Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taken off metformin/weight gain.......

kamicola,

I just realized you haven't been banded yet so good luck to you, it was a breeze for me to go through the surgery and recover so I wish the best to you during yours also and I'll let you know when I find out from the endo doc what's up, brandyII.

Just an FYI, people who do not have PCOS do not understand, but anytime I get off of Metformin I gain weight. My surgeon also told me not to take the Metformin after surgery because it is time release and you cannot crush it. He said I won't need it anyway. Although I did not gain, I did not lose until I put myself back on it. After that, the weight started falling off. If you can handle it, I would get back on Metformin.

Banded08

My Endo put me on Actos Metformin (both medicines in one pill) and it is not time released. I chop mine up in about 3 pieces and I don't have trouble taking it. Maybe you could ask to get for the ones that are not time released. The Actos Metformin doesn't upset my stomach either like Metformin does for many. I'm not sure if I'm just super lucky or if there is a difference in the two. Good luck!

Chickie, I just started to write and lost it somewhere, so either you got it or you didn't and it took me a couple weeks to realize your avatar was from Little Britain, one of my faves, but I love Ann and the Scottish Inn Keeper the best, it's hard to choose.

Anyway that has nothing to do with my question. I see that you've been very successful in your weight loss etc... and was wondering after going to another forum about WLS and some people who supposedly were "banded" said that they could not tolerate eating ice cream. Is that possible on the band if it's tight enough. I know it's kind of a weird question but it's one of my down falls and I know I just have to be more careful but still I wanted to ask your opinion on typical "slider" foods. Thanks, brandyII. And please "don't give me your evils"!

I wub Little Britain. Ann is a shocker. I think she/he is fab.

To your question.

I personally can eat ice cream. I chose not to because it's a nutritionally void food, but if I wanted to, I am sure I could eat a tub with no worries. I don't know how tight you would have to be to PB a liquid (ice cream is considered a liquid once it hits the stomach and melts), but I am assuming that's pretty dammed tight.

That said every single band is different, so perhaps there are folks out there who can't tolerate ice cream.

(Sorry it took so long to get back to you... Life has gone to hell in a pretty pink hand basket)

Chickie,

I loved when Ann threw out the Guinea pig when she was staying with her analyst, you can't top that one, well maybe you can, lol. Sorry your life is going to hell in a pink hand basket. I get confused sometimes whether people say they can't eat ice cream physically or if it's like you and you're just being strong. Anyway "eh eh ehhhh" Ann speak, brandyII

I agree with Banded08. If I am not on metformin I gain weight also, no matter how I am eating. I told my surgeon this and he said he had never heard of that, but if I wanted to stay on it after surgery than I could. I just need to be off of it the day before. I am going to continue to take it. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Vikki

HandInHand,

Thanks for the info, I still have to wait until May to see my endo but at least I'm not alone on this and maybe it will help me finally! Thanks again, brandyII.

I pb ice cream. Don't know why, but I do. I think because it is so cold. I just don't even go there anymore..

Georgia girl introduced me to a book that explains pcos and the effects it has on your body better than any I have ever read (and I have read several). It is called, "The Natural Diet Approach for PCOS and Infertility" It is by Nancy Dunne. I am still reading it, but it is awesome, and includes a diet that, while somewhat restrictive, really makes sense. It seems to be working well for me.. You can google her website and order the book there. Well worth the money!!

Best of luck to you!!

Hello Ladies, just my 2 cents:

I am not banded yet, I think I will have my Lap Band in May, but at the same time I have been working with my endo about the fact of big pills after the surgery.

He told me that for a while I should stick to the Metformin so I will enhance my weight loss with the band due to my PCOS, so he put me on Metformin liquid. The name of the medication is RIOMET, cherry flavor and I love it..

I told him that why he didn't tell me before, even without the band it is much easier to drink my 2000mg a day than chew the 4 pills...:biggrin2:

So don't give up the Metformin, just change to the liquid form. You will see the results faster.

He also told me that as I start loosing pounds he will gradually start reducing my Metformin intake.

Good Energy to everybody

Vicky