Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just can't get started on the pre-op liquid diet. I keep cheating by noon.

Help! I am so looking forward to getting the lapband. But, my BMI is 57 and my surgeon won't do the surgery until I get rid of 45 lbs and get my BMI to 50. How embarassing to be too fat for weight loss surgery. I had no idea that I would be too big. I have seen many others have the lapband with BMI's in the 50-60 range. I am a self pay. I don't have to deal with an insurance company telling me what to weigh before surgery. Everyday I start the liquid pre-op diet. Everyday I just get soooo hungry that I screw up. That is why I wanted to lapband. To stop the hunger. Has anyone else had this trouble? Thanks for listening!

Try doing the Atkins diet instead. You won't be hungry at all. That's the great thing about that diet. All you eat is Protein. It's the digestion of carbs that causes hunger pains. You can lose weight very quickly with that diet. It's not a good diet long term, but it will get you going on losing.

I would highly advise that you look for another surgeon. MANY do the surgery on higher BMI patients. The pre-op diet usually lasts for a week and is for the purpose of shrinking the liver so that the surgery can be done via the lap approach.

#1 - Perhaps, since you are self pay you can find another doctor to do the surgery.

But, no matter what dr you go to I heard it is safer if you do loose some weight prior to the surgery (just what I have gleamed from the boards - I am sure someone can explain why better).

I am on day 3 of my pre-op and its killing me. However a couple of tricks that my dr told me was to take

One Chromium Picolinate 400 mcg per day can be taken for fat-burning purposes.

One Metamucil capsule can be taken at 10:00 am and one at 3:00 pm for hunger pangs

My PCP also prescribed Phentermine (15mg) just to help take the edge off.

I've also found if I drink LOTS of Water it helps.

Good luck to you, I know you can do this

I am on Day 5 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, the first of two! My surgeon requires 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks low cal.(like I've been doing with the nutritionist), then 2 weeks liquid before surgery. I am scheduled for April 18th. And so far so good, but now that is the weekend and my husband and children are home I am going crazy, all I think of is FOOD! I cheated a little today, I ate 1 chicken nugget, a piece of chocolate, and about 6 wheat thins! Which to make myself feel less guilty I told myself atleast I didn't binge like I would have in the past. I am doing 4 Unjury Protein Shakes a day, and I have not at all felt hungry! Just my addiction to food is my problem! From what my nutritionist say the Unjury was the best and that they require all patients to do it. Welcome to the UNJURY Homepage Hope it helps, we are not alone!

Just a note I wrote in the Unjury website and it automatically made that link, I just wanted people to know where I got it. I am not endorsing them, I don't mind the shakes, but it's all up to individual people!

The unjury website is for whey Protein isolate, which is the purest (don't get the whey Protein concentrate). Their products are okay--and the best part is they sell sample packets.

There are also a gazillion other flavors and types of whey protein isolate on the Internet (I use Amazon.com and get free shipping).

SydneyLouWho, (I love that moniker!) I do find that Protein shakes satisfy me for hours (just the powder--please don't buy the canned garbage), so that may be an option--as well as losing the carbs from your diet!

The very best of luck to you...:lol:

The pre op diet is very difficult for me as well,,,I am doing 5 weeks of Optifast and i think i have gone 4 days without blowing it , so i have decided for the last ten day's before surgery i will do a low carb high Protein diet and try to stay with low cal options like lean grilled chicken and beef and lots of dark green leafy vegetables ,,,the most important part of a pre op diet is to reduce the size of the liver by reducing it's fat content, I am sure when you go on a low carb diet your liver is the first place to lose fat, but we should always ask a doctor , just to make sure,,,I am waiting for mine to call me back just to make sure,,,I hope my date does not get cancelled due to my pre-op diet.

I think you could lose just as fast eating low carb. I never had any trouble losing a lot of weight doing Atkins, which is practically no carbs. I just could never stick with it after losing all the weight.

SydneyLouWho, When you say you keep trying to get the liquid diet going and then cheat by noon, are you expecting one shake to hold you till noon? What time are you having the first one?

The reason I ask is that my doctor's office says not to expect it to last 4 hours (like Slimfast claims), especially for the first 3 or 4 days, till your body gets used to a new rhythm. They told me to expect a shake to last me about 2-3 hours at first (especially if you're exercising), but if you practice waiting an hour after you "eat" (drink that shake), then drink a bottle of Water, you can easily hold out that long. And if you mix it up a little and have broth (which should have some Protein grams in it), that'll keep you going.

The most important direction they gave was: on a liquid diet, do not go hungry. If you need an extra shake, have it for goodness sake! Day 3 was by far my hardest, now it's not so bad. WE CAN DO THIS!! :smile2:

it was really hard for me, as well...but 3 days before i did slimfast (which i perfected to taste like a frappuccino) and lost 4 lbs in 3 days. my doc told me to lose 5 lbs so i was in good shape by the time my surgery came around.

Thank you! I went out today and bought the metamusil caps and the Chromium Picolinate. I hope that helps. I am sooooo hungry right now. I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow. I appreciate all responses and ideas! I really feel like I am not alone in this.

Isopure from GNC helped get me through the two weeks. I just have a few hours to go now. The first few days I found the hardest by far. It gets easier to the point where I forgot to take my afternoon shakes yesterday and still wasn't hungry. I think it's more of a carb addiction and head hunger than anything else. You can do it. Just try to keep your mind on something else. Good Luck

I personally don't see how a little bit of chicken breast would hurt. If you compare calories and fat, they are probably the same. The whole idea is to lose weight before surgery, and chicken breast has little or no fat. I am convinced that it would not slow down weight loss.