Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded two years; Going on Nutri-System

Hi All,

Wow I can't believe it's been over two years since I got my band! I haven't been around this board in ages!

I'll make a really long story short. I lost weight great the first year, then started having problems with my band closing off and not being able to keep liquids down. So the short version is, my fill is too loose (because any tighter and I'm too tight).

Because of this loose fill I totally stopped losing weight and recently have even started gaining a couple of pounds here and there (about seven total). I'm still 85 pounds down from my start weight though so I am happy.

Anyway, in a last-ditch effort to avoid getting a fill I am trying Nutri-System. If anyone is in the same boat as me, and is on Nutri-System, let me know how it's going!

I'll keep ya'll posted.

--Becky

I did nutrisystem before the band, didn't loose any weight and the food is just awful!!! Nasty nasty nasty stuff! Before you go and spend the money you might want to get on ebay and try some of the stuff out first. I have a lot left over because I didn't cancel my subscription in time, if you want to try it I'd be more than happy to sell you what I have. I live in Ga so I don't know how much shipping would be, but let me know....I need to get on the ball and sell this stuff before it goes out of date! I am just trying to warn you though it really does taste awful. Oh yeah, plus if you watch the commercial there is a disclaimer that says "results not typical" when people say how much weight they have lost. You might want to also look into the medfast diet, my friend started that and she says the food is tolerable. Like I said, I'll sell you my stuff if you are intrested but I want you to know that it tastes horrible. Pretty much any diet you can think of that sells food you can find it on ebay so you can try it before you buy into the whole program. Medfast is the same. I stress to try the stuff before you spend the whole $250 on the program just to make sure you can handle the taste of the stuff!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Yea, and it's good for losing weight (if you can stick to it and don't mind the food) But the nutritional value of Nutrisystem is way low low low.

Sorry to lecture, you have probably researched it yourself and know what you are doing...I know I was deadset on it no matter what anyone's advice was. There are a lot of people out there who love it.

Hi Sunta, wow, your story sounds like mine. I lost great the first year, then got overfilled, let it go for way to long, couldn't keep anything down except ice cream. I ended up slipping my band from all the pb'ing, as well as irritating my esophagus. Needless to say, my doctor was not happy I let it go so long.

I had a complete unfill for quite a while and did put some weight back on as well. We decided I am one of those who needs to go very slow on the fills with only a teeny amount at a time. As of two weeks ago today, I have finally worked my way back up to my sweet spot again and am back to losing.

I have never tried Nutri-System, but I do know some people who have had success with it. Good luck to you and welcome back to LBT!

yeah i went on nutrisystem for about 2 months. i lost about 10 lbs, and was gagging on the food and gagging on the $500 grocery bill i was paying for MYSELF alone. plus, i dont know that you would get the full benefits from it because their "claim to fame" is that not only do you eat their meals, but you have add-ons (hence the $500 grocery bill) and they want you to eat like 5-6 times a day. which with the band, thats really not how we are supposed to be eating. i personally dont recommend nutrisystem for numerous reasons, but as they say, different strokes for different folks!! good luck!!!

A guy in my office did it and not only was it hard for him, he said the food was icky. He was only able to stick with it a month or so. He was only 20 pounds or so overweight. Now it appears that he is putting it back on. His clothes had gotten baggy and now they are fitting again.

Why don't you save yourself some money and try my pre-op diet?

One Protein shake in the morning, Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner. Then between meals sugar free Jello, sugar free Jello pudding (one a day), sugar free popsicle or fudcicle. salad and progresso Soup if needed.

I gotta tell you, the Lean Cuisine's are out of this world. Tonight I had Sesame chicken and it was great. They have sandwiches, pizzas, ethnic foods, and meat and potatoes. The calories range from 180 to about 350. I think you'll be far better off than Nutra-System.

I do agree with Jena about trying the lean cusine meals, plus they are way better taste wise than anything nutrisystem could produce. The only good thing about the nutrisystem is they put huge amounts of protien in all of their selections which is good if you can get the food down. If you are still thinking about nutrisystem try a practice run with the lean cuisines for a week. But I for one am here to tell you I'd much rather spend my money on the lean cuisines than the nutrisystem crap. Ugggg it was horrible!!!!! Most of the dinners looked like vomit and nothing like what you see on the comercials. Please don't get me wrong I am totally not trying to discourage you in anyway from trying a diet you think might work, I just hate to see someone be out all that money and find that the food is nasty.

I tried nutrisystem right before I decided to get the band and it lasted one day beacuse the food was so gross. This was their 'new and improved' food too, I actually had the chicken in red sauce (sauce was good) but could not eat the chicken due to the smell and texture. Gave it to my dog and even she hesitated at first, but eventually she ate it.

I sold the rest of my package on craigslist - try that and then you dont have to worry about a large shipping expense.

Becky:

Have you tried Weight Watchers? It might be more tasty, cheaper, and healthier than the nutri-system.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sue

Nutri-system food is...well....NNAAASSSTTAAYYYY! We are overweight due in part to our love of food. It was very hard for me (someone who loves taste) to even half way enjoy the food. After I spent $300 on there food I ended up basically living on salads, which added to the "bill"! There are people that are successful with it but I would like to know what they do to the food to make it tolerable on a daily basis. I would get to the Dr and do just a eeny-weeny fill. Go on liquids after to let your tummy settle then on to mushies! Good luck!

Add me to the list of people who tried Nutri-System and hated the food. I'm not a picky eater but I was gagging it down by the 3rd week. Dh decided to take over since we had spent so much money on it and he couldn't hack it either, he lasted 3 days. My SIL tried it after I did and the same thing happened with her. She lasted a few weeks. I love lean cuisine, a much better alternative. The upside is that I did loose weight on nutri system, I do feel it is balanced if you can eat the food. They add fish oil and much of the meat is texturized soy (and you can taste and tell both.) The downside is that within a matter of weeks I put on all the weight plus 10 pounds but perhaps with the band that won't happen to you. After that didn't work I began researching the band. Congrats on taking of 85 pounds!

Before you spend the money you might want to research The Zone by

Dr. Barry Sears. Maybe get the book A Week In The Zone and see what happens if you follow it for that long. I checked it out from my local library pre band at the request of my endocrinologist. It was the ways he wanted me to eat for metabolism and to keep blood sugar levels even....and it worked wonders!!! Eventually I plan to follow it again WITH my band, too!

Check it out!!;)