Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Dr Jawad banders

Hi I am considering Dr. Jawad and my WLS. Can anyone give me some information regarding their experience with Dr Jawad and the Bariatric Center in Ocala, FL?

Thanks,

Gina

Edited by gina0922

I went to a seminar of his and he was really pro RNY. I got the impression he didn't like Lap Band very much. I have since picked out a surgeon in Gainesville. He is listed on the lap band website as having done the most lap band surgies in the area though.

I went to a seminar of his and he was really pro RNY. I got the impression he didn't like Lap Band very much. I have since picked out a surgeon in Gainesville. He is listed on the lap band website as having done the most lap band surgies in the area though.

I think he does prefer the RNY over the Band and he has done over a thousand of them and somewhere around 500 or so of the Lap Band surgeries. But as far as a bariatric surgeon, from what I have read and believe me I have done a lot of it, Dr. Jawad is rated #3 in the nation. Either way I think you would be in good hands.

But if you found a WLS that you are happy with then you have made the best choice for you and that is what is the most important thing.

Where are you in your process? Do you have a surgery date yet? I go to Dr. Jawad for my consult on 08/29. I have almost all of my pre surgery testing done. Last thing is my last weigh in on Sept 8th and my final psych visit 09/02. Then it off to the ins for approval. Whew! It's been a long 6 months!

Gina - you show that you are in Palm Bay. Dr Fusco is in Melbourne close to Holmes. He did mine & I'm delighted.

Going to Ocala for fills is going to be trying.

Gina - you show that you are in Palm Bay. Dr Fusco is in Melbourne close to Holmes. He did mine & I'm delighted.

Going to Ocala for fills is going to be trying.

I went to Fusco's seminar. When he through that $3700 "Program Fee" out there I knew he wasn't for me. I just don't have that kind of cash laying around and I can't see getting an equity loan for it either. Besides, per my Insurance I have to go to a "Center of Excellence" for my ins to pay "In-network" amounts. And the closest one is Dr. Jawad in Ocala, he also does lap band and he includes the cost of the fills in the surgical fee, so that the ins will cover it. He has no program fee either. Only a $250 consultation fee. My surgery will be there but my follow ups will be in Orlando. After the initial post op visit, I will only have to go every 6 months. For me the drive was worth saving the $$ that Fusco charges. I hear he is a good Bariatric Surgeon, I just couldn't afford him.

I also decided that GBP was a better option for me after talking to my PCP. I have read many positive and many negative things about both surgeries, but for me, having to continually get the fills was just not something I wanted to do. I need the restriction all the time, because I know me. I would just say, "Well maybe I'll go next week for a fill". Something would happen and I would put it off. So a GBS is my choice.

Best of luck to you!! How much have you lost?

I think he does prefer the RNY over the Band and he has done over a thousand of them and somewhere around 500 or so of the Lap Band surgeries. But as far as a bariatric surgeon, from what I have read and believe me I have done a lot of it, Dr. Jawad is rated #3 in the nation. Either way I think you would be in good hands.

But if you found a WLS that you are happy with then you have made the best choice for you and that is what is the most important thing.

Where are you in your process? Do you have a surgery date yet? I go to Dr. Jawad for my consult on 08/29. I have almost all of my pre surgery testing done. Last thing is my last weigh in on Sept 8th and my final psych visit 09/02. Then it off to the ins for approval. Whew! It's been a long 6 months!

I have completed my visit with my PCP, who ordered thyroid/blood tests (done) and an chest x-ray. She referred me to a psychologist who called today and wanted me to come tomorrow as they had an opening, but I can't due to being out of town for work this week. I have not had a surgery consult though. I'm pretty sure I've already completed the diet requirement. It seems to be moving along pretty quickly since I went to my PCP. She is really knowledgeable about everything, and her office is right across the hall from the surgeon's office. I'm planning on using Dr. Brient at North Florida Regional Medical Center in Gainesville I've also been going back and forth about which procedure to use, but I feel that lap band is right for me. I just hope that it works. My PCP mentioned that she'd had two patients fail on it because they ate around the band. She has seen success as well though. I think the worst would be getting the surgery and not losing weight or getting it and gaining it all back.

I've also heard that Dr. Jawad is one of the best surgeons around. It just works out better for me that Dr. Brient is in the town where I live.

Congratulations and I hope your insurance approves quickly and everything goes well!!

Not many have posted on Dr. Jawad. I am happy to hear he is a great surgen. I have been directed to him from my insurence. They have approved 4 visits. So i guess his office will put in the request for surgery once I complete a few things. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone to him for the LapBand.

Im having surgery on Monday Aug 16...less than a week w/Dr Jawad...he is the best around...Im a little nervous though..Im also scared b/c I haven't followed the pre op diet like I should....I hope I dont have any problems.

Hi, I had my first band done by Dr Jawad in 8/08. Very good job. I live in Gainesville and started going to Dr.Sarantos. He is very nice.

I had a bad slip last year,which was my fault, and Dr S. removed it. Tomorrow I'm having 2nd band put in.

Hoping that being in Gainesville I can have better support. Dr Jawad is very good but I hated the drive to see him.