Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

Hey Babe, I'm not shooting the messenger! I am sure that Americans everywhere have thought about it. I just hate the fact that we are living in a world where people use violence to gain power. It has become an epidemic. A person should be able to run for public office without having to worry about some nut job shooting him. Just like kids should be able to go to school without having to worry about an idiot toting a gun on campus and firing away.

Just being in the position of President of the United States has it's risks and that's why there is so much security around our President and their families. There have been many attempts on many presidents in the past. He has the Secret Service protecting him now from what I gather and they've only gotten better since my husband's grandfather was one of FDR's personal body guards.

Hey, I may have a solution to the media bias problem. If you don't like Fox news, don't watch it. If you don't like MSNBC, don't watch. Watch only the stations that you choose to watch, and then you'll never have to fact-check any of the stories...:thumbs_up:

I agree with what Brandy said above , I also think that the secret service is highly trained now a days in ways that we couldn't even imagine with so much new technology and based on past experiences and what they've learned, times have changed for the better in that way IMHO. I feel positive about the protection issue.

and actually it has happened to a republican president before, the most recent was Ronald Reagan,(I think..) yes, it was supposedly a mentally ill person but still, it could happen to any president/candidate, again, I really feel more positive about this now a days.

About foul language, hey, I don't think I've actually cursed before, but I'm sure that I have snapped or been out of line at some point before on other threads because we get caught up in these discussions that we feel so passionate about and we are only human, I understand it can happen, but it does offend some people and that prevents from keeping the debate healthy and even alive... because sometimes it causes several people to leave the thread and so it's not as interesting and spicy:blush: anymore, so I think it's better to keep it respectful in my opinion. Thank you for the apology Watcher, it's cool!

Hi, I believe that we are ready, more ready than we will ever be. No person should have ever been judged by the color of his skin, but by the content and character of his heart. America is learning this, I think we have grown.

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, and I haven't finished reading the whole board yet so I don't know everything that has already been said... but... :smile:

I don't think America is NOT ready for a black president. I think Obama is not experienced enough to be president... if he's not elected it won't be because he's black, it's because he lacks fundamental experience.

Frankly, given his resume and the lack of experience therein I think the only reason he's gotten so far is BECAUSE he's black. No white guy with his exact level of experience would have been the nominee.

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, and I haven't finished reading the whole board yet so I don't know everything that has already been said... but... :smile:

I don't think America is NOT ready for a black president. I think Obama is not experienced enough to be president... if he's not elected it won't be because he's black, it's because he lacks fundamental experience.

Frankly, given his resume and the lack of experience therein I think the only reason he's gotten so far is BECAUSE he's black. No white guy with his exact level of experience would have been the nominee.

What about Ronald Reagan? He had his path eased because he was an actor.

I don't think it's because he's black I think it's the what he stands for and how he delivers his message and it's very attractive and almost a relief to most people. I see him as someone people want as a president because they see qualities in him that are admirable as a lot of people have been ashamed of their president/country. Or at least told they should be ashamed.

As a "middle of the roader" and someone who is for the first time "OLDER" than a possible president, I see his appeal to most younger people and people who aren't conservative in their view. I like him myself and would like to see a change in this country especially for the better.

I have a hard time with understanding black and white. Black father, white mother, but he's black. I am 1/4 Hispanic but you would never know it by looking at me and never even met my Hispanic grandfather. Am I Hispanic, I don't speak the language, love the culture, love the food, but that's a different story don't know if that's nurture/nature. I guess in this country every little detail is so important especially when running for office, race, religion etc... Just a thing I have a hard time grasping, ok one of millions!

I still won't make up my find until I see McCain and Obama debate each other and hopefully by election time I can make up my mind without hesitation. brandyII:smile:

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, and I haven't finished reading the whole board yet so I don't know everything that has already been said... but... :crying:

Definitely not a popular opinion and kudos to you for posting it!

I agree that we ARE ready for a black president, I agree with you about Obama's lack of experience among other ultra liberal views that I'm not sure if the majority of the country if ready for, I think this country will be eventually though and unfortunately for me since I'm conservative....but I think that "partially" he has gotten far because he is black, because having a black man as the presidential candidate is such a step forward for our country that people are just so fired up about it, at least in my opinion, I'm one that thinks that we as a country have grown a lot when it comes to racism, I know we have more to grow, but I do see a huge positive change in that sense, and I think that in some cases people want to vote for him, even if it's just to prove to ourselves that we are ready for it, that we have changed, that we can do it.... however, the main reason why I think that he has gotten that far without the experience is because of the disgruntle with the existing president/war, since there are so many that feel that way towards president Bush and the war, (doesn't mean I'm including myself there...sorry:huh2:) they see Obama as the complete opposite ,therefore he "MUST" be the answer, Hillary did pretty well in the primaries, but the fact that she is a "Clinton" didn't make her look like the "new" "in" "drastic change" candidate, Obama came across that way... I will add that I do give him credit for being a smart educated guy and for getting to this point and for his achievements but I don't necessarily agree that drastic changes over all and/or across the board will necessarily be the right answer for our country, I think that being as progressive as he is and having so many changes in mind with such limited experience could end up in disaster, specially when it comes to foreing policies, just my opinion and respecting all the Obama supporters out there.:smile:

I agree Elenation.

About the Ronald thing, to en extent yeah, but I have seen the dramatic pressure black folks put on eachother to vote for Obama. It's assumed that because you're black you support Obama. When you say you're not, there's an immediate, I don't know what you'd call it, backlash, semi outcast moment- that's you're not really black if you don't vote Obama.

I also think it's amusing about how he's black but not all black. Why can't he be white? He's got that in him too? The whole "one drop" rule I guess is king.

YOu have a point Green about Ronny, though he did serve two terms as the governor of a liberal California, which I think it must've been a pretty tough job , also, after being an actor he was defeated in his run for the republican presidential nomination back in 68 and 76, the actor thing didn't help much at the time, so I don't know if it was really of much help in his election in 1980. What can I tell you Green, I biased...:smile:

I still won't make up my find until I see McCain and Obama debate each other and hopefully by election time I can make up my mind without hesitation. brandyII:smile:

You are a smart girl!!!!!!!!!:smile:

It is interesting to hear someone say that black people are putting pressure on each other to vote for Obama. I personally haven't seen that. In fact, I have noticed just the opposite. Guess we've been hanging out at different TV spots.

Don't bring up my f bombs and bullshit. I felt passionate about what I was saying. HMMPH. :frown: