Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 3/27. I am eating very runny soft food right now.

When I researched banding and spoke with people, I didn't get quite as much detailed information on all the PBs, sliming, vomiting, and other issues that are scaring me now. I am actually almost too scared to start eating real food.

Have others gone through this?

I am wondering how we can go through life "normally" if these things might occur. How could I take care of my young kids if I am in pain with food that is stuck or can't keep anything down after a fill? What do you do if you are eating out and something gets stuck? Especially if you are just with your kids?

I am at the point now where I can't imagine ever getting a fill based on the fear of pain and all these other things that just don't seem "normal".

Thanks for your help and trying to be non-judgemental.

I was a little nervous at first to go back on real food. I'm only a bit ahead of you, I was banded on March 5th.

I have found that it is ok and that I have to relearn to eat. You will have to as well, I think.

Just take toddler sized bites and chew them to mush. I have been sticking with easier to eat meats, like chicken and fish for now, but it's ok.

I had a small pb cause by swallowing air of all things. It wasn't bad enough to be horrible but bad enough to caution me to form new habits.

I think you'll be fine, you'll just have to start over and learn to eat over.

The secret truly is to eat very slow and pieces the size of a pencil eraser. You can tell when you get full with PBing. That is the best advice I can give you.

You know, I was actually really nervous about the exact same thing. I kept imagining that I would essentially be "vomiting" up my food all the time. But from what I understand PBing is different from that. And I finally decided to go through with my surgery when one person told me...you know what? Don't worry so much, it tastes the exact same coming up as it was going down. I know that still probably sounds pretty gross- but for some reason it made me feel better knowing that it wasn't surrounded by the disgusting "bile" taste that accompanies true vomiting. Bless you. I hope your fears subside. Your feelings are very valid and being a newly banded gal myself I empathize with you.

Not everybody slimes and PB's a lot. After a fill, we might get a little tight and forget how slowly to eat or forget to chew well enough, so the band reminds us of the new habits we need to use by sending a signal. I have rarely had food stuck (but yes a few times) and I PB'd once on a blackberry that I didn't chew well enough. In four 1/2 months, it's been maybe a total of five times (most of them in the early days right after banding). Don't worry,you'll figure it all out.

What is a PB?

What is a slime?

Someone please tell me what these things actually stand for and other terms that apply to the band. I am confused and have never heard some of these terms.

Been banded for 7 weeks now (and went on 'real' foods early) and have not had any of those problems at all. The key (I believe) is to be sensable about the amounts of food you eat and Chew, Chew, Chew. I was told to put my fork down between bites and slow way down on eating.

You may find that some foods have a hard time going down, Taco chips just kinda sit there for me now (ie take a long time to go through the band) - but thats ok, they're pretty much junk food anyway. Also carbonated beverages are totally gone for me as everytime I try them I get shoulder pain.

39 lbs so far (includes 2 week liquid diet pre-banding)

(PB=Productive Burping - when you burp and bring up food)

Edited by mnn2501

I think it is totally normal to be apprehensive about eating. I am 7 weeks out and have tried a few items and regretted it! It's ok. It is alot of trial and error, except common sense does come into play. meats are really hard for people to swallow anyway and require proper chewing, which most of us don't do. Small bites of moist food will be ok. Try using 'baby silverware' this helps to keep your bites small. Good luck, relax and talk to your dietician.

i've had 3 fills, am at 6.5cc's in my 10cc band and i have not pb'd yet - and i eat chicken, fish, steak...all with no problems. i chew my food very well - and i don't drink while i eat or after. i do not eat Pasta or bread or rice - but i don't miss them. i don't feel like i've given anything up. :biggrin: