Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks away, insurance not yet approved -- could use some hand-holding!

I've been lurking here on and off since November, and have finally worked up the nerve to post. To start, I want to tell all of you how helpful this board has been to me -- without me ever having posted anything. I am inspired by your stories and successes, and reassured by your first hand experiences and knowledge. Still -- in spite of it all -- I'm nervous as hell. Not so much about having the surgery, mind you, but the insurance waiting game is killing me. I will probably not find out if I've been approved until days before my scheduled surgery -- which is April 7.

Has anyone here experienced the same sort of last-minute waiting game?

Edited by Cheryl Ann
Wanted to move thread to another category (but can't do it, anyway!)

I am waiting on my approval, I cant imagine having everything set up and not not have the insurance approval. I will say a prayer for you..it will work out I just know it! Gook lUck !!!!

Cheryl Ann, we are so glad you started posting with us.

I can't say much on the insurance side of things, as I was self-pay. I do understand how frustrating it can be waiting on them though. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything turns out well.

Cheryl,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

How were you able to schedule a date for surgery prior to being approved by your insurance company? My surgeon did the original consultation, but waited to schedule a date until I was approved. I would guess that they are all but positive that it will be covered or you are in the position to pay for your surgery should they deny coverage. My thoughts are with you on a speedy approval process.

Ari

I've been lurking here on and off since November, and have finally worked up the nerve to post. To start, I want to tell all of you how helpful this board has been to me -- without me ever having posted anything. I am inspired by your stories and successes, and reassured by your first hand experiences and knowledge. Still -- in spite of it all -- I'm nervous as hell. Not so much about having the surgery, mind you, but the insurance waiting game is killing me. I will probably not find out if I've been approved until days before my scheduled surgery -- which is April 7.

Has anyone here experienced the same sort of last-minute waiting game?

Yes!!!! This is happened to me also. I have BCBS, My original surgery date was scheduled for 2/7 and did my pre-surgery testing and was called 2 days before surgery, and they told me that the insurance company is asking for 3 full months of Nutrition evaluations, and I only had had 1... so now I'm scheduled for 4/16 surgery. Wont have my approval until 4/2. (4/2,l will have completed 3 full months of nutrition visits!) I still don't know if the insurance will come back and ask for something else!! Soooo frustrating!:thumbup:

Cheryl,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

How were you able to schedule a date for surgery prior to being approved by your insurance company? My surgeon did the original consultation, but waited to schedule a date until I was approved. I would guess that they are all but positive that it will be covered or you are in the position to pay for your surgery should they deny coverage. My thoughts are with you on a speedy approval process.

Ari

JerseyGirl2U, so glad that you are finally on your way. I can easily imagine how upsetting that must have been. I am hoping for the best, but still trying to prepare myself for the possibility.

I don't know how or why, but am guessing that this is their own particular process. As far as being able to pay out of pocket, that hadn't been discussed. I feel that even if a person is able to self-pay, insurance is there for a reason, and I will be more than happy to take them on, should the need arise.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. They've really been helpful.

Cheryl Ann

Welcome to LBT and congrats on your surgery. Insurance sucks no doubt. I had to keep calling constantly, I finally got the right person who helped me get everything taken care of, he took 1 day to do it! Keep calling, be persistent! The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Good luck!

Cheryl Ann

Welcome to LBT and congrats on your surgery. Insurance sucks no doubt. I had to keep calling constantly, I finally got the right person who helped me get everything taken care of, he took 1 day to do it! Keep calling, be persistent! The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Good luck!

Were you calling the insurance company directly? Since my surgeon's office submits all the paperwork, how would I/could I do this? (I am afraid to interfere with the process). The only time I spoke with my insurance company was to find out what their criteria was for surgery. Did I miss a step? Is there someone I was supposed to call?

:thumbup:

BTW, you are an INSPIRATION!!!

Were you calling the insurance company directly? Since my surgeon's office submits all the paperwork, how would I/could I do this? (I am afraid to interfere with the process). The only time I spoke with my insurance company was to find out what their criteria was for surgery. Did I miss a step? Is there someone I was supposed to call?

:thumbup:

No you aren't SUPPOSED to call, but I did. I got it done myself. That is the kind of person that I am. Call with concern first, and if you find the right person they will help you get it done. You can tell if they are willing to help right away. Call back if that person won't help. I think it took me 6-8 people before I found the right person who would help me.

Cheryl Ann,

I have a surgery date set for April 15th and have not heard from my insurance yet. I am soooo hoping for approval. I really don't want to make a later date. I've been trying so hard to keep a positive outlook on the whole process. This is just a small part of the journey. Where are you having yours done? Best of luck! I sure it will all come together.

Cheryl Ann,

I have a surgery date set for April 15th and have not heard from my insurance yet. I am soooo hoping for approval. I really don't want to make a later date. I've been trying so hard to keep a positive outlook on the whole process. This is just a small part of the journey. Where are you having yours done? Best of luck! I sure it will all come together.

My surgeon is Dr. Christine Ren, at NYU Medical Center.

I, too, am trying hard to keep a positive outlook, but now that I'm on the required two-week liquid diet prior to surgery, I'm starving and lightheaded -- and irritable as can be. When my kids asked if I could stop off at their favorite sushi place on our way back from an errand this afternoon, I went nutzoid on them, lol!

I hope you hear good news very soon!

My surgeon is Dr. Christine Ren, at NYU Medical Center.

I, too, am trying hard to keep a positive outlook, but now that I'm on the required two-week liquid diet prior to surgery, I'm starving and lightheaded -- and irritable as can be. When my kids asked if I could stop off at their favorite sushi place on our way back from an errand this afternoon, I went nutzoid on them, lol!

I hope you hear good news very soon!

You gotta stay positive! I wouldn't harrase the insurance company. I tried that, and my Dr. told me not to and that his office was working with them directly. You dont want to ruffle any feathers w/ the Insurance Doctors, that actual approve you. If you were denied, then that is a different story. I would harass the Dr.'s office... and ask them if there is anything you can do to expedite your insurance approval. Keep me posted, I'd like to hear about your progress.... good luck and hang in there.

Oh wow!! I don't have to do the liquid diet. I think my family would disown me. I am hoping the 3 weeks of liquid after surgery will go smoothly. I was wondering the same thing with my insurance company. My surgeons office filed the paperwork. I did speak to my insurance company before they filed the papers to see what my coverage was. but, that is it. I would like to call, but like you am afraid to interfere. I guess we have every right to know what's going on though. how old are your children? My boys are 3 and 6. Fun times!!!

Booboo Kitty you look great! Congrats on your weight loss! You exercised 1.5 hours everyday???? How long after the surgery did you start the exercising?