Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating on the 14 Liver Shrinking Diet

Hi out there- I just needed to vent. Its lunch time here at work. Since I went to bed last night I have been thinking about these amazing chicken quesadillas from a local mexican place here in Richmond. I had almost convinced myself that it was ok to go get some. Im 10 days into the liver shrinking diet, and frankly Ive come to despise carnation instant Breakfast, string cheese, and ham and turkey sandwiches. I know every Dr, has a different diet, this is the one Im on. Low carb, high protien. Its like Atkins. I wanted these quesadillas so bad today, I mean I had convinced myself and my friend at work it would be ok. My friend kept saying do you know how sick your going to be? Alli- why do it now. So I called my Mom, aka the voice of reason. I told her how I was feeling and what I wanted. She threatned to kick my butt. She said Ive come so far to undo all the good I have done. I just started crying. I dont know why I want these stupid quesadillas. Its just food. Why am I wanting something that isnt good for me? I feel like a crack addict. Im jonesing for a quesadilla instead of crack rock. AHHHH! :smile:

Well now that the light bulb went off in your head that you are a food addict.... use this experience the next time you want to go see your crack dealer of choice.

It's a craving, it will happen again. some people find AFTER the surgery and pre-op and post diet phases, that a small treat helps them, you know like a bite or two. Not me! A bite of two today turns into three or four the next day. Figure out which one your are and that will help.

your pre-op diet is fairly generous compared to some others, so I guess that's a good thing, but if you limit the carbs in your pre-op diet some of the cravings will get better.

The CIB has carbs, there are alternative Protein drinks with fewer carbs and the string cheese and turkey and ham are good, but on bread? If my Dr. told me I coould have those foods, I would too, but the carbs are so addictive for many of us.

Hang in there. Glad you called your Mom for advice and I hope you feel better now that you vented a bit. lunch will be over soon!

I have to admit that when I was on my liver shrinking diet I did cheat. But, I didn't feel bad about my cheat. I cheated twice. The first time, i was at Applebees for dinner and ordered a side salad with the fat free dressing (vinaigrette or something) which I NEVER have done. I'm a calorie packing, fat loading, French dressing lover all day long. But the salad was really good with the new dressing and made me think that I can change food choices and actually like them. I also had the Nachos appetizer, but I didn't eat them all. I listened to my stomach and as soon as I was full, I stopped. It was a whole plate left and I didn't take them home either. The second time I cheated, i went to a restaurant called Leonardo's for lunch. I had a gyro and fries. I ate half of everything and took the other half home for later. Since the surgery, I have not cheated and don't have cravings or the desire to cheat. I know this is so doable and that makes me excited to press on! Even with the oreos in the cabinet, the Ukrop's chicken, pizza, and salad, and turkey breast in the fridge (I live with other people), it doesn't bother me. If somebody is starting to pig out, I just wait until they leave the kitchen so i don't get frustrated. My brother ate a piece of pizza while I was in the car, but I started sipping my Water and was good. But that pizza sure did smell good. Oh yeah, I find sometimes that I have to turn the channel when the stuffed crust pizza hut commercials come on tv. I love pizza but I always remind myself that in due time, i will be able to have pizza again, just in small portions.

Good morning all, I was wondering if you could tell me what the liver shrinking diet consist of for Dr. Bautista and how long are you supposed to be on it? I am scheduled for surgery on May 14th. That was his first available appointment. I think the liver shrinking diet diet scares me a little.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Susie

Hi Susie,

Dr. Bautista's pre-op liver shrinking diet was: 1) drink at least 64 oz of Fluid per day. You have to drink sugar-free, calorie-free beverages that are non-carbonated. You can drink, for example, Crystal Light, sugar free Tang and Kool-Aid, non-calorie Diet Snapple. 2) For breakfast you drink a shake such as a No Sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast. (They give you a list of shakes you can choose from) 3) For lunch you drink another shake and eat a piece of fresh fruit. 4) Eat a snack in between lunch and dinner which can be light yogurt, light yogurt smoothie, or non-fat cottage cheese. I don't like any of that so for a snack I sometimes ate sugar free pudding. 5) For dinner you have 4 oz of lean meat. They recommended the 97% fat free Hillshire Farm deli select or Healthy Choice. In the weight loss handbook you get at your nutrition classes, it says you can turn the deli meat into a sandwich, but you have to use the bread in the book (Nature's Own Healthline Double Fiber). Also for dinner, you can have unlimited non-starchy veggies. They said to avoid corn, peas, and potatoes. I cooked my meat in lemon juice and seasoned it so I could have a different taste and then put mustard on the toasted bread - I liked it.

Sometimes I would munch on the baby carrots throughout the day. They told me that was okay. Even though I cheated a little on the pre-op diet, the pre-op diet really helped prepare me for the surgery. It's funny because on the night before my surgery, I couldn't eat anything past 12:00 a.m. Luckily my surgery was at 7:30 a.m. and I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m., but I remember being so hungry and my stomach growling. However, after the surgery, i was not hungry. I was just so amazed!

Slim_One_Day, Thank you for letting me know the skinny on that. Was it hard to stick to? Did you lose weight on it? I'm so afraid if I don't stick to it he may not be able to do the surgery, I think that fear may keep me straight. How long is the diet for? Sorry for all the stupid questions? But I really do appreciate your answers.

Susie

The diet is for 14 days Newme. You really find out what your made of in those 15 days. Ive done really well, minus my 2 cheating episodes. I soon found a few days in that I didnt want to eat. My desire to eat was just gone. I guess it was the thought of having to eat the same thing I had eaten the day before, and the day before that. You will do great! We are all here if you need us. Strength in numbers my dear!

Dr. Schroder has his patients do the same pre op diet. I found it easy to do because I wanted to have my surgery so bad that it didn't phase me one bit. Just continue to think about why you are doing the diet and you should be fine. Go to a Dollar Tree and pick up so sugar free shake and go drinks as they are life savers. I keep some in my car, house and office so that if I want something sweet or flavorful I drink one, but they don't have any sugar they just taste like they do.