Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's The Deal With Coffee?

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker and have a general question. Does anyone know why the ban on caffeine before surgery and three months post op?

My surgery date in May 20th but have been doing all of the preop requirements since January and am seriously missing my coffee in the morning!

did you ask your surgeon why? I didn't have to avoid anything prior to surgery. I also did not avoid anything after either. coffee can be an irritant to the stomach lining so that could be a possibility. If I had to give up my coffee I would be a royal bitch. LOL!!!

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker and have a general question. Does anyone know why the ban on caffeine before surgery and three months post op?

My surgery date in May 20th but have been doing all of the preop requirements since January and am seriously missing my coffee in the morning!

I was receiving so much information at the time it kinda bypassed me at the moment. Come to think of it I have been having an affinity with the moon, the wind whipping my hair as I fly pass on my broom. (snicker)

did you ask your surgeon why? I didn't have to avoid anything prior to surgery. I also did not avoid anything after either. coffee can be an irritant to the stomach lining so that could be a possibility. If I had to give up my coffee I would be a royal bitch. LOL!!!

Amen Penni!

I didnt have to give up coffee pre OR post op! Good luck...

Nope, no coffee ban here either. Of course, I think banning coffee in Seattle has got to be illegal, or something.

In fact, my nutrishionist said to drink a latte every morning as a way of getting my milk in...

This is what my Dietation that.. its NOT the coffee.. but the Caffeine.. its makes you Dehydrated Thats why they "say now coffee" unless its DE-Caff... Yuck LOL ...

I have to agree when you live in eastern WA to say "No coffee or Caffeine" should be illegal! Decaff just doesn't taste the same, quite a few people have said it tastes the same but I disagree. Ah well five months to go before I can have my coffee again. It just seems a little like it's one more task in a huge list of things I'm required to do for this. Has anyone else felt like they were given the tasks of Hercules before it was ok to have the surgery? I've been doing pretty well, I havn't quite managed the six days a week of exercise they want (my average is five). I'm being good about the daily Vitamins and Water but am still eating out on occassion and indulging in the occasional cookie. How did you all keep it together in the weeks and months before your surgeries?

I gave up coffee a long time ago, it took years to get over, but I love my Tea, and there's caffeine in Tea. I was never told to give it up...

Thanks for the responses, I have been drinking a lot of herbal teas, there are a lot of varieties out there. Curious how doctors differ in what they require. I have heard a couple of theories on coffee including the dehydration mentioned by TrishS and the other that it affected insulin levels. ??

Guest Vauren

*L* he didn't restrict my coffee before, but did caution me about herbal teas! especially those that contain ginseng, etc. I haven't had coffee after yet, but I'm only 5 days post op and was just allowed a Protein shake today. I would think it would be too acid for me now, but my surgeon didn't mention anything either way on it.

And I realize that was NO help at all... *grins*