Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight...for a long time?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this scenario. I was banded 5.5 months ago. My 3rd fill put me at 2.6ccs, 2 months ago. After this 3rd fill, I have lost 20 in those two months. Although I am an active person, I have not implemented an exercise program.This seems like alot of weight since I am not exercising. People say that the band loosens after you with weight loss. I feel like I am having the opposite reaction. It seems to be getting tighter. I think I am in the PBing/swollen, irritated stomach cycle. I am nervous about slippage. I have an unfill scheduled but I want to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

I can't say that I haven't experienced this before but congrats on the weight loss. It's good that you have an unfill scheduled. I would make sure to discuss these things with your doctor to see what they think. Vomiting a lot is not a good sign. Let us all know how this turns out.

I haven't been overfilled yet. I see this question on LBT alot though. Maybe you should go back to liquids for a few days, it sounds like your stoma could be irritated and swollen. Maybe if you give it a break the swelling will go down and it will losen up. I would try that first, you may not need an unfill. Of course I am not a doctor and if I were in your shoes I would discuss the option of a liquid diet with my doc to see if the swelling goes down, then schedule the unfill. Good luck to you, congrats on the quick 20 lbs you lost too!

Well, I went to Doc and, sure enough, I was too tight. Considering how difficult eating had become, I was happy to be unfilled. He took me from 2.4cc to 1.2cc. I know everyone freaks about being unfilled but I welcomed it. It will be nice to have a break and be able eat without restriction. I did have a day or two of panic like "what am I going to do? i don't have this tool to make me stop eating". But I happy to report that I am not the same person I was 5 months ago (preband). food does not have the intensity it once did. Whoo-hoo! The doctor wants my stomach to take a break and I will probably get a fill in 3 or 4 weeks. My goal is to simply maintain over these few weeks. Any weight loss will be an unexpected bonus.

Glad you are scheduled for an unfill! It's miserable to be too full. I did go thru this recently. I let it go too long. Sounds like you are having classic irritation of the stomach, not band slippage. Mine kept getting tighter and tighter until it became "normal" for me to throw up almost every time I ate. Yeah. Dumb me. However, I was SO irritated that I had to get a TOTAL unfill and let my stomach heal for a month. That was Dec. 14 and Friday I got my fourth fill and have restriction and feel great! I had forgotten what it was like to eat and not slime, PB, or throw up! When I was too tight, not only was I miserable but I didn't lose any weight! It was going up and down the same 5 or 7 lbs and it was making m crazy! SO, you are doing the right thing. You might want to go on mushies or liquids like Protein Shakes until your unfill to just rest the band.

I Am Having The Same Issues. I Got A Fill About A Month Ago, And At First Everything Seemed Ok But As The Days Went By The food I Was Trying To Eat Was Not Going Down Right. One Week After The Fill I Was Eating Salads Just Fine Then The Following Week I Wasn't? I Mean It Is Weird, Some Days I Can Eat, Some Times I Can't. Does That Mean I Am Too Tight? I Spit Up Alot And Rarely Really Vomit But Spit Up All The Time. What Does That Mean. I Go To The Docotr On Wed. I Hope He Doesn't Get Mad At Me For Not Letting Him Know Sooner!