Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor asked me today, "How did you do it?" He knows all the ins and outs of banding and patient care but as he was congratulating me on my success he wanted to know how I did things so he could share them with other patients.

I was banded by Dr. Daniel Huacuz, 2 visits for adjustments, then 2 visits for maintenance adjustments from Fill Centers. From a size 22 to a size 4/6.

No problems, no issues like slipped band, leaks, port flipping, pouch stretching (and this is the one he sees the most).

My response was "I let the band do it's job". I added that I didn't diet, as diets don't work.

I began with small steps of changing my life and lifestyle. My eating habits changed the most. I didn't deprive myself of anything, ate what I wanted when I wanted. But the fact was, I didn't want. I did not once want an entire pizza, like preband. I didn't once want a box of pasteries, like preband. I didn't want combo meals at drive thru, like preband. I had those things, but only a few bites til I was full and satisfied. And I now have a love of cooking, baking, preping foods rather than just nuke a frozen dinner.< /p>

Thru the course of the past year, there was a time when I heavily relied on the band. It had to tell me 'when' or what not to eat. Then as the months passed, I conciously made the decision. And for those times I ate too much, the band was my backup. Now that I'm on maintenance, it's mostly me and my choices...but it's nice knowing the band will always be there if I need it.

He told me something disturbing...that I will never be able to fully judge my portions. He went on to describe how it's embedded in our culture, that even if I did good for a while, even years...how overeating could creap back up on me. Portion Control, as in what I decide before I sit down to eat...that will be key for me. He said I should eat like a 9 year old... leave food on the plate. Not exactly sure about that yet, but I'm sure I will discover it over the coming months.

Eventhough my last adjustment was January, sometimes over the past few weeks I can't even hold down liquids. I thought it was the restriction kicking in...but after 3 months? Well, my doctor told me today it was stress related. And that I did notice as when my teenagers give me a difficult time, I spew like a warm Dr. Pepper.

Now, instead of having my "stop" for eating, I have an added plus of when I get really restricted...that is my "stop" for stress. When that happens I know to take a break, to take it easy....calgon take me away!

Who knew!

So, thanks to everyone on the boards. You guys are a wealth of information and experiences. Thanks for getting me thru my weightloss!

And for all you newbies, welcome to the board! Feel free to post any questions or concerns. You may encounter some negative feedback from time to time. Just remember that sometimes it's not you, it's them and where they are coming from. But I'm sure they wouldn't post it unless they genuinely wanted to help you. Keep your chin up!

I'll stop in from time to time and I wish you all, every one of you, the best!

Grace

Edited by GraceUtah

GRACE. good post. i find that stess is my bands worst enemy. i have hard time to eat when stressed. but i also dont lose when im stressed. so, im trying to make a few changes. i think im too driven and goal oriented at times. but if i try to chill and sit around on the couch i get stressed about all i could be doing and then i get up and get moving. the best relaxation for me is pool time in the sun. i ride and work out . reading at nite helps. what do other driven women do to chill out. do other women feel like they have to always be improving , like your income and amount of real estate you have and improving at your job. someone at work told me im too intense. i was like ...what ....im totally laid back. they said no way........ i love those little moments of insight through someone else perspective. so my question is what do you do to chill and why are some people so type A. i want to be one of those laid back kind of chicks that are always saying, no problem....

When I get stressed,it is during my lunch break i tend to tighten up and heartburn, and then puckie, does not happen very often anymore, but notice it is only when stressed it happens.

Dear Grace,

How inspiring it is to hear from someone like you. You are just what I need right now.......lots of positve information and support. I have always believed that attitude is 99% of the battle. I hope to keep a good attitude through this adventure. My surgery date is May 12 and I am both excited and a little nervous. This has got to work for me. My BMI is 38 but I also have high blood pressure and chronic back and knee pains. I used to be a very active person and I want to be able to continue an active lifestyle as I age. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You just don't know how much it means to us "newbies" I hope to hear from you as time goes on. Becky