Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Students? Here's a tip...

If you are going to copy someone else's assignment because you did your own assignment incorrectly, at least do it so that the instructor/professor doesn't KNOW that you copied the other person's assignment. And if you're going to let someone cheat off of you, make sure that the person is smart enough not to get caught. Now you've BOTH failed the assignment, geniuses. :huh2:

It's getting worse and worse because of how the school systems are. Especially in college.

More and more, it seems teachers and students work together to find loopholes instead of finding a ways for the student to improve and obey the rules. Students more then ever think cheating is fine. Alas, that's what our society is coming to.

Not blaming the teacher in this specific case, but I'm sure the student's previous teacher didn't help them.

It's getting worse and worse because of how the school systems are. Especially in college.

More and more, it seems teachers and students work together to find loopholes instead of finding a ways for the student to improve and obey the rules. Students more then ever think cheating is fine. Alas, that's what our society is coming to.

Not blaming the teacher in this specific case, but I'm sure the student's previous teacher didn't help them.

I don't see where teachers are to "blame" if a student cheats or how they find loopholes. :eek: Can you elaborate on this one? Thanks. :bolt:

I honestly think a lot of it is because of parents. Sure, there are some crappy teachers out there, but there are a LOT of parents that don't seem to be instilling any sort of value system in their children, especially when it comes to academic honesty. How many parents out there "help" their children with class projects (for example, science fair projects) and wind up doing 90% of the work? All that teaches to a child, IMO, is that they can take other people's work, treat it as their own, and then get rewarded for it when it is compared to work that was done by other students that didn't have their parents' "help."

I don't remember if it was here or on another site that I go to, but a parent posted a picture of a diorama that their child had turned in. The vast majority of it was completed by the parent and it was OBVIOUS. The parent excused it by saying that the child wasn't old enough to use a hot glue gun. In that case, change the design so that a hot glue gun isn't necessary. If a parent has to put together 90% of a diorama, it is no longer the child's diorama. And it sure as heck shouldn't be turned in as the child's work, when it's going to be compared to dioramas that weren't completed by other parents.

Grr. As you can probably tell, this is a hot-button issue with me. :bolt:

I honestly think a lot of it is because of parents. Sure, there are some crappy teachers out there, but there are a LOT of parents that don't seem to be instilling any sort of value system in their children, especially when it comes to academic honesty. How many parents out there "help" their children with class projects (for example, science fair projects) and wind up doing 90% of the work? All that teaches to a child, IMO, is that they can take other people's work, treat it as their own, and then get rewarded for it when it is compared to work that was done by other students that didn't have their parents' "help."

I don't remember if it was here or on another site that I go to, but a parent posted a picture of a diorama that their child had turned in. The vast majority of it was completed by the parent and it was OBVIOUS. The parent excused it by saying that the child wasn't old enough to use a hot glue gun. In that case, change the design so that a hot glue gun isn't necessary. If a parent has to put together 90% of a diorama, it is no longer the child's diorama. And it sure as heck shouldn't be turned in as the child's work, when it's going to be compared to dioramas that weren't completed by other parents.

Grr. As you can probably tell, this is a hot-button issue with me. :bolt:

I agree parents ahve alot to do with it. But I just went back to college and cannot beleive the things I hear students and teachers talking about when it comes to " getting around the system".

Speaking of parents, you ever watch "Wife swap" TV show? If you do you will remember this episode. If you can't watch all 5 minutes skip the 2:00 mark and watch from there about her school work. Too funny!

Oh and don;t get me started on beauty teen mom's!

Here's the link!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GpFFbfTLg]YouTube - Wife Swap - Alicia Guastaferro, Beauty Queen From Hell[/ame]

:eek::thumbup::eek::thumbup::eek:

I don't see where teachers are to "blame" if a student cheats or how they find loopholes. :eek: Can you elaborate on this one? Thanks. :bolt:

I'm am mostly talking about college students. The teachers are more concerned about giving out "A"s rather then giving students the chance to learn.

It's not all teachers, but I can tell you about 70% of the people that will be graduating with me with a degree in computer networking, wouldn;t know the first thing to do if they got that job. It's becuase most classes I took the teacher would give out a test and if you failed they would give out an easier test. I talked with a director my parents knew and he laughed and said the same thing I just said, "teachers too busy giving out A's rather then teaching students to earn an A." He went on to say that the teachers are critiqued by average grades and student feedback forms. Sad.

