Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Italy waiting Banding

Reading all of the posts has helped me a lot. My insurance has just approved banding and I am waiting for a date. It is scarry and exciting all at the same time. I find comfort it all the stories posted on this message board. I will be having this done in an Italian hospital where most medical people do not speak english (I speak a little Italian but not much) My husband is in the Military and that is why my family lives over here. My next appt is on April 3rd and I should get my date then. Thank you in advance for all the support I know I will get from here and have already. Congradulations to all of us for taking a step to be healthy. Those of you close to goal, two thumbs way up! Ciao!

Wow, Camp Darby, Aviano??? Lucky you!! You can ask all the questions you want and get a myriad of responses. Good for you for making the jump to a healthier lifestyle. I was banded 3/5/08 and loving every minute of it, pm if you want and I will be happy to help. g2s

I am in Vicenza at the Army base. I do so love Italy it is just a little scarry doing medical stuff here. The Dr. is from Padova a teaching school and has been doing banding for 10 years. He does speak english so that is wonderful. Glad to have your support. new to the whole message board thing sorry but what does pm mean? I forgot to put to stats 258 BMI 38.

oh vicenza, i have spent 2 months there, actually stayed at Longare barracks. i love that place. there is a restaurant that we would go to just a little walk from the barracks, and there was another downtown, i think it was Annies, Amies, something like that but the food was DEVINE!! pm is private message, so people can post one on one. kinda like instant messaging, but delayed. if that makes sense.

10 years of experience sounds pretty good to me, i always wondered why those italian women were so small and had big boobs!! hahah now I know the secret. good for you for taking the step to be healthy. what will your whole process be for the pre op and post op requirements? g2s

There are so many great places to eat here. I live on the other side of town from Longare. I live close to downtown. I am amazed at how skinny all the Italians are, but I have never see a population smoke the way they do. All the time and everywhere. Even the kids waiting for the school bus. And lets not forget the daily intake of coffee!

I will see the Dr. on Thursday. I really do not know the pre op plan but the post op is liquids for two weeks then mush for another two weeks then "We will see".

Because I am going thru the military health care it is a little disjointed and no one really has a view of the full picture. I have done a lot of research on line and have been to the nutritionest and mental health. The process has been a bit confusing and I have drug my feet a little trying to get better prepaired. It was kind of like "O, ya we do offer that now... sure go ahead." I have been kind of like "wait, I need to know more" so here I am gathering information and with every word I read I am more ready to "DO IT" I will know more on Thursday.

What was your pre op plan? Post? Just to give me an idea.

Looked at the pm option, could not figure out how to send one I tell you computers and me, not a good mix. That is why I teach pre-school! SMILE

Welcome MeaQa, PM means private message

Cheers to You! Don't feel bad about not knowing the lingo...we all started that way! Maybe you'll be a May Bandster llike me!

oh yah they are smokers that is for sure. Yes Italy has the food market cornered in my opinion. So Preop food plan was 3 weeks out 1 meal of replacement shake and 2 meals of meat and green vegetable. then on 2 weeks out it was 2 Meal Replacements and 1 meal of meat and green vegetables. 1 week out 3 Meal Replacement shakes a day. i am 5'6" and weighed 212, my surgeon wanted my weight down by 8 pounds and my liver healthy. that is his practice for everyone and i did lose the weight. he had no issues with my liver and was able to work around it very easy. my post op was similiar to yours, liquids 1 week, mushies 1 week, reasonable solids (ground beef, fish, etc) 3 weeks. mushies were hard for me because I like hot cereals and those pack the pounds on me, so i went for cottage cheese, thick veggie Soups, yogurts, ricotta cheese with some seasoned stewed tomatoes and garlic, you get the pic.

if you look on the right side of this web page right below the search window, it says, "Members Area." click the "messages" link and it will take you to the PM and you just type in the users name and it will send your message to that user only. i am with you, i don't wrangle these websites too often but you will get the hang of it.

I have learned that my doctor's words of advice have been right on the money everytime, i have followed his directions to a tee and i feel really good and have not had any "issues." if you would like to visit their website it is Western Bariatric Institute :: Home

This website is a wealth of info but if you would like to see my surgeons info packet, I would be happy to mail it to you. just let me know. g2s

Went to the Dr. on Thur really did not progress to far, he just gave me some more stuff to read then another appt for this Thur. GGRRRR it is just going so slow. From what I read this happens to almost everyone. I have been so busy it is hard to find the time to come on line. I always feel better after being on this web site. I would love to read anything you have. Thanks for the support

sure, let me see if i can get it scanned and i will send it to you. also the website link in my last post has a "list of questions" link to ask your surgeon. that may be helpful as well. g2s