Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

255 lbs to lose. Can it be done?

I have 255 lbs to lose to be on the high end of an average range for my height and age. I'm 25 and want to weigh 150 lbs. Currently I weigh 405 lbs. :)

I haven't been banded yet. I'm just starting the process. Am I out of my mind to think I can lose 255 lbs? Sometimes I feel like I might as well have 12,000 lbs to lose... Have you guys ever heard of anyone losing that much weight with the band?

Yes, some of our older users were in excess of 300 lbs. I don't think they're around much anymore.

I was banded at 382 and currently at 224, still losing, just very slowly.

it can totally be done.... i know a few people from another site that have lost at least 270....its just a matter of how bad you want it and how well you stick to the rules. Im in the same boat as you so you arent alone. I started at 455 on dec 1st of last year and today was my 4th fill and im down to 388 in 3 months. My goal is 230 and im bound determind to get there lol. So the band really does work if you work it..... good luck :teeth_smile:

Hi Hopeful Mom! I don't know what the odds are of losing that much but I personally am going to do it. I began the whole process on Jan 5th this year and was banded on Jan 25th. At my first visit I was 358 lbs. and at surgery date was at 328. So right there with the pre surgery diet I lost 30 lbs. One month out of surgery I was at 312 and when I went for a fill this past Wednesday I was at 298 lbs !!! So thats 30 more pounds. So pound by pound I am doing this. The band is working well but understand it is not what makes me lose weight. I am what makes me lose weight.:teeth_smile: The band only helps (insists) me stay with the diet. This has always been my fialure...staying with it for more than a few weeks. My plan is that by my birthday in August I will have lost the 1st hundred pounds. At 2 pouns a week thats totally do-able

I will love to hear about your Journey. I hope mine is encouraging to you.

Judith on the long road to better.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I know it's a lot to lose, but I am going to do it! :biggrin2:

Yes you are!! :thumbup:

Boy am I happy to find this. I get my band 4/10 and whatever i lose will make me heathier them I am now. Biggest fear was not beingable to lose all of the now 210#'s. Refused by my insure because I was to "fat" for the banded and not medically a candidated for the RNY Imanaged to lose 18#'s on my own. Insurance lifted the upper limit and now I'm scheduled for 4/10. But I trully wondered if it was really possible to lose 200+. Is anyone else afraid of what being "skinny" will be like. Honestly Ihave always been overweight and it scares the dickens out of me. Will I be different? How will other people treat me? Gosh the list goes on and on.

I'm going to do this. Ihave to do this but my mind just keeps going to that one subject all the time.

:confused2:

Loosing this much weight is totally doable. I started on my Journey to healthy with my top weight of 480. I am now down to 380 and am

continuing to loose. Just keep doing what your supposed to, and keep a support system of friends/ family/ medical people around you. You can do it...and so can I !!!

hi, welcome to LBT. my original goal was to lose 222 pounds (402 - 180). i've since dropped my goal weight by 20 pounds so i have 242 total to lose. i have about 80 to go.

good luck, when you use the band as a tool, and you eat right and exercise to the best of your ability, you can do it!!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I know it's a lot to lose, but I am going to do it! :biggrin2:

It definitely can be done, and that's the attitude to get it done! :lol:

It won't be easy hopeful, but it surely can be done!!

I just broke the 300# barrier :lol: after having lapband surgery 19 months ago. As I'm sure you've been told, that kind of weight loss (mine and yours) is well beyound the usual range for a lapband. Even so I have more to lose, but I no longer have any doubts that I can do it.

The important thing to remember is that the lapband will NOT lose the weight for you --- YOU HAVE TO DO THE WORK! The band helps... a little... but you have to stick to a diet and move up your exercise just a little. Little things count. But don't let small setbacks deter you either. We have a weakness for food and will give in now and then, but forget it and go back to your plan. Even while ON your diet you have times when the weight loss will stall... KEEP GOING! It's in your hands... there's no magic... simply the promise of a life where your weight will not determine everything that matters in your life!

I did it mostly to prove that those doctors

didn't know what the :eek::thumbup::tt2::unsure: they were talking about hahahaha!

Good Luck :thumbup:hopeful!!!

It is encouraging to me to read this as well. I have well over 100 lbs to lose. I went today for my pre-admission stuff at the hospital. My surgery is scheduled for April 10.

Hi - I was just banded on March 20th and I have about the same amount to loose - I started at 373 and I would like to get down to 160 - 165. I have lost 23 pounds since being banded so I am very hopeful that I can do this. I will tell you that this is the hardest thing I ever did but getting on the scale and loosing between one pound and 1 1/2 pounds a day makes it all worth it!!!! I absolutely beleive you can loose that much weight with the lapband surgery.. As long as you follow the rules 100% - I wish you the best of luck!