Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery date set for tomorrow (March 11th). I am getting very nervous that I will not be able to enjoy certain foods eventually again. I am wanting to enjoy all foods just in smaller portions. I no this is a tool to help control food intake but am nervous to give up (pizza, bread, steak, roast) ect. I know some of these foods have also been the cause of my weight gain, but would still like to enjoy a slice of pizza once in a while, or a small steak, ect. Just wondering if other people have went through this or are going through this same phase. I sometimes feel I am to young (28) to have to give up some of the good foods for life.

Any comments appreciated.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. Every decision involves a counter-decision. You choose A, so you say no to B. In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it too--an appropriate phrase for lap banders, I think!

Right before I was banded I felt like I was undergoing a real loss of my best friend, food. I still feel, occasionally, that I wish I could just order anything I want off the menu at a restaurant. But truely, it isn't that important to me anymore. And to quote King Jack, nothing tastes as good as being thin.

You are too young to choose to go through the rest of your life fat. That's what you are too young for.

And by the way, I do still enjoy a small slice of pizza once in a while. We had steak for Christmas dinner. It has to be thin crust pizza, and sometimes I just eat the toppings off of it. The steak has to be chewed so much that often I just give up because it isn't worth the trouble. Your desires change. You discover that the food isn't giving you the pleasure like it used to, but looking in the mirror gives you a whole lot more. Sex is better. Life is better. Meeting new people is more fun. Taking a walk is a joy, not a chore. I have better things in life to enjoy than pizza now!

Dear needtoloose,

We are in the same boat. I am 27 and my surgery is on Friday the 14th. I am worried that I will not be able to have some of the foods I love, but then again all of the foods I love are foods that are bad for me and will only hurt me in the long run. Honestly, I am also worried that at my age I won't be able to have a few drinks with my friends anymore. But then I think about that and the reason why I have been avoiding going out with my friends lately is my weight. Just think how good you will feel this summer when you are able to buy some nice new clothes and feel good about yourself. If is wasn't for the band you wouldn't have that opportunity. Good luck tomorrow & just think about how you will look and feel this time next year!

i think everyone feels that way before their surgery. i'm not banded yet and i don't have a surgery date but i think about it too. every time i eat something now i wonder if it will be for the last time BUT i'd rather lose weight than have a steak.

like Snowbird said, by the time you get done chewing that piece of steak or that piece of bread, the rest of your meal will probably be cold and unappetizing.

some people are able to eat smaller quantities of their favorite food... some can't. for me, it will be extremely difficult to give up diet pepsi. i love the carbonation but i'll give it up if it means it will help my (future) band work to it's fullest potential!

Your post sounds like a post I made a week before my surgery. i didnt' want to give up sushi... chicken express and things of this nature. I'm two weeks post op from surgery, and honestly, the only thing I was tempted to have at all so far was pancakes when I saw them on somebody's plate at a restaurant.. and then that thought passed quickly and I ate my tuna salad and was completely satisfied. For me, I haven't been tempted or even been craving anything like I use to. The only thing I've really been craving every day is tuna for some odd reason... You'll see that it will be pretty easy to say no to those items. And, I have several banded friends and they still enjoy thin crusted pizza and the other stuff that you mentioned, but they can totally live without it too. Good luck!!

I don't think you have to say good-bye forever to all of your favorite foods. You can still have a lot of that stuff you like, just smaller amounts. It's not practical to think that you'll never go out to eat at a restaraunt or at a family get together/reunion or attend social functions where there will be food. You will just have to make wise choices when you are in those situations.

From what all I've read/heard, you won't really want that stuff anymore anyway. You won't crave it. But I totally understand where you're coming from, I've grieved too. My surgery date is 3/19 and I'm on the pre-op liquid and if you put a piece of my favorite food in front of me right now, I honestly don't think I'd want it. I've gotten past the cravings and pining for bad foods. And I've got another week and a half til surgery, plus another few weeks of liquids, mushies, etc. I'm hoping this feeling of ambivilance will continue.

Best of luck to you. Try to look at this band as what you'll be gaining and less of what you're having to give up.

Needtolose,

I know exactly what you're talking about. In fact, I wasn't worried about the actual surgery itself at all , I was however worried about not being able to eat things that I love.

It's a natural reaction because when it is all said and done I believe that most of us are food addicts. And we are taking away the choice to eat it if we want it. I always knew before that pizza wasn't good for me but I could rationalize and justify in my head why I was "entitled" to it.

I'm 20 days post-op now, and no I can't sit down and eat pizza like I did before, but eating the way I did before is what got me into this mess to begin with.

It's ok, go ahead be nervous, worried, etc etc, but know that you are making the best choice for you, and you may still be able to eat all of the foods you did before just in moderation.

Best of luck!

Thanks for all the relpies so far, they are very helpful. One question I have, is I am hearing alot of people talk about not having diet beverages and alcoholic beverages. My doctor said it is different with everyone on the carbination factor, but says I should be fine and as far as drinking beer, they only say that it is additional calories, but the beer itself won't hurt you, you will not be able to have as much as before, but having one occasionally is fine.

the other reason I am probably nervous is, it make me jealous to see people of average size be able to eat and drink whatever they want and they dont have the weight problem. Just venting a little.

Thanks everyone for listening and your comments.

Many doctors advise against anything carbonated because it causes burping, which puts stress on the stomach and the band. This is especially true during the first six months after surgery, when the band has just been stitched into your stomach and you want to keep movement of the stomach to a minimum.

I was never much of a carbonated beverage drinker anyway, and there are substitutes. When we go out we order Water with lemon, or iced tea. My husband then puts an envelope of artificial sweetener into the Water for a light lemonade.

Wow! This is my first day on the site! and I have enjoyed your post so much! I am really excited for you! I haven't ben banded yet, but all I can say is with any addiction, prayer can and will change things.Pray about it. And remember how FLY you are going to be! :)

the other reason I am probably nervous is, it make me jealous to see people of average size be able to eat and drink whatever they want and they dont have the weight problem. Just venting a little.

Thanks everyone for listening and your comments.

All I know is that no average or skinny person ate the amounts of food that I use too and that's why I think they don't have the weight problems.

:cursing:Whoever said chicken Expresss :drool:.... I'm gonna get you! :sneaky:

I think everyone feel a bit nervous about living banded but you know you are ready when none of that is as important as getting your health back! No one deserves this disease...we are good people with a challenge....even thin people have challenges! We just can't necessarily see them:) Good luck to us all!

:cursing:Whoever said chicken Expresss :tt2:.... I'm gonna get you! :tongue:

Girl, I said chicken Express... HAA HA H HAAAAAAAa, aint that stuff fricking good? OMG! Chicken tenders, gravy, mashed taters and two biscuits is what I use to eat.. with a LARGE sweet tea.. oh my gosh.. you must be a southern girl cuz I don't think they have those up north.. lol. Yeah, thank goodness they dont' have one in my town since I moved...

Oh, somebody mentioned the alcohol thing.. i went to my doctor yesterday and the paper just said no alcohol for a month after surgery. Since I'm going on a cruise April 20th, I will be well past the month date. lol