However the same goes with parents. Maybe its me, but it seems more parents blame schools rather then their children no matter what the problem is. Thats just wrong. My parents were vary involved with the schools when me and my bro & sisters were there. We didn't get away with nothing and I would probably get smacked if I tried blaming it on a teacher.

OMG, I saw that video about that teen before. I honestly think that girl's parents need to be slapped, hard, and repeatedly. I mean, not really, but I do think there should be some consequences. Like was said, the girl is turning in the work as her own, and it's not.

I'm am mostly talking about college students. The teachers are more concerned about giving out "A"s rather then giving students the chance to learn.

It's not all teachers, but I can tell you about 70% of the people that will be graduating with me with a degree in computer networking, wouldn;t know the first thing to do if they got that job. It's becuase most classes I took the teacher would give out a test and if you failed they would give out an easier test. I talked with a director my parents knew and he laughed and said the same thing I just said, "teachers too busy giving out A's rather then teaching students to earn an A." He went on to say that the teachers are critiqued by average grades and student feedback forms. Sad.

However the same goes with parents. Maybe its me, but it seems more parents blame schools rather then their children no matter what the problem is. Thats just wrong. My parents were vary involved with the schools when me and my bro & sisters were there. We didn't get away with nothing and I would probably get smacked if I tried blaming it on a teacher.

Now I see what you mean. But I can tell you that I'm a teacher in middle school and it seems as though it's not the teachers who want to lower their standards. It comes from higher up. :thumbup: It's all about the policitics baby. :rolleyes:

Jeez, and I can't even get an A in my writing class.

It goes beyond college even. Last night, my DH took several of his employees to a class being offered to get them certified for working on A/C units in semi's. This class covered proper use of the cooling chemicals, how to dispose of things....all to remain within the law, and to provide a safer environment. They knew going in, there was going to be a test for getting their certification---which is a lifetime certification. They would be able to list that they are competent in this on a resume.

So he said the guy stood up, told them the test was going to be much harder next year, and the number of qualified people was going to be falling drastically, so his job was to certify as many of them as possible. So he had them pick up their test books, and he read the header out loud to them. It stated that they should have NO OUTSIDE HELP. He told them, he had just one question for them---was he outside? Everyone kind of laughed he said, and he proceeded to go through, and discuss nothing but the test questions, and give them the answers. Now he has 11 certified A/C techs he said, and not a damn one learned a single thing.

This might not matter---until the A/C in your car goes out, and you take it to a certified repair person.....good luck!!!

Cheating and cutting corners is rampant.....they learn it from the top-----it trickles down!

Kat

NO OUTSIDE HELP. He told them, he had just one question for them---was he outside? Everyone kind of laughed he said, and he proceeded to go through, and discuss nothing but the test questions, and give them the answers. Now he has 11 certified A/C techs he said, and not a damn one learned a single thing.

Good grief! I'm just not even sure what to say to that. Why bother teaching if you don't want to be a teacher? Sheesh.

In undergraduate I took a Shakespeare class. About 3 of my good friends took it with me. Our final exam (how pointless is this) was to be able to re-write, verbatim and with accurate punctuation, several sonnets, soliloquies, etc. Naturally I sat by one of my friends during the test. When we got our finals back, both my friend and I had flunked it. Our actual grades were A (me) and B (him), but there were post-its attached saying, "Since you took the liberty of trying to cheat, I'm taking the liberty to fail you."

However, the things I had missed he had gotten right. The things he had missed were things I had gotten right. And he had missed almost twice as many things as I had. We just happened to be sitting together, and the prof apparently assumed we had cheated.

I contested it and in the end the professor was over-ruled and we got to keep our good grades.

Nothing to do with Laurend's story, it is indeed very transparent when people cheat (when I taught college English, they must have thought I was dumb. If someone wrote something "better" than I thought they could, I'd Google the phrase, and 100% of the time there it was -- copied by the student verbatim into their paper). But it reminded me of this and I felt like sharing.

BTW, this professor looked JUST like Colonel Sanders, down to the glasses. During class we would watch plays or movies and he would eat during them. He had some kind of breathing disorder or something, and would constantly make "slurp" "mmmph" "ergghh" etc. noises when he did anything, so him eating in class was one of the most disturbing things that could have happened.