Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 9 months p/o & still no restriction! Is this band not going to work for me??

kbinaz,

Thanks for the info, I've never heard that before. I was never unfilled until this time, so it could have been that. I so appreciate your confidence in me for losing the extra 8! I'll let ya know when I break even and start "adding" the pounds lost again...I do still feel a little "sign"....nothing drastic or "certain", but still a little different than before. I am hopeful and still on track. Good luck to you too!

Karen,

You're definitely not alone. One thing I have learned for sure, this is a process. No matter what we go through, someone else has been there and knows what it's like. That's very comforting to me. I wish you the best of luck also. Keep in touch!

Queen Jane--I sure like your Doc. Sounds like he is trying and won't give up on you. I read in a previous post that you can be overfilled, but then I surely wouldn't know about that, huh?! You're gonna get there....I'll be waiting to hear and praying that it's sooner rather than later (for both/all of us). Much luck!

I'm so confused and frustrated! It has been almost 9 months since I was banded. I have 8cc's in a 10cc band. Surely!!!..I should feel restriction by now!! Each fill, I am so hopeful that "this one" will help and do what I "thought" the band was supposed to do. I tell myself each time that I feel a difference, but after a few days, it's obvious that..once again...no difference. I have lost about 70lbs. to date and I know that is GREAT, but I have done it with my own fortitude (I want to succeed!!!!), and the FEAR of hurting my band and screwing up my last chance to change my life. The last couple of months, I have lost and gained and lost and gained. The same as I have done my whole life. I have reached the "set point" that my body gets to.....between 60-70 lbs. and I just stop losing. That's when my willpower fades and I start to overeat. I was counting on my band to get me through this and so far, no luck. My band never tells me I can't eat a particular food. I can eat anything I want---bread, rice, Pizza Crust, steak, chicken, ANYTHING!! I could eat as much as I want (I choose NOT to, as I'm trying to make this work!)---my band doesn't say "No..that's too much..stop!" What my band DOES do for me; I can't eat too fast, and I can't take large bites and "gulp" my food or drinks. I get chest pain if I do and I have PB'd and slimmed a few times, but only if I eat or drink too fast. Never because I've eaten to much or the wrong things. Is this all the band is going to do for me???!!! Am I going to pay all this money (I was self pay...that was HARD!) and be able to gain weight as long as I chew good and slow down? I know this is not a "cure all". I know this is a "tool". I know I have to do the work...forever. If I was not willing to do all that, I wouldn't have lost the 70 lbs., but I certainly thought that I'd get to experience a "full" feeling. I thought I'd have a band that would tell me "your full...stop". I thought it might just say "no....you can't eat bread, or steak, or SOMETHING, but nothing doesn't agree with my band. I'm nothing like what I read on the message boards. I'm worried that this is all I'm going to get! Do I have to do it all on my own even with a band, or is something wrong with me or my band???!!! I just went for my last fill 2 wks ago and no difference. My doc said come back in 2 months. I am losing willpower every day. I could be up 10-20lbs in that time, and who's to say the next fill is going to do anything either! Please forgive me for going on and on, but I just need to know if anyone else has experienced this. My doc is pleased with my weight loss, but as I keep telling him....I've gotten this far and I'm thrilled, but I need some help NOW from my band. If I could do it solely on my own, I wouldn't have needed the band! Please don't misunderstand....I KNOW I wouldn't have lost ANYTHING without having my band put in. It totally has put me on track and gave me incentive to do my best, I just need more help than I'm getting. Can anyone help me please?

I have been banded since 18 sep 2007 but lost 27kilos so far, but yes can eat anything, and lately feel real hungry, had 4 fills next not till end of may

Do any of you have a regular dietian? With my program I paid a lifetime fee. That includes a dietian anytime I need them. Also, are you drinking when you eat? That is a big NO, NO. The food just goes right through as if there was no band. I do not know if that will help you.

as for me....we were provided a dietian before and after the surgery. I could probably call them now, but they provided us with lots of good information and book references. Knowing what to eat and how much has never been my problem. Doing it "consistently" and throughout "loooong plateaus" and "never giving up"....that would be my problem. That is why I need restriction from my band. So I can have help and continue on. As for the drinking with meals...I always wait at least an hour. That was the hardest thing for me in the beginning. I have accomplished that task now though. I am proud to say I am still feeling "some difference" since my last fill...Monday morning. Haven't I read that some fills don't even kick in for a week or two?? I know I'm not at my "sweet spot" yet, but I'm paying very close attention to the "signs" of.....maybe if I give it time....I might be satisfied. Not full, not stuffed, but satisfied. Don't laugh...I'm trying to be positive here! ha

as for me....we were provided a dietian before and after the surgery. I could probably call them now, but they provided us with lots of good information and book references. Knowing what to eat and how much has never been my problem. Doing it "consistently" and throughout "loooong plateaus" and "never giving up"....that would be my problem. That is why I need restriction from my band. So I can have help and continue on. As for the drinking with meals...I always wait at least an hour. That was the hardest thing for me in the beginning. I have accomplished that task now though. I am proud to say I am still feeling "some difference" since my last fill...Monday morning. Haven't I read that some fills don't even kick in for a week or two?? I know I'm not at my "sweet spot" yet, but I'm paying very close attention to the "signs" of.....maybe if I give it time....I might be satisfied. Not full, not stuffed, but satisfied. Don't laugh...I'm trying to be positive here! ha

