Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How hard is it to maintain a semblance of normalcy immediately post op?

I'm fitting in the surgery during a 10 day window between semesters at school (I recently returned to work toward a degree in nursing).

Am I kidding myself in thinking that I'll be able to sit for 3hr classes Mon-Thurs 10 days after surgery? Technically, I guess I can skip this summer session and give myself a six week reprieve to heal. Though, I kind of hate to lose that time in getting the credits I need.

I think I'm probably most worried about the whole 'liquids in/liquids out' scenario more than anything else.

Any insight, experience would be most helpful/appreciated.

Thanks!

-m

i was banded on 3/4 three weeks ago . i had surgery on tues and went back to work on fri. i felt great. The only bad thing was the gas, which i thougt would mean u need to fart really bad NOPE it settles in your joints mainly shoulders. the only way to make it better isto move. Other than that I was ready to get back to some normalcy. As for the liquids, they didnt bother me an d i started mushies pretty soon. It has been great!!:)

What are the pains from? Gas, fullness, or surgery? (in post-op forum)

Re-Coop Time (in pre-op forum)

are some good threads to look at...personally, I think you will be fine!!! But, I'm no doctor...but I had mine done on Thursday, coulda been back today, but decided to wait until tomorrow...was at Walmart on Saturday...there are others though that need 2 or 3 weeks...all depends...but as for sitting in class, etc...I think you'll be fine!

my procedure was done on a friday and i returned to work on monday. since i don't want anyone to know, i had to return to normalcy by monday. my job is a desk job, and the only problem i had was that (and i think this was a combination of my pants a bit too tight and i have terrible posture) i would feel uncomfortableness not where the port is but where the actual band is. when it would become so irritating that i felt i couldnt take it any longer, i would either walk around a bit or if i did not have the time to take to walk i took a pain med, which would help. (i didn't have vicodin, something quite a bit milder, but i cant remember the name)

regarding eating, since my excuse for missing work on friday was that i had a flu bug that was going around, i just "didn't feel 100% yet" and just continued with my broth that first week. after i "started feeling better" i decided i need to start eating better so that allowed for my change in diet. no one is the wiser, and i feel that i've "maintained a semblance of normalcy"

I think its all a bit individual but I'm typing this from my desk at work on day 6. I'm a family doctor and have managed to sit through a three hour session dealing with about twenty patients without any major problems. (phew !! .... touching wood as he types !!)

I think you should be fine to return to studies by day 10. If watery stools are a problem then taking some medicine that you can buy over the counter in a pharmacy should resolve things.

Good luck

Gordon

I had the surgery 2/29. For me the first week was kind of hard. I felt good 3 days after surgery but with following the liquid stage was hard. I was hungry and I was weak. I tried to get enough Protein but it was really hard. I did not tell anyone but DH I was having this done so I resumed my work the next week, too. Sitting was fine but the gas from the surgery was painful in my shoulders. I took Tylenol liquid for that. Week two was awesome with thicker liquids. My mood improved because I could eat more and I had energy again. Week 3 I was on Spring Break with my teenagers and no one noticed that I was eating mashed potatoes and soft stuff. I am on week 4 and doing fine now.

So for my advice I think you can return to school in 10 days if you don't have any surgical complications. Of course, all I can say is EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!!! I have read many posts from different people on this site and some things I read about I have experienced. Others I have not. So it is nice to know all this so I can be prepared and not think something is too out of the ordinary.

Good luck to you and hang in there the first two weeks. I found them to be very difficult because of normal hunger and head hunger. STill struggling with the head hunger!

Grace

I was banded on Monday 3/10 and returned to law school and work on Monday 3/17 (one week later), and was just fine. I did have some pain and was moving much more slowly, but it is definitely do-able. The one thing you'll need to plan for is carrying books/laptop to and from class as it may be too heavy (maybe get a bag on wheels). You will be tired and sore, but as long as you take it REALLY easy when you do have down time you should be okay.

I know everyone is different, but just from my perspective, I was 55 when I had my band put in. I was out of work for 6 days and then back full time without a problem. As far as feeling weak, you can avoid that by stepping up the Protein (protein drinks like Isopure especially during the healing period) and keeping a bottle of Water with you always, sipping regularly. Other than that, any walking you do (to and from class across campus) is the best thing you can possibly do too.

Dancinglamb

I was banded on a tuesday and returned to work the following monday. As long as you are just sitting you will be fine.

I honestly think if all goes as planned and you are within "normal" range for recovery (some people bounce back, some take longer) you should be able to do the school without too much problem. I assume they let you get up and walk to the bathroom and stuff. I would get kind of sore being in one position for too long so I always looked kind of fidgety as I moved around trying to get comfortable but that's not a big deal. My advice would be to be willing to change plans if you feel you aren't ready for some reason. (have a plan :thumbup: