Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 wks post-op question re calorie intake & weight loss?

As stated i am 3 wks post-op so no fill yet. i dont know if i have restriction yet, i know i cant eat very much at a time, fill full fairly quickly. so far i have lost about 15 lbs, that was in the first week to 1 1/2 week. but, i've started keeping track of everything i eat on fitday.com, which each day averages about 500 to 600 calories a day.

this seems awfully low, but i dont want to increase it because the things i'm eating are healthy (except for one mistake i made w/ bite of scrambled eggs and a bite of bacon). i'm on mushies, cottage cheese, purreed foods. If something doesnt have much Protein i add tofu or Protein powder to it.

:confused2:but even for having this few calories, i havent lossed any for about a week. maybe its my period or maybe because i havent really started an exercise program to go with the band yet. seems odd that i would plateau already, but thats what it feels like, but how can i when i used to be able to eat a whole frozen pizza for dinner and now i am having so few calories? i didnt realize how few calories i was getting until after recording everything on fitday.com for a few days.

i'm surprised i dont feel hungry all the time after seeing the calories listed there. the only time i struggle with hunger is in the evening, but i just drink more Water.< /p>

Once you get on to regular foods your calorie intake will increase. I am 11 weeks out and keep my calories at 900. The scale will move. Just do not get obsessed by it. Just stay in the action and you will get the results. Are you getting in all your Protein? Sometimes in this stage you still need to supplement with Protein Drinks to get enough in. Be proud of your efforts so far. It is not easy and you should applaud yourself. Keep up the good work.

I know my calorie intake will increase and i guess that is what bothers me, if im not losing weight at this few calories, how am i going to lose it with more calories? maybe im just paranoid this isnt going to work either.

i am getting my Protein in. i get an average of 50g of Protein, sometimes more (today 68g) sometimes less (yesterday 43). thats why i add tofu and Protein Powder to some of my foods

Well it has only been 3 weeks. Give it some time. The minimum amount of Protein you should be having is 60 grams. I noticed that 2 of the last 3 days you were under that. If you do not get enough protein it will stall your weight loss. Are you drinking 64 OZ of Water everyday? I also see where you said you were not exercising yet. Is there a reason for that? You should not lift weights for 6 weeks but getting on the treadmill or eliptical is something that will definitely increase your metabolism and boost your weight loss. It will work if you put effort into your weight loss. I am at the gym 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hrs. I hate it but I know if I don't do it I will stop losing weight. Just keep your eye on the ball of why you had this surgery in the first place. It does not matter if your calories are low like that. Your body does not think it is starving as long as you are giving it the protein it needs. Be patient. It did not go on overnight and will not come off overnight. I know I am in the same boat, you want that scale to move everyday but that is just not practical.

the first several weeks after banding are not for weight loss. they are for healing. any loss you get is a 'bonus' and should be celebrated.

use this time to follow your post op diet and anchor that band into place.

weight loss will come once you are properly restricted (may take 1-x times).

good luck

i'm in the same situation - about 3 weeks out since banding. just keep eating like the doc said and know that nothing is going to happen overnight. some weeks you will lose, some you will not, some you might even go up. it's a change in lifestyle and know that right now is a time for healing - not losing. just wait for your fills and restriction - then, hopefully, we will not be thinking about food - and eating to live, not living to eat!

the first several weeks after banding are not for weight loss. they are for healing. any loss you get is a 'bonus' and should be celebrated.

use this time to follow your post op diet and anchor that band into place.

weight loss will come once you are properly restricted (may take 1-x times).

good luck

I understand that. Like I said, my concern is, if I'm not losing weight at less than 1/2 the recommended amount of calories (doc recommended 1200 a day) how am i going to lose it by taking in more? Just like I understand its not all coming off overnight, I just don't understand on this few calories that i'm not losing. does anyone understand what i'm saying.

regarding the Protein, yes, occassionally i get under 50, but i doubt that 7 less than the recommended 60 is going to make that much of a difference.

the main thing i'm concerned with is how few calories, if you take into consideration how few calories i'm getting, i believe i'm getting plenty of Protein.< /p>

I'm slowly adding more activity, however, my job doesnt end at 5:00.(thats usually what time i clock out, but still have much to do) My son is in the process of getting my bike fixed so that my daughter and i can go bike riding in the evenings. I do have a weight set, but as stated I cannot start that (i have tried a couple of light weight, longer sets, but it still pulls at incision area a little too much) until, well, doc recommended 6 wks. i think that by the time i'm ready for weights it will be too hot for the bike rides anyway (summer is like a cool day in hell here)

i'm sorry, i hate to sound like a whiner, like o poor me i'm not losing weight. thats really not what i'm complaining about. its the small amount of calories compared to weight loss. My husband is a Marine and when we both realized how few calories i was getting, he was wondering how i'm even sustaining.

i appreciate everyone's help, i'm going to try to contact the doctor tomorrow.

i understand.

once you are healed, you need to just find what works for you. low carb works for me... BUT i also when i was REALLY losing the weight, forced myself to the gym... getting up at 4am to work out before work, sometimes going after work. you just gotta do it. exercise is a must for optimal results.

you can do it...