Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded on Monday, and I must say it wasnt exactly like I expected. I have researched alot, and from most forums ppl say they were only down for a few days and had no problems. Its not Thursday, and I cant bend over or anything. I am in pain most of the time, and have lots of gas that just swells up in my belly. To be honest with you, I didnt think it would be this painfull. I really expected to bounce back pretty quickly. My appetite is starting to come back and I am hungry all the time. I havent and wont cheat though. I want to use this to its full advantage. I only took a week off of work, but am thinking I should have taken more time to heal. I am just ready for these two weeks to be over so I can just be comfortable. Did anyone else have really bad gas, and lots of pain for more than a few days?:blink:

I was banded on 2/14/2008. I also expected to just bounce right back and was a little surprised at how many days I didn't feel very good. I also had a lot of gas trapped in my belly and chest, but I wasn't burping or passing gas very much. It helped for me to recline in the middle of the day and in the evening with a heating pad on my stomach. That seemed to help a lot with mellowing out the gas pain. About a week after surgery, it wasn't as severe. Then suddenly, about eight days after surgery, I felt dramatically better. I hope you have some good Protein Powder. It helps a lot with the hunger.

Yep I had lots of pain and had to sleep in a chair for 5 days. Were times I wondered what I did to myself. take your pain meds as often as you can and sip what ever you can get down. I'm a week out today and feel much better.down 28 lbs in 7 days. Drink you will feel better Good luck

Hess

It is good to see that I must be normal for once. Today is the first day I have felt good. I also have been only comfortable in a recliner. I took the pain meds alot and Gas X strips they work miracles quickly. I heard how everyone was doing good the next day and thought I would be too but as you see we might be the rule rather than the exception. As far as food it got real hard until I called the doctors office and found out that 6 days after surgery I should be on regular food only blenderized. No more liquids thank GOD.

ooh my - i am in the same position. i was banded on tuesday (3/4) and i can hardly stand from a seated position. it hurts to even wipe myself when going to the bathroom (yes...gross - but when you have to bend down it's torture)! My stomach is all gassy but nothing comes out of either end! I've been writing all about it on my blog (see link below in my signature) but I thought I would be able to go back to work today...instead i'm going to try and go back monday. let me know how you are doing. here's to wishing us the best!

I was just banded on Monday, and I must say it wasnt exactly like I expected. I have researched alot, and from most forums ppl say they were only down for a few days and had no problems. Its not Thursday, and I cant bend over or anything. I am in pain most of the time, and have lots of gas that just swells up in my belly. To be honest with you, I didnt think it would be this painfull. I really expected to bounce back pretty quickly. My appetite is starting to come back and I am hungry all the time. I havent and wont cheat though. I want to use this to its full advantage. I only took a week off of work, but am thinking I should have taken more time to heal. I am just ready for these two weeks to be over so I can just be comfortable. Did anyone else have really bad gas, and lots of pain for more than a few days?:blink:

Thank you for the detailed blog.

I have not been banded yet.

I am waiting for (Aetna) Insurance to approve.

:eek: :blink:

It's funny I probably felt better on day two then I did on day five. I was banded on Wednesday and was cruising right along, and then on Sunday--wham!! I couldn't stand upright and was just generally sore all over. That passed by Monday and I was back to work on Wednesday.

As has been said a million times on the boards, everyone is different, and you just have to take it day by day. As the saying goes "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst"

Amhancock, I'm with you. I too was banded on Monday, 3//308, and it hasn't been easy. I'm really hungry, very sore, extremely gasy, itchy all over (dr. says it's a reaction to narcotics, i'm on lortab) and can't seem to be able to control body temp. Hot and sweaty one minute, freezing the next. I'm counting on Monday, day 8, being a turning point with the addition of full liquids. It sure is hard finding anything fulfilling with clear liquids. My doc also says not to add protien suppliments til next week. Keep me posted on how you're doing. alafish

Banded 0n 2-22 in Juare Mex. I was sore just or a few days ..Im weeks out and get to start pureed today ,, I still am tender at the port site but am doing great... I think the key is to get up and move around as much as you can ,, I went back to work on day 4. Hope you all feel better soon,,,

Hey there,

I was banded on 2/25 and dealt with all this, only I belched all the time.. LONGGGG belches which I think helped alleviate some of the gas pain in my belly. My upper belly was all mishapen and bloated and I was in pretty bad pain for 4 solid days. By day 5 I ventured to movies.. and was still somewhat sore. By day 7 I was great.. The swelling and bloating does go down, it just takes a good 7-8 days. It will be fine next week and you'll all be telling this to others....

Well it is day five for me now, and its getting better. I am hungry most of the time but I just try to pass the time. I am just really sore and my incisions hurt quite a bit. I try to get out everyday and get some exercise and I think this helps. Well...thanks for all the input and I will keep you posted on my progress.

i was banded 3/5 and felt like crap from being inflated, got home that afternoon and took my pain meds and have felt better each day. went to work today and worked 3/4 of the day and came home because my port was starting to bother me and i didn't want to drive while medicated. my inflation is deflating and i feel a lot better. as far as food i pureed some broccoli and added it to my broth, have gatorade 2, and Water, oh yah some sf hot chocolate in the morning with a scoop of instant coffee. walking has helped immensley with the deflating process. i seriously questioned my sanity when i got out of recovery, but after getting home and taking the lortab i am soooooo glad i did this!! it will only get better so hang in there everyone! g2s

Does anyone have some suggestions of what to do about intense itching in the incisions? It's driving me nuts!

What kind of stuff did your doctor say you could have? I am not even aloud to have Soup until week three, and I read a bunch of these forums and most ppl can have soup within a couple of weeks. I am so sick of Protein Drinks, broth, and Water. Do you have any suggestions on how I can spice up my liquid meals?