Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taken off metformin/weight gain.......

I was taken off metformin by my primary prior to surgery because he assumed I wouldn't need it because I was going "lose weight". I have most of the signs of pcos and he thought I had it but was never told definatively that I did have it.

I have facial hair, but I'm blond so I'm lucky and shave.

Have/had type II diabetes

Have so many skin tags that I can't count and want to wear turtlenecks all the time!

My periods are six weeks apart give or take a day or a week or whatever but I'm almost 48 and don't plan on having anymore children anyway

Can't go on the pill because I get/had blood clots in my legs

Really bad dandruff

Had a few uterine cysts but got an oblation

Forgot on meds for anxiety and depression clonapen and cymbalta

Naturally I have a weight problem and have put 20 pounds plus since surgery

Anyone with advice. I was put on synthroid for an inactive thyroid that was just discovered prior to surgery but still gained back all my weight and feel like a loooooser!!! but not the right kind of loser!!!! Never lost weight after being banded 7 months ago, lost it during the medifast phase. I see my surgeon on the 22nd of this month so I don't know what he's going to do with me:confused:

Thanks, brandyII

Edited by brandyII

Who would you suggest I go to an endocrynologist or my primary? I was never given the test strips/testing kit prior to surgery when I was first diagnosed with type II diabetes and when I saw a different endocrynologist as a part of my pre-surgery screening I told her this and she gave me one but this was prior to gaining back all the weight too. I had checked my sugar since but I guess I really don't know that much about it. I know I must sound stupid to you but I guess it didn't seem like an urgent issue or they would have given me the kit originally. Anyway I try to take control of my medical issues but I put things off because of the surgery and now that it seems like it's not working the way it should be I'm now trying to get back to the other health issues and trying to see if maybe they're playing a factor in my probs. Anywho, thanks for all suggestions, brandyII.

Edited by brandyII

Jack, can I assume you're not a woman with pcos? LOL.

Anyway I was put on liquid diet prior to surgery and did struggle with that also and lost about 20 pounds which was not 10% of my body weight, just shy about five. Anyway it definitely was a struggle but I did lose weight that way but not now that I can eat "food". Still struggling with fills etc... also, had a few mishaps with them but I don't even think that's an issue. Thanks, brandyII.

Chickie, I just started to write and lost it somewhere, so either you got it or you didn't and it took me a couple weeks to realize your avatar was from Little Britain, one of my faves, but I love Ann and the Scottish Inn Keeper the best, it's hard to choose.

Anyway that has nothing to do with my question. I see that you've been very successful in your weight loss etc... and was wondering after going to another forum about WLS and some people who supposedly were "banded" said that they could not tolerate eating ice cream. Is that possible on the band if it's tight enough. I know it's kind of a weird question but it's one of my down falls and I know I just have to be more careful but still I wanted to ask your opinion on typical "slider" foods. Thanks, brandyII. And please "don't give me your evils"!

It sure sounds like there is an underlying health concern... I don't know how low your thyroid was, but a medication increase could be necessary. I haven't been banded yet, but was diagnosed with low thyroid last July. I increased meds once and my husband diagnosed at the same time has increased his meds twice, we both have good thyroid levels now.. but takes blood tests every few months to determine that.... also with your diabetes... pretty stupid of a doctor to take you off of a medication just because you are going to lose weight.... I would go back to your doctor, get tests... A1C and such and determine if you still need metformin or other oral meds for diabetes. You should have your blood work done at least every 3 months , if not more often until this problem gets under control. I have all of the same issues as you, besides the gaining weight after banding.... take control of yourself and learn everything you can about your diagnosed or presumed issues and demand the care from your physicians... or switch doctors... just one suggestion.... Naturopathic doctors take way better care of you and are better at diagnosing.... also... just for your info.... I went 10 years without being diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, as the range of NORMAL is huge with the American Medical Association.... your TSH should really be under 2, ideally under 1.... the other thyroid tests are very important as well.. I think there are like 3 or 4 blood tests to really truly determine a thyroid disorder... make sure you have all of them done! Don't let your doctors tell you that because your TSH is "in range" that you are ok..... do your research and if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help... I have done a ton of reading on diabetes and thyroid issues... I'll help in any way I can.

kamicola@yahoo.com

Kammi in Everett, WA

event.png

kamicola,

thanks for all the info, you sound like you know what you're talking about. I was originally sent to an endocrinologist when my gen practitioner thought I had pcos and also was found to have high blood sugar at that time but she said my thyroid was "normal" and put me on metformin and said "don't think that you're going to lose weight on this drug". I was like well I didn't but okay???? She had a really bad bedside manner and I had this feeling she hated fat people, I don't remember why I got this impression because it was a few years ago but I remember the feeling. Anyway I ended up losing about 20 pounds after that because I went on a diet drug that I don't remember anymore. Went back to her and she didn't change anything but they did take a blood test every time I went in and that was a big twice! My gen pract. had then written the Rxs for metformin.

