Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

255 lbs to lose. Can it be done?

This thread has really been nice to see. I was banded on 15 April 2008, and I have about 280 to lose overall. I lost 20 pounds pre-op, and I've lost about 2 since the surgery (6 days ago). Reading posts in other areas, it seems like everyone had like 60 or 80 pounds to lose, even less. It was very discouraging. I'm glad to know that other people out there are in my position, and that some have succeeded.

I thought I'd read under this section, I have 180 to lose. It is good to see that I am not alone. I would be going for gastric bypass, but with me being bipolar my docs are worried that the malobsorption that goes along with it would screw me up.

Here is a question to anyone can answer... Having to lose over 200lbs, being the the weight loss with the band is slower that the actual gastric bypass, will the skin still be excessive? I'm 26 and that's one of my concerns with the band. Please give me fedback on this.. Thank you-

Well you are really young, and I don't know how long you have carried the extra 200 pounds, so there are some variables that could have some impact, but I have lost over 200 pounds from my "thought to be" heaviest, and my excess skin is not a pretty sight.

If you want to compare, I have been overweight all my life, but really got extra large in adulthood. I was at least 409 in the mid to late '90's and was around the 350 mark for most of the 2000's. Of course I carried my weight everywhere, but especially in my trunk and arms. My arms are really bad now (I wave at someone and it takes the bat wings quite some time to stop waving after I am done). I exercise a lot and do lots of arm exercises, so my arms are as toned as they could be, but there is only so much your skin can bounce back from. My stomach is also really bad. No matter how much weight I continue to lose I will still have a lot of excess skin and fat in those areas. I am definitely looking at plastic surgery.

When I look at my body, the best way I can think of to describe it naked is that I look like I have deflated. I would much rather be deflated than puffy, round and unhealthy.

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think you can look at losing that much weight without having lots of excess skin. It takes alot of skin to hold that weight, and it just can't bounce all the way back. Be ok with who you are, lose the weight and start saving for plastic surgery!! :party:

Good luck!

No the surgery did not hurt. After the surgery you are in a little discomfort (mostly gas pains) Yes, i had to go through about 10 - 12 tests - There is a lot of testing - But it is absolutely worth it. I had my surgery March 30th and I lost 55 lbs so far. I have a long way to go but I feel great.

I have around 230 lbs to lose. Started at 419 hope to get to 170

I thought I'd read under this section, I have 180 to lose. It is good to see that I am not alone. I would be going for gastric bypass, but with me being bipolar my docs are worried that the malobsorption that goes along with it would screw me up.

You and I are starting with the same goal. I suffer from depression issues (weight related - we think) and my doc said a big NO to gastric bypass.

I have an appointment with my surgeon on June 25th, then my paperwork gets submitted for approval...I can't wait!

New to this too - I was told I should be 170 - I'm 410. I think that's way too low for me - I'm a big guy 6'4". The Dr. I went to see about lap band told me that he didn't see much success with people who needed to lose 100 lbs or better so I should have gastric bypass. Anyone else find that kind of advice even though you chose lapband?

What does the malabsorption have to do with your emotional situation? I have Tourettes and OCD, ADD etc. Any info would help. Thanks

I too had over 200lbs to lose. My doctors tried to encourage me to have the gastric bypass only because the weight loss is quicker. But, I feel I have done extrememly well. Lost 86lbs in 5 mos. I really don't see how much faster I could loose it. I really think it is a personal decision. Look at all of the options and then choose what seems right for you. I am very pleased that I chose the Lap band and did not let my doctors influence my decision. Good luck.

New to this too - I was told I should be 170 - I'm 410. I think that's way too low for me - I'm a big guy 6'4". The Dr. I went to see about lap band told me that he didn't see much success with people who needed to lose 100 lbs or better so I should have gastric bypass. Anyone else find that kind of advice even though you chose lapband?

Hi aronson333,

I am choosing more than one way to measure my health. I don't believe in the one number as the final measurement of my success. My goals are to have healthy blood work, that is have triglycerides, LDL, HDL, total cholestrol, etc. in the healthy range...that goal is accomplished and is in maintenance. Another goal is to be at 20-23% body fat. I began at 52% body fat and am currently at 34%. My goal for scale weight is 180, I am 5'7" tall and according to the height/weight chart I should be 151 max. If all my bloodwork is good. I am exercising regularly and have no known health issues, I consider that good for me. During my journey, I have lost my comorbities...sleep apnea and lower back pain. What I am saying is that measuring success with weight loss is more than one number on the scale. Many doctors recommend GB over the band. That is a really personal decision. It boiled down to a couple of things for me. More people die, due to GB or GB complications. The band is removable. The band surgery has faster recovery. The speed at which I lost the weight was not a big consideration for me, but GB will get the weight off faster. As for folks not losing over 100 lbs with LB, well I have broken that mold and in the end believe I will maintain ridding myself of over 200 lbs. I know it can be done...others have done it.

What does the malabsorption have to do with your emotional situation? I have Tourettes and OCD, ADD etc. Any info would help. Thanks

Was the doctor that you spoke to aware of your meds? I ask because with GB the second part of why it works is malabsorbation. Malabsorbation is when a percentage of what you take in is never used up. Since GB reroutes the inner digestion and bypasses the stomach and some other parts, your food and meds are not fully absorbed into your body and are not used. This means that calories are not absorbed either, so you lose weight. What would concern me for you is any meds you are on for your conditions may not be fully absorbed and there effectiveness is much less. Talk with a knowledgable doctor about it.

Happy banding,

Mary

Thannk you for your reply - very interesting and informational. I now understand the malabsorption thing and completely believe the LB is right for me. I see my Dr. today to discuss - so it was perfect timing. Thanks, again. AJ