Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Great Way to See Your Progress-BMI

<TABLE class=boxBackground style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Below 18.5 BMI </TD><TD>Underweight</TD></TR><TR><TD>18.5 - 24.9 BMI </TD><TD>Normal Weight </TD></TR><TR><TD>25.0 - 29.9 BMI </TD><TD>Overweight</TD></TR><TR><TD>30.0 - 34.9 BMI</TD><TD>Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>35.0 - 39.9 BMI </TD><TD>Severely Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>40.0 - 49.9 BMI</TD><TD>Morbidly Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>50.0 - 59.9 BMI </TD><TD>Superobese</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've only lost 27 pounds so far, but noticed my BMI has changed from Morbidly Obese to Severly Obese. It's kind of an interesting way to think about it.

My short term goal is to get to just regular Overweight, which for me is 174 pounds. Thats basically just a regular chubby person. Then I can worry about getting to my final goal which is 134.

It can be daunting when you have over 100 pounds to lose. It's a big sense of accomplishment to get yourself out of one category and into a healthier one!:w00t:

<TABLE class=boxBackground style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Below 18.5 BMI </TD><TD>Underweight</TD></TR><TR><TD>18.5 - 24.9 BMI </TD><TD>Normal Weight </TD></TR><TR><TD>25.0 - 29.9 BMI </TD><TD>Overweight</TD></TR><TR><TD>30.0 - 34.9 BMI</TD><TD>Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>35.0 - 39.9 BMI </TD><TD>Severely Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>40.0 - 49.9 BMI</TD><TD>Morbidly Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>50.0 - 59.9 BMI </TD><TD>Superobese</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've only lost 27 pounds so far, but noticed my BMI has changed from Morbidly Obese to Severly Obese. It's kind of an interesting way to think about it.

My short term goal is to get to just regular Overweight, which for me is 174 pounds. Thats basically just a regular chubby person. Then I can worry about getting to my final goal which is 134.

It can be daunting when you have over 100 pounds to lose. It's a big sense of accomplishment to get yourself out of one category and into a healthier one!:laugh:

I so agree with you on this post.....we all hang on to the number as our validation of being successfull......and that number is usually our weight. But I agree it should be BMI not physical weight....because that can very within the normal to healthy BMI by 10 pounds.

I just want to be considered healthy again. Once I achieve that I will be fully satisfied and if that is 150 pounds then so be it......it will be my lightest weight in well over 28 years....LOL

Yippee well on my way!!

It can be daunting when you have over 100 pounds to lose. It's a big sense of accomplishment to get yourself out of one category and into a healthier one!:laugh:

Thank you so much for posting that!! Yes I am still morbidly obese... but when I started I was very nearly superobese!!!

I cannot wait to be a normal person again... someone that is half the size of my former self!! :drool:

I started in the Super Obese category and now am just Severely Obese. Oh 100 pounds is nothing, try having over 200 to loose.

I started in the Super Obese category and now am just Severely Obese. Oh 100 pounds is nothing, try having over 200 to loose.

WOW!! You've lost about 100lbs in the 6 months since your banding!! How have you done it? What's you usual calorie goal per day? I am in awe of you!!

I started with a BMI of 57 and am now at 34-that is going from high morbidly obese to plain old obese!!!!!

And Leena you are more than half done! That is so amazing. It makes me think if you can lose 114, I can reach my goal.

I love this chart because you can see yourself moving to each stage. For some reason, now that I know I put myself from the Morbidly Obese category to the Severely Obese category, I see myself making progress.

Then I just need to get to the Obese and Overweight categories and I will feel like I am making greater progress. I still feel like Normal Weight might be a pipe dream but we shall see. It doesn't seem so formidible if you break it down into small steps!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that the BMI is a good indicator of being "healthy". As you'll notice below on my ticker, when I reach my goal weight (which is 240 lbs), my BMI will still be 30 and considered "Obese". I'm 6'3", played sports all my life, lift 4 times a week and graduated hs at 250 as an offensive tackle in football.

I'm looking to get 10 lbs below what I weighed 19 yrs ago and I'm still going to be considered obese? That is crap. If I go much lower than 240 (which I may shoot for depending on how things are going when I get there), I will still have to lose alot to be considered "Normal" and will look absolutely awful.

Not saying to not go by the BMI, just don't look at it as the end all for how you feel about yourself. Numbers on a scale and on a chart are just that. You need to be healthy as well. If you are healthy and you're numbers are in the acceptable ranges, NICE JOB!!! You have accomplished what you set out to do. Make a better you.:laugh:

I think we should take into account % body fat as well as it makes a huge difference as well as bone structure. I have a small bone structure and my % body fat is about 33% right now. Now if I reach 8-10 % body fat at any weight I will most likely get an unfill and be very happy. I think body fat plays a very important role, maybe even more so than BMI in how healthy someone is.

That being said to answer questions of how I lost so quickly: In Aug 07 I started my pre-op diet at 350 pounds, but Sept 07 I was 333 and had surgery. 4 weeks post-op I started working out, 20 minutes a day and now I'm up to a few hours a day. I mainly do cardio, but have recently (in the last 4 weeks) added some strength training. The less I weigh the more I work out and the more energy I have to dedicate to my workouts. I have a room dedicated to working out in my home and I moved my recumbant bike to the living room so I get in additional workouts while watching TV.

Yes I am a bit obsessive about working out. I figured I payed so much for surgery that this is going to work. And I'm going to make it work.

I watch every little thing that goes into my mouth, literally every thing. I switched to soy milk as I became lactose intollerant. I can't/don't eat bread, rice, Pasta, candy, Cookies. I allow myself one slice of pizza a month from a medium thin crust pizza from Domminos. But on that day I add an extra hour to my workout. I drink lots of Water and 2-3 cups of tea a day. On a day I try to get in about 600-800 calories and as much protien as possible. I also quit eating meat, due to the fact that I get sick of chewing it and then it looses its taste. I eat boco burgers, tofu, smartdogs and egg whites for protien. Since being banded I haven't had a