Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor Doesn't Require A Pre-Op Diet...

My surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet, but since it seems to be the norm to do one for 2 weeks, I want to do it on my own, plus it will kick-start the weight loss. My question is what do other doctors normally give as the pre-op diet? I've heard a few different diets so as far as liquid diets go, what is more common: nothing but liquids, or liquids and a small dinner? Any advice would be great since my surgeon isn't going to give me any!

My surgeon required a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and then a reasonable dinner. They gave me a list of suggested dinners that consisted of some sort of lean Protein, veggies, and a small portion of starchy food. The Protein Shakes they recommended were super high in protein, low-carb, and low fat. I used the powder form. They suggested 16 oz per meal, which was actually 2 scoops of powder. They also suggested 64 oz of Fluid per day. Hope this helps! Much success on your journey!

My doc didn't require a strict one like I saw some people had.

(This is what I did on my own-1 month pre-op..I tried to restrict sugar & salt intake)

As per doctor..1 week pre-op I had to do SSS.. Soup sandwhich salads.

3 Days pre-op I had to do clear liquid only diet.

Well, I certainly wouldn't do an all liquid diet if I didn't have to. Yeah, I've lost 10 lbs in 5 days, but it's been very hard. I understand about wanting to get a jump start, and I applaud you for not living it up and eating without abandon. But all liquids is hard.

my doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet either. I seen someone says Protein Shakes and a healthy dinner. I was going to try that. I hope you can find one. Good luck on your lapband journey.

Chilly

I wouldn't do a liquid diet if you didn't have to either. I didn't have a pre-op diet at all, except for liquids two days prior to surgery. I asked my doctor about this and he said he felt that it was more important to have his patients in top health and strength for healing. If he went into surgery with a person who was weakened by a liquids only diet for two weeks, they took much longer to heal in that weakened state after surgery. He only did that if medically NECESSARY, and it was only in rare cases. I asked about the "fatty liver" issues and he stated that in most cases he could work around that. It made it more difficult on him as a surgeon, but made it easier on the patient, and he was more concerned for his patients welfare than the extra effort it put on him. It made sense to me so I didn't argue with him.

I was on 2 protien shakes a day with salad/lean meat/low-fat salad dressing. The possible side effects are gall stones, kidney stones, and severe cramping. You need to drink a lot of Water (at least 44 oz) to help your system process the excess protien and to alleviate Constipation. I used "Pro-Rated". It has 27 grams of Protein per serving. There is also a brand called EAS that you can get from costco. But....Unjury is the best tasting protien shake out there, imho. But it doesn't have the same slow release feel that the other two have.

To tell you the truth though, I wouldn't do it w/out medical supervision. You might be okay, but then something might happen. If you do it, ease into it.

I think I might just do the 2 shakes and dinner--it's what you do for Slim-Fast so it can't be too dangerous. I just feel like I'll be cheating if I don't have some sort of diet beforehand when most people have to go through it!

Interesting. I just attended a seminar on Saturday and the reason he requires a pre diet is to shrink the size of your liver. He said he has had difficulty doing lap bands sometimes because peoples livers are so swollen and enlarged. He has been having people do a diet the 2 weeks before the surgery not sure if it is full liquid or 2 shakes small meal. He did say he has had to do an open operation on a couple of people due to the size of their liver and the difficulty they had getting behind it to the stomach. Made me think that diet sounds damn important because I don't want to be cut open if I can help it.

My pre-op diet was quite simple, it was 10 days of zero to low fat, and lean high Proteins. Lean meats, vegetables, salads, but watch the dressing it is high fat!

I lost 6-8 pounds in the 2 weeks leading up to banding, but what the diet did do, and what I would suggest to you to simplify your post op and recovery would be to eliminate the caffeine, and the sugar from your diet....and cut the carbs as well, as much as you possibly can. With the sugar and the carbs, the more you eat, the more you want. So if you can get through the withdrawals from those, BEFORE you are coping with post op discomfort, and possible gas issues, then you will be that much ahead of the game, and more prepared for the post op diet.

You can also use this time to taste test some Protein supplements, to find one you will like. Keeping in mind you will need both one that is CLEAR liquid---such as zero carb Isopure, and also one you can later use in Protein shakes when you move on to Full liquids and mushies.

You can taste some broths, and things along those lines, so you can stock some to have ready for you when you get back. Don't forget to look into some of the sugar free flavor packets to add to a bottle of Water, like Crystal Light...as well as others. You will be working to stay hydrated following surgery so if you have a variety of flavors, it helps your stomach as well as your head----if you have some flavor variety! Finding some you like now, will put you ahead of the game. And give you something to drink as you begin eliminating the sugars for now.

Also it is not part of a pre op diet---but during this time, take some candid pictures of yourself front, side, and back--as well as a full face shot. And get a little notebook, and list your weight, and take a full set of measurements. Include your neck, bust, under the bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves and upper arms. When you go to the gym, they do not count all these measurements, and neither do I in my signature, but.....it will give you such a great view of the changes you are making as your weight drops. I know when I plateau according to the scale is when my inches really change--not sure how that works, but as long as it works--I am ok with it!!!

Good luck as you prepare for your banding!

Kat

My dr requires 2 weeks of Medifast. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it was easy enough. Not much to figure out, just eat 5 packets of stuff a day. And, I will say, after the first 3 days I wasn't hungry!

Thanks for all the posts, everyone!

Kat, thank you for all the extra tips. I already knew where I was getting my Protein powder but I forgot about the Clear liquids phase. I already have one step ahead of the surgery in that I stopped drinking soda weeks ago. I've always loved Crystal Light (I buy the generic though) and now that's all I drink. I never drank coffee so right now I'm already caffeine free :smile:

2 week preop diet is not normal...in my book anyways.

Mine was 2 days...same as other procedures when the innards will be tinkered with.

2 days is all that's needed to ensure any food is digested. Those who give a longer liquid diet is just for some other reason...not surgery related. Of course, this is my opinion.

I was wondering about this. My pre-op diet is not as strict as some; Protein shakes, green veggies, a small dinner, as much salad as I want. It is less food than I'm used to, but not as bad as some I've seen here.

My BMI is 36. I know they want to shrink the liver, but is that the main purpose of the diet? Or are you sort of "cleaning out" your system? Or is it just a matter of losing a few lbs before surgery? I understand that it also prepares you somewhat for post-op eating.

Seems strange to see such a wide variety of pre-op diet requirements. Maybe it has something to do with that person's BMI and/or liver enzimes test results??

Anyone have a clue?