Then, probably about 5 years later I decided to have lap band surgery and my surgeon was pretty thorough and he sent me through all sorts of testing. It was the blood test that I had done through them that caught the thyroid issue. I've heard there's a thyroid test that is very expensive and many don't have that test done, maybe that's what the one that caught the problem. I did a follow up with their endocrinologist and she's the one that put me on synthroid and I told her how I had been on metformin but my gen pract. took me off and didn't renew my prescription because I had lap band surgery (still hadn't gained it back yet) and she's the one that thought that was weird and I also told her how I never tested my blood sugar because no one told me to or how and was never given a kit. Anyway she whips one out and shows me how to use it and tested it right there so now I have one.

Unfortunately she never wanted me to follow up with her but did order some tests so I made an appointment anyway. Probably because I went there for pre-op to lap band and she possibly thought I'd see another endo or something, I have no idea but my script from her for synthroid runs out in a couple months so I'll have to find another doctor because she moved to another office much further than I want to travel.

Sorry for making this so long and I hope I'm making sense and not just rambling. OKay, I had surgery the end of last August and have put back all the weight I had previously lost on Medifast prior to surgery. I don't know why I totally screwed this up but you've said and so have others that I need to see the endocrinologist. I understand that I should take this into my own hands and find a new one, which by the way, there aren't that many endos here for some reason, but do you think this could be related to my weight gain? I can get on the scale one day and be five pounds heavier, it's awful. I tested my blood sugar yesterday and fasting was 125 but I kept it down most of the day with just one spike in the 250s and that was 2 hours after lunch which was mostly Protein. I don't drink any sugar drinks and rarely alcohol.

Anyway hate to lay this all on you but you seemed to know a lot about this and God knows when I'll get an appt. with a new endo.

Thanks for listening, brandyII.:regular_smile:

Just an FYI, people who do not have PCOS do not understand, but anytime I get off of Metformin I gain weight. My surgeon also told me not to take the Metformin after surgery because it is time release and you cannot crush it. He said I won't need it anyway. Although I did not gain, I did not lose until I put myself back on it. After that, the weight started falling off. If you can handle it, I would get back on Metformin.

Hmmmm.... as far as PCOS.... I was diagnosed it back about a year and a half before I got pregnant.... I tried so many things.... even got on the ovulation drugs... none of it worked.... then after I read a book that led me to the high Protein, low carb diet.... not the Atkins, but I can't think of the author or title right now... my husband and I started it and within 4 weeks my body was in ketosis, I lost like 18 pounds in those four weeks as well.... then.... 2 weeks later and I was pregnant... this is after trying and failing for 5 years.... I think a lot of PCOS is diet.... but now I am questioning whether I really ever had it.... although I do get the facial hair on my chin and have to shave everyday... that is so gross!, the rest of my body, I would not call hairy.... I haven't tried to get pregnant since my last child was born over 5 years ago as my weight made it not a good idea... I definately would go to an endocrinologist to start, but the thryoid issue is still questionable to me ... find a doctor that you can stick with for a long time and who specializes in PCOS and thyroid disorders... when you call for appointments at local doctor offices, ask them about the doctor and their specialties.... don't just go to a doctor because that is who you called first.... I still advocate for naturopathic doctors! But, you do what you feel is right and what your insurance covers... if you need any more info I will try to help.

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

I don't think there is a test that says "yes you have pcos" is there? I mean I have all the signs but fertility was never an issue for me because most of the signs happened after I was done having children. It seems that's the main concern with pcos is infertility but my focus is with all the other problems.

I have an HMO which allows me to pick my doctor from their list and so I do have to go by that. I'm going to schedule an appt. tomorrow and hopefully get in soon because I'm pretty sure I should still be on metformin. I'm always willing to hear homeopathic advice. I don't care as long as something works! Thanks, brandyII

just also check that thyroid issue... remember the medical field will tell you the range is from like .3 to 5.5.... although I think it has recently changed to .3 to 3.3.... but it really should be less than 2 or you could still have issues... your thyroid really effects your whole body. Good luck, thinking of you this week!

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Thanks,

I wrote those numbers down on the front of my diabetes log book so I'll have it with me when I see the dr. Thanks again, brandyII.