Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aspects of Blindness

Hi all, I'm just learning my way around, though I've been lurking for quite sometime, but I'd like to introduce myself, and hopefully, give anyone who wants to a chance to ask questions about blindness. There may be many of you who have never come in contact with blind people, and I hope you will feel free to ask any questions you'd like. Don't worry, nothing will offend me.

So let me tell you a little about myself.

I have been blind since birth. I am considered totally blind, though I do have light perception. I can also see shadows, though I couldn't tell you what shape the shadow takes. I am a switchboard operator by day, and a professional musician. I have performed quite a lot and have released an original CD, just to prove that I could.

I have a roommate who is visually impaired, meaning she can see things generally, but needs magnification to see details. We shop, clean and cook for ourselves.

I don't have a guide dog, though I have friends who do. I don't think I have the temperament for one.

I am pretty independent; in fact, I've been to England twice, alone.

So ask away, and who knows I may ask in return. I'm always doing that to my sighted friends!

Debbie

Hi serenity55, it's very admirable for you to open yourself up to questions. There was a lot about blindness that I didn't get until I met and became good friends with a blind man. That really helped put things into perspective.

I'm so sorry for asking this and feeling very stupid about doing so (although I'm probably not the only person to wonder), how do you use the internet and post on forum sites, and all that? Are there computer programs that read it to you? I am one of those people who have never been in contact with a blind person and I don't mean to seem ignorant in my question. And I agree with Wheetsin's post that it is very admirable for you to open yourself up to questions.

Good to meet you Debbie. Welcome to LBT. It's great that you want to broaden people's awareness and knowledge of what it's like to be blind or have low vision. We can all certainly learn from one another. It's great to have someone to check with about questions we might not have otherwise felt comfortable asking.

Your signature doesn't say whether or not you have been banded. I wish you the best on your weight loss journey.

Hi, Ang1982,

There's nothing for you to be sorry about. I use a screenreader which is called JAWS (Job access with speech) which speaks everything that appears on the screen. When there is a picture, though, it doesn't describe it--it just says "graphic, smile," for example. There is also a braille display, which blind people read with their fingers. I have one, but haven't hooked it up, yet.

Thank you for asking, and remember, no questions are too stupid. You should hear some of the stuff I ask my sighted friends!

Debbiequote=Ang1982;757621]I'm so sorry for asking this and feeling very stupid about doing so (although I'm probably not the only person to wonder), how do you use the internet and post on forum sites, and all that? Are there computer programs that read it to you? I am one of those people who have never been in contact with a blind person and I don't mean to seem ignorant in my question. And I agree with Wheetsin's post that it is very admirable for you to open yourself up to questions.

Hi Foofy,

Thank you for your post. To answer your question, I haven't yet been banded. I'm just starting my journey, trying to learn all I can. I talked in my introduction about how terrified I am of needles, which has been a big deterrent, but I'm tired of being fat, so I've decided to start the process. I have to have blood work done. I'm going tomorrow to have that done, and then I'll see my primary care doctor to get the ball rolling.

I'm grateful to have a place like this to come to.

Debbie

OK, I have lots of questions and I hope I don't sound too stupid. When you dream do you visulize things or just hear things? If you see in your dreams are they colored? Speaking of color, Do you see any color? If someone says that butter is yellow does that have any meaning to you.? How do you know what clothes go together? How do you know when your food is done, if your didshes are clean, if it's raining or snowing before you go outside? Do you ever wear mismatched socks? I told you I have millions of questions about blindness. Mostly because I'm a nurse for a child that is blind and deaf and severly brain damaged. There is no way to communicate with her and I wonder how she feels in her dark silent world. I'm glad you can hear!

I get asked about dreams quite a lot. In fact, I sometimes get to talk to actors interested in portraying blind people--I can't answer for those who are legally blind--and that's one of the questions people ask.

Yes, I do dream, and yes, I see, but it's not in the way you'd expect. Because I've been blind since birth, I imagine things the way they are when I touch them. My piano, for instance. It is a baby grand, and I know its curves, how the lid feels (looks) open and closed, and what it's like inside. If you can imagine the shapes of things without color, that's sort of what it's like.

As for colors, I can see them if they are bright. But I'm not always sure what they are. My sister had a color wheel, I think that's what it was called, that was on or near her Christmas tree. She told me what each color looked like as the wheel turned and I was able to remember them. So, I don't really know much about shades--royal blue, emerald green, but I do associate colors with different things. I usually think of blue when I'm outside and the sun is shining, and there are no clouds--clear blue sky, in other words.

Rain I can hear, unless it's sprinkling, but you can also smell rain. And there's always weather reports, though I'm not sure how much I trust them! :-)

As for clothes? I often recognize certain outfits by touch, and I usually remember what color they are. I also pretty much know what colors go together. If I've worn mismatched socks I can't remember, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

Oh, I live in a part of California where we don't get snow, but I have a friend in Pennsylvania, and I've asked him how he travels in snow. He says it's pretty interesting. It can mess up your ability to hear traffic sounds, especially if there's a lot of it. I'll have to ask him again exactly what he said.

I work at an organization for the blind and we provide services for deaf-blind as well. Many read braille, and carry on pretty active lives. I know one woman who lost her hearing when she was a teenager, I think, and can still speak, but can't hear or see, and she volunteers in the press department.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Debbie

Hi Foofy,

To answer your question, I haven't yet been banded. I'm just starting my journey, trying to learn all I can. I talked in my introduction about how terrified I am of needles, which has been a big deterrent, but I'm tired of being fat, so I've decided to start the process.

Debbie

Debbie, that just knocked me over. The Docs always hide the needles from people, so they won't be scared. But you're scared of needles, and you can't even see them.... Wow. BTW, needles are a very small part of this experience. I don't think you should let that stop you. Plus, we all need needles at one point or another in our lives, and this might be a good way to help you get over the fear. Hang in there.

Foofy,

I went to have the blood work done today, and the lab tech tried twice. He was pretty good, though, meaning he was friendly. I always tell them I'm scared of needles. I think it has to do with my having had Fluid drawn from my eyes when I was a few weeks old. (Or the surgeries I had when I was seven, or any excuse.) :-)

Anyway, though I can't see the needle, it's the feel of the alcohol that alerts me to its coming. Thank you, and I'll definitely keep hanging in there!

Debbie

This is fascinating. I mean, I know that it's a disability, or handicap, but a friend of mine who is handicapped calls herself handi-capable and I like that very much. She doesn't let her disability keep her from doing whatever she bloody well pleases, and it sounds like you're just like that, too.

I have several questions that I'd love to ask, but I'll start with just one, which has a couple of parts to it.

In your dreams, are you sighted? And if so, is everything sort of like black and white, or monochromatic (if that's the right word)? Or do you dream in the other 4 senses, much like life?

I think it's wonderful that you're willing to share your life experience with us non-special people. Thank you!

Hi, travelgirl,

I am sort of sighted in my dreams, meaning I see things the way I imagine them to be, which isn't necessarily the way they really are. But my other senses are definitely working. For instance, I often dream about being outside during the day, and I feel the sunshine, and actually see the sunlight.

I wrote a little more about this earlier in this thread, in case this doesn't answer your questions. But if it doesn't, ask away!

Sometime this weekend I'm going to try to post about myths people have about blind people, like our supposed heightened sense of hearing. Or the fact that we're either superhuman or totally helpless, both of which annoy me no end!

Debbie

I had a nephew by marriage who was blind, due to issues with juvenile diabetes, he went blind at a very young age. We used to take Dave to Elitches Gardens---a Six Flags Amusement Park in Denver where he lives, he was sooo much fun, he loved making the ride attendants freak out, by screaming before we even moved or anything. He was the best fisherman I have ever known---he told my son it was because he could hear the fish coming, and when he was young, he believed him!

We lost Dave to his diabetes, a little over 2 years ago. He taught me a lot---and was just like you in his willingness to share what he obviously knew a lot about! Finding you here with the same attitude, brought a fond smile----miss that prankster something fierce!!!

Hope all goes well with your goal of being banded!!!

Kat

Debbie welcome aboard! What a lovely addition you are for the forum! I'll be interested in seeing your posts about myths. Recently I had the opportunity to read Crashing Through, by Mike May. Wow was it interesting. He is a superhero for sure!

Kat817, what a wonderful but sad story. I'm sorry you lost Dave to diabetes. A lot of the people that come to the place I work are blind as a result of that disease.

Thank you, Globally Yours, for the warm welcome. I'm still reading and learning, but I look forward to reading all your posts and following your journey. Where are you in the process?

I will post some myths tomorrow. I was accompanying a musical theater class today, so my brain isn't functioning very well. (That's my excuse, anyway.) :-)

Thank you all for being here

I also want to try and add things to my signature the way a lot of people have. Even that's part of the journey, but I like it!

Debbie.