Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help reading my sleep study report?

I have copied my sleep study report below. To me it doesn't look complete, but then again I've never seen one before! I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand this? Thanks in advance!

SPLIT NIGHT POL YSOMNOGRAPHY

POLYSOMNOGRAM TECHNICAL SUMMARY: This is a 16-channeI polysomnogran. Duration of the recordingis 363.0 min. .Four channels are used for EEG, two for oculog'am, and one each for chin EMG, nasal-oral airflow, chest respiratory effort, abdominal respiratory effort, ECG, oxygen saturations, body position, microphoie for snoring, and two for anterior tibialis muscle activity. Lights out at 11:29 PM andlights on at 5:32 AM.

POLYSOMNOGRAM SUMMARY:

Sleep architecture: Sleep efficiency is 85%. Sleep onset occurred at 10.5 minand REM onset began at 285.0 min. (4.8 hrs.). The patient spent 2% total sleep time inStage 1, 92% total sleep time in Stage 2,0% total sleep time in Stages 3/4, and 5% in Stage REM. Arousal rate is 13.0 per hour. Total sleep time is 310.0 min. (5.2 hrs.).

Respiratory data; 0 obstructive apneas, 0 hypopneaSjO mixed apneas, 0 central apneas are noted. The average rate is 0.0 per hour (normal is less than 5). Supine rate is 0.0 per hour with a non-supine rate of 0.0 per hour. The non-REM rate was 0.0 per hour and the REM rate was 0.0 per hour. Minimum oxygen saturation with events is 0. Total supine time is 86.6 min. with anon-supine time of 222.8 min. (3.7 hrs.).

Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep: PLMS rate is 0 per hour. PLMS arousal rate is 0 per hour. POLYSOMNOGRAM IMPRESSION: This overnight sleep study reveals the following fhdings:

1. Patient history (Get from the Sleep History Questionnaire)

2. A) The pqtient did not meet laboratory proJoCQlcriteria for initiationof nasal CPAP during the first two hours of the study.

:) Upon completion of the study, the/patient dd qualify for a nasal CPAP titration study.

3. Respiratory Finding^ (AM, Severityv& Saturation)

4. Snoring level:

5. ECG:

6. PLMS:

7. Sleep Architect:

8. Medication effects on steCp (if applicable):

9. Other:

CLINICAL RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Treatment options:

A) Normal PSG:

:rolleyes: Fujtt night CPAP titration study:

C) Surgery:

I didn't get anything like this when I had my sleep study. They sent the results to my cardiologist, and when I went in for a follow-up, he gave me the results. I had severe sleep apnea and was put on a CPAP machine. Maybe your doctor can interpret these for you?

from what it looks like you dont have sleep apnea but im not a doc.

did they come in and put the cpap on you during your study ?

mindy

Respiratory data; 0 obstructive apneas, 0 hypopneaSjO mixed apneas, 0 central apneas are noted. The average rate is 0.0 per hour (normal is less than 5). Supine rate is 0.0 per hour with a non-supine rate of 0.0 per hour. The non-REM rate was 0.0 per hour and the REM rate was 0.0 per hour. Minimum oxygen saturation with events is 0. Total supine time is 86.6 min. with anon-supine time of 222.8 min. (3.7 hrs.).

This is what will tell you or should tell you how many epidsodes of apnea you had during the night. My doc showed this to me and i had like one every 30 seconds. this says none . But your doc should bring you in to discuss the results , i would not go on what im saying !

Mindy

thanks for everyone's input. My ENT doc gave me the copy of the report and all is said is everything looked fine. It wasn't until I got home that I actually looked at the report. I guess at the bottom it just looks like they didn't complete the report. I guess I'll just wait for my surgeon to look at it. Not that I want to have sleep apnea, but I was a little disappointed that it showed no findings at all. And I know that on an average night I do have the symptoms of apnea. I just hope the insurance will approve my surgery with this report.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

did you have the cpap put on you at all during the night ?

mindy

Then its probably safe to say you do not have sleep apnea . If you have sleep apnea they will come in at night and put the CPAP on you , adjust the pressures and let you sleep more. that is how they find out what pressures ect to have your CPAP on.

Good luck i hope your approval goes well. do you have any other co morbidities ?

mindy

I have a large hiatal hernia, degenerative disc disease, I've had 3 knee surgeries w/arthritis. And that's about it. I just don't know if it will be enough without the apnea. I guess I'll find out!

I have a large hiatal hernia, degenerative disc disease, I've had 3 knee surgeries w/arthritis. And that's about it. I just don't know if it will be enough without the apnea. I guess I'll find out!

I would think so ? But you never know with insurance companies .

good luck let us know how it goes. Also maybe the report is incomplete ? your surgeon might have the complete report ?

Mindy

Your welcome !

I hope things go well. Sorry i might have missed it when do you see your surgeon ?

Mindy

I had a sleep study and from what I could tell at first you did not qualify for a cpap study, I had my cpap study in the 2nd visit, it seems that is what happened to you, I guess each hospital does the study different. anyhoo,from what I read you will be getting a request from your doc. to have a cpap study. that is how I had mine done. good luck. Galina

Mindy-I saw my surgeon around the first of February. They submitted my package to Tricare and Tricare requested the sleep study before approval. But the surgeon requested an endoscopy because of the possible hernia. The hernia turned out to be larger than expected. So we're hoping that will help w/the approval. But of course we were expecting a positive sleep study test because I do have the symptoms of it. But I guess not severe enough to show up on the test! So now they will resubmit it to Tricare and see what happens.

Galina-thanks for the info. I guess every place does it different. I'll inquire about the cpap test.

Mindy-I saw my surgeon around the first of February. They submitted my package to Tricare and Tricare requested the sleep study before approval. But the surgeon requested an endoscopy because of the possible hernia. The hernia turned out to be larger than expected. So we're hoping that will help w/the approval. But of course we were expecting a positive sleep study test because I do have the symptoms of it. But I guess not severe enough to show up on the test! So now they will resubmit it to Tricare and see what happens.

Galina-thanks for the info. I guess every place does it different. I'll inquire about the cpap test.

Good luck let us know how it turns out !

Mindy