Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

255 lbs to lose. Can it be done?

This is such a great thread. I've got just under 200 pounds to lose (pre band) and I was worried about doing it. One thing I do know is that NOW is the time to make life changes, not in 3 weeks and 2 days when I get my band.

I will be sooooo ready to get the band after working for 8 weeks to get it. By working I mean getting used to living on 1000-1500 calories a day, enjoying and tasting my food by eating slowly and chewing throughly, saying "no" when my mind wants wants me to snack, getting to love sugar free Jell-o (heh!), being able to drive by fast food joints without stopping, AND (this is a big AND) exercising on a regular basis. I'm making the gym a part of my life.

I am so grateful that I have a Lifetime gym near me. This place is amazing. For those that have one near you, they are totally family oriented. People of all sizes and ages go there. They have machines and equipment for the very obese. They have Water aerobic classes every day and they are full too. I'm taking adult swimming lessons so I can swim laps. They have recumbent bikes that are so much more comfortable than the other ones. They even have one of those peddling machines that you peddle with your arms for people who cannot ride the bikes or do the stair machine or elliptical.

I sound like a commercial for them, but I'm just so happy I found a place like this where I feel welcome.

A friend of mine who has maybe 50 pounds to lose keeps writing me saying she is starting Weight Watchers "next week." She's been joining and going to one meeting, then pigging out over and over again for the last 6 months. She's signing up "next week" again, and I got a message from her today saying she's going to one of her favorite restaurants tonight and "get stuffed as a pig" since she'll be joining WW. Then tomorrow night she's going to another place to "get stuffed" since she's going to WW next week.

That attitude just sounds so disgusting to me. WW won't change her life if she treats it like the thing that's going to save her. It hasn't worked so far.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Jena

A friend of mine who has maybe 50 pounds to lose keeps writing me saying she is starting Weight Watchers "next week." She's been joining and going to one meeting, then pigging out over and over again for the last 6 months. She's signing up "next week" again, and I got a message from her today saying she's going to one of her favorite restaurants tonight and "get stuffed as a pig" since she'll be joining WW. Then tomorrow night she's going to another place to "get stuffed" since she's going to WW next week.

This sounds like the last 10 yrs of my life...tell your friend to be careful an attitude like that can switch that 50lbs to 150lbs quick.

Hi guys, I am super new to this. I am currently 350lbs and will be going for surgery in vancouver, BC May 30th. I am a nurse which is why this is kind of comical. I am really scared about being put under. I figure since I am so heavy there will be many problems, and I dont want to think this but I am scared and imagine this is normal before surgery. Any words of wisdom? what can help bring me back to reality and calm me down? Thanks for any advice!:confused:

I'm scared too Shannongetsslim. I've never had surgery and I hate needles...so I'll bet this will be a hoot, lol.

It's okay, we'll make it!! Just like all the brave souls before us. :confused:

Hey MicheleK,

I know in my heart I really know this, I work in this field I know what it entails, but still it is kind of freaky. But I know you are right, we will be ok, we just need to be brave! Do you have a date yet?

Hi shannongetsslim & MicheleK,

When I had surgery, I was at 380 lbs. I have had surgeries before, so knew what to expect. It is so natural to have fear about going under. When you are a week out you will wonder what you were worried about. Again, it is so natural to fear this part.

It will be okay. I am always groggie when I start coming out of the meds, but the going under part is really cool, I like it. Once I asked the anesthologist (sp) if this stuff came in a six pack, lol.

Try not to worry about this stuff. Take the pre op time to start your new habits and especially get as much headwork behind you as possible. That will serve you well.

Best wishes to you both.

Mary

Thanks to all the posters. This particular question has been heavy (no pun intended) on my mind lately. My goal is to rid myself of about 200 lbs. I am just over half way there and this question came up. Reading this thread has been inspiring. It has confirmed that I can do this.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Mary

Mary,

Thanks so much, it is great to hear I am not the only one who was/is scared. I have a lot of weight to loose, and when thoughts of being put to sleep start to scare me I focus on how amazing I am going to feel 6 months from now! Thanks again!

Shannon

Shannon

I know this is probably extra freaky for you since you know more than most of us what surgery entails, but you can do this. I think you will find it easier than you thought, and if not, the surgery is quick and the recovery is way easier than any other surgery I have ever had (and I have had a number). Just remember, knowledge can be power, but it can also scare the crap out of you!

The amount you want to lose seems like a great deal, but take it in small steps and remember every pound you lose is a pound less to lose and a step closer to where you want to be.

If you want, go look at some pictures I posted on the general surgery forum under "before and after pictures" near the top of the threads (I think it should be renamed to "before and during"). My pictures are on about page 10 or 11 by now (I posted them on April 10, 2008, so you can look by date). I never thought I would ever post pictures, but I thought, why the heck not? (plus it was a snow day and I couldn't get out of my drive way to go to work, so I played on the computer most of the day) :tongue:

I am not saying look at the pictures because they are anything great, but they are a representation of me at about 350 (and probably more) and me at about 220, about a month ago. They just show that massive weight loss is possible.

This morning I weighed myself and I was down to 208 and I know that I am nowhere near done my journey. I have no idea of where I can actually go - my goal of 180 was just a number that I picked that was below 200, but I am now believing that anything is possible.

As hokey as this may sound, by believing in yourself, you CAN make your dreams come true :). I think many of us kind of gave up on ourselves, and forgot to dream and believe in what we can do and instead invested ourselves in other people, our careers, or in food. I know I did. Do this for you and you alone.

Hey MicheleK,

I know in my heart I really know this, I work in this field I know what it entails, but still it is kind of freaky. But I know you are right, we will be ok, we just need to be brave! Do you have a date yet?

Not yet, on the last month of my 90 day pre-approval diet. I'm almost there...I can't wait to begin my journey!! :thumbup:

I just want to wish everyone the best of luck. I also started this journey needing to lose 200 pounds if not more. Ive set my temporary goal at not quite a 200 lb loss but am in the mind frame of aiming for that! I DO INDEED THINK ITS POSSIBLE!!

I think I'm the only one who's NOT afraid of being put to sleep ;)

Ogre, thank you so much for the inspiration.

As hokey as this may sound, by believing in yourself, you CAN make your dreams come true . I think many of us kind of gave up on ourselves, and forgot to dream and believe in what we can do and instead invested ourselves in other people, our careers, or in food. I know I did. Do this for you and you alone.

As hokey as this may sound, by believing in yourself, you CAN make your dreams come true . I think many of us kind of gave up on ourselves, and forgot to dream and believe in what we can do and instead invested ourselves in other people, our careers, or in food. I know I did. Do this for you and you alone.

jjsmiles--

sorry I tried to post a response above to your message from the other day on your words above this. THAT WAS A WONDERFUL STATEMENT!!! THANK YOU!!!