Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncrushable Pills...What do you do ?

My medical doctor has been trying to get answers as well, but really hasn't gotten a firm answer. They don't seem to realize that some pills are not crushable nor do they come in liquid form. "AND" if they do, they taste so bad that I can't get them down anyway. I now have a very bad sore throat and Im not sure what to do. Some people have said they had a great surgeon - I can only wish I would have had the same.

I'm very happy with my surgeon's office but all they say is to talk to your pharmacist and doctor. From my own experience and just reading this post, I think it varies on what the medication and how your restriction is. I liked one post that mentioned drinking something hot first. I do that in the morning anyway, and it helps a lot.

I did talk to my pharmacist, and while he didn't know much about banding, he was able to tell me what I can crush and what not to, and what alternatives there are. I switched to other alternatives as much as possible and haven't tried any large pills since banding.

I am shocked that you are permitted to take any kind of time-release pill (sustained release, etc.)!!!

In no uncertain terms, I have been told NEVER to take any pills of this nature after my banding. It affects the absorption of the medication.

You should talk to your pharmacist and doctor about this. It could be dangerous if you are getting more or less of the medication than you think you are getting.

If I wouldn't have severe chronic back pain from surgery 12 years ago, I wouldn't be having trouble with the timed-released pill. I did talk with the pharmacy, the surgeon, and my medical doctor. I'm litterally tired, depressed and sick of too many people telling me too many different things. My medical doctor is the greatest and has tried to get answers. No good so far. So, I do what works for me. I can only hope all goes well since I feel like I am on my own. I do know, without my medical doctor and the way she supports me and truly cares, I would probably go crazy.

I must go to a certain pharmacy due to my husband's insurance. We can't just go anywhere we want. I have been in contact with the pharmacy, surgeon, and medical doctor. I take an antidepressant and can no longer take that due to the size. I had spoke to the oppropriate people before surgery and still no one could give me an answer. My doctor said that the surgeon's office told her they took care of it and no one suggested how I was to take the antidepressant. Therefore, the reason I am trying to take care of it myself. My doctor is trying to help as much as she can.

I am also on metformin ER for PCOS and I have not had my band yet but I just talked to my obgyn and she said that I do not need to keep taking the metformin after for my PCOS. Are you taking it for that or for your diabetes? And my last fill of my perscription I was givin 2 diff brands of the metformin ER and one is a bit smaller so maybe that would hellp/work for you if its just a bit smaller. Hope I can help.

Before I left the hospital, my surgeon went over my list of meds and OTCs and told me which were ok. pills that drop thru a straw are safe to take, larger ones cut in half with exception of timed release ones. I use a krill oil capsule, its better absorbed than fish oil, no fishy taste and about half the size. He also told me I should not need Prilosec regularly anymore, that my band should greatly reduce my reflux. He must be right cuz I haven't taken it in a week, and no reflux.

I've been banded for 1 1/2 years now and I've never had to crush any pill. I always swallow pills. I have never had any issues.

Was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for dealing with "Timed Release" or other capsules/pills that can't be crushed. How do you deal with it ?

I would also like to know if you cannot cut them with a pill cutter, what to do? I just gave away Calcium supplements that had horse sized pills and would have had to cut into 3 pieces to get them down. I use chewable Vitamins and Calcium pills.< /p>