Don't forget about the 30 - 20 - 30 rule...in case you don't know it::huh2:

DO NOT DRINK FOR 30 MINUTES PRIOR

EAT WITHIN 20 MINUTES (and be done until the next meal no snacking)

DO NOT DRINK FOR 30 MINUTES After finishing the meal

:tongue_smilie:Hang in there!

I feel bad for everyone who's struggling with fill after fill and not getting restriction.

I got great restriction on my first fill. I had my second fill two weeks ago and had to go today and have a slight unfill as I could barely get Water down! And to think, I almost didn't mention it!

But I'm blissfully ignorant of how much my band holds, how much he put in. I don't know how many Gigabites my PC has or horsepower my car has -- I just know when they don't work right, find someone who can get it working right!

God bless you all!

amsderb...No, I can honestly say I have never heard we aren't suppose to eat 30 minutes prior to eating. What does that do? I don't do it always, but I'm sure I have done it. The other two points you made, I know and practice. I never have a problem drinking and it doesn't make me full, so what does it do? Maybe that's one of my problems!

Pam...restriction on the first fill!! How BLESSED are you!??!! That is great! I'm jealous! (but happy for you of course)

miminims....

the idea behind the not drinking 30 prior is based on most likely 2 things..to my understanding...

1. You dont want to be full so that you don't eat (ok that sounds funny but true)

2. You don't want it to aid in digestion...like help the food slip too fast from your pouch through your stoma too fast...

The nutrtionist said she could see them taking that first rule away so I don't know how hard fast it is...they liked the 30-20-30 rule ...sound of it...

So, she said if you accidentally sip a sip of Water before you eat...you really do not need to wait 30 min...but if you drank more..then wait...stands to reason if it is sitting in your egg shaped pouch that any Water staying in may help slush the food down faster...

Anyone else have a response?

Hello everyone!

Well, it's been several months since I posted my progress on this thread. The bad news is that the last fill I mentioned did not bring me the restriction I was hoping for. My next apt. was 1 month away. I lost 4 lbs. that month and he gave me another fill of 1/2 cc. Next apt. was 2 months away. That apt. I had only lost 1 lb. (for 8 wks!) Bad....I know. Still not feeling restriction. I was about as low as I've ever been. Totally feeling like a failure.

My Doctor had a long talk with me. Told me I was NOT a failure and that everyone is different....yada yada yada....Said that he was putting in another 1/2 cc and to come back in 1 month, and if I wasn't doing much better this time....we'd check things out again. WELL......FINALLY with 9cc's total!! I am RESTRICTED!!!! I am soooo happy I could shout it to the world!! For the first time in 13 months, by band is doing what I wanted it to do. I can drink my coffee in the morning with no problems (so I'm not too tight, right!? yea!!) and even eat an egg if I wanted to. (carefully and slowly) Then the best part....I'm not hungry throughout the day!! I eat a small lunch....I feel full!! OMG!! That makes me so happy I could cry! I can drink without problems. I eat a small dinner and I'm satisfied! How great is that? I am at my "sweet spot". It took a LOT longer than I wanted it to, but it's here and I'm a happy bandster! After all my "whinning" I just had to write and shout the good news! This band is working for me and now my Docs job will have to be to "keep" me here. I know I will always have to do my part, but it is so much easier now than it has been. I am on my way down again. It feels so good. Thank you all again for your encouragement! May God bless each of you on this journey as well!

Congratulations! It sounds like it has been an uphill battle for you and you have done tremendously well in maintaining or losing even small amounts, without the proper restriction. Now that you're feeling it, I hope the future yields some quick losses to reward you for all your hard work.

Thank you so much Fanny! You've done awesome! Congrats on your success and much luck to you achieving your goal as well!

Hey you!!!!!--I am really glad to hear you are finally "feeling" something...I am so envious that you were mentally able to hang in there for as long as you did...I could not. I was really loosing my mind when nothing was happening. (remember me-the support group called me "the angry woman") After having my band "re-snapped" I have restriction!! I am cautiously optimistic because at the same time last time I felt restriction as well. I guess my next big question is what does the "sweet spot" feel like? I know that I am restricted because I have gotten stuck (man oh man does that hurt!!!!) but don't know how much is too much. I am aware of overfill-my doc was very concerned about that the first time(never happened of course). But when is enough enough and not too much? (one more time HOORAY for you, mininms!! I am so happy for you!!)