haven't worn than size in a good 13 years! But I often wonder how that can be at my weight.

I must have great muscle tone or something... :biggrin:

Misbandaid, I have lost much more in inches than in weight. I think this is true for a lot of us. I started at a tight 22/20 and now my 18's are not tight and extreemly comfee. I almost feel like keeping them forever. I actually felt sexy today for the first time in a long time in my cloths.

Misbandaid, I have lost much more in inches than in weight. I think this is true for a lot of us. I started at a tight 22/20 and now my 18's are not tight and extreemly comfee. I almost feel like keeping them forever. I actually felt sexy today for the first time in a long time in my cloths.[/quote]

That is so great, isn't it?

It had been awhile for me too, and my husband is a very happy man! :rolleyes2: