Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any TYPE 1 diabetics?

I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was 12 years old. I have to take insulin shots everyday because my pancreas doesn't make anymore insulin at all. So, even though I have been banded, I will have to take insulin the rest of my life. Since being banded, my insulin dosage has dropped more than half. I have been and am still a little resistant to insulin which makes things a little trickier for me. I'm going to ask my surgeon if I can take the metformin again to help me become non-resistant. The night after i was banded, I experienced a lot of low blood sugars, but was still able to go home the next day because the blood sugars became stabilized. I have good blood sugars throughout the day usually, except in the morning. So, right now I'm adjusting my insulin to find that right dose.

I am a type 1

I was 5 years old and almost died.

There is not many type oners out there at least that I have been able to find.

I am on the pump and WOW my daily intake used to be 130-150 units per day now I am at 35-45 units per day It is great

I feel so much better it is hard to play around with the insulin dose but it will be so worth it.

I am 10 months out and I still have to change my dose every so often.

_when I lose enough weight_

So far I have lost 90 lbs I still have about 50 to go

But I am so much healthier and happier

WE WILL ALWAYS BE ON THE INSULIN BUT IT CAN BE LOTS LESS (sorry I hit the caps)

and over all we will feel lots better

Hi oreokitty

I'm glad to at find at least one Type 1 on lapbandtalk! How long have you been on the pump? Were you on it before your surgery? If not, how long after your surgery did you start the pump? My doctor mentioned to me that I may be able to go on the pump after surgery (i don't know when). But from what I hear, the pump is a WONDERFUL thing!

I have been on the pump for 12 years now almost 13 yeras

Insurance has just changed it will cost us lots more to stay on the pump but I am trying my best it was such a life change I do not want to go back to shots.

I say if the insurance will cover the pump go for it.

I used to say it has made such a life change for me I will never go back to shots

Good luck I have the minimed brand They are great but expensive

I think having the pump made surgery easier I can easly adjust my does a few times an hour or a day.

Hello

I have been type one diabetic for 29years. I will be 33 tomorrow and get my surgery April 22:)))) I have been on the pump for 11 years and love it. I am nervous about surgery but sooooo ready to start getting my weight under control. How did you treat your lows in the hospital? That is one of my major concerns that I will get low and not be able to drink or eat enough to come up?!!

I lowered my basel rate lots

They do allow you to have carnarion drink

I brought with me some of the instant sugar gel just in case butI did not need to use it