Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trading in one addiction for another?

A nurse at my doctor's office says her husband is no longer addicted to alcohol. He's now addicted to AA meetings. A friend of mine divorced her huband because he opted to replace his drinking with hallelujah-religion. These guys are both just as obsessive and just as out of control--and obnoxious--with their replacement addiction as they were with the original one.

Trish, if you have alcoholism in your family and you aren't drinking yourself senseless right now, you are almost certainly going to be OK. For one thing, you aren't acting like an alcoholic now. Forget about the food stuff -- I'm talking just alcohol (and other mind-altering substances). Second, you're aware that you might be at risk, so you're monitoring yourself. Third, a lot of us have what might be called compulsive eating disorders, but there's one difference between that and alcoholism: you can cut down on food, but you can't do without it altogether. Fourth, the band will help with the food demons once you get the right fill.

In my limited experience, recovering alcoholics are more likely to turn to food than recovering overeaters to alcohol; my heavy recovering friends and relatives will back me up on this. :)

OK, I'm jumping off the soapbox now. Good luck, Trish. I think you'll be fine.

By 5th grade I weighed 175, so I spent my entire life using willpower in one form or another to diet. I discussed this in depth with a a professional shrinky-dink, who basically explained that the human mind isn't designed to sustain such stringent and constant forces, so I basically ran out of willpower. I asked the shrinks how I can restock my willpower supply, so they gave me names of book to read. I can read and write till my eyes fall out and my fingers fall off, but fighting the demons 24/7 isn't something I can sustain for long periods, which is why I got the band.

I'm just rambling at this point, but I want to thank everyone for always being here, because it feels good to get it off my shoulders.

Now I don't feel so RIDICULOUS!!! I have been so dry since surgery.....dry lips, dry skin.....wish the Water i drink all day would get absorbed in the right places!!! good to know it's normal...i think!

OH, and lip gloss... how much lip gloss does a girl need? A tube used to last me a year, now they're everywhere. I just got to have them! There are 3 on my desk, 2 in my purse. Nine on my bathroom sink, one stuck like glue to my truck's console, one rolling around the back seat. They are in the washer, the dryer, and my dogs chew on them. What's with the lip gloss?

I think most of us are addicts or we wouldn't be where we are. Saying that we should just stop doing the compulsive behaviour we've been doing for so long ,and do something else,is unrealistic. It's like telling a junkie to just stop using.

It's going to be a long road with set backs and testing times, but if we've gone as far as having surgery then we've got the balls to make it work.

Trish,I've got the fear as well. I had my surgery on 11th Feb and my eating habits haven't been great. I've had my first fill, which isn't restrictive enough, so that's not helping. I'm a pot smoker and am wary of not indulging more than usual, to compensate for feeling that I'm somehow missing out.

I have a whole load of habits that need to be worked on and I'm confident that that is happening slowly. I've started walking at the pool, and spend more time on the computer at night - which is my worst time for stuffing my face.

I've also gotten involved in my daughters play-group committee which can be as time consuming as I like.

My advice would be to start planning things to do at your worst eating times.

Take care, Rachel.

Alcohol runs in my genes, but, I never grew up around anyone that drank. One thing they both give me that numb feeling that you get when you eat too much....that euphoria(sp) feeling. I can see why people might be attracted to alcohol after the band, because it is hard to get to that numb state.........well, I take that back.......you can still eat a bag of chocolate chips with the band lol, but, it is hard to eat to excess with the band like you use to. Some people say they get a euphoria feeling from excercise.......I don't think I will ever do that. But, find things that are positive to replace it with...be the Clean Queen, best parent/and or spouse, best lapband patient ever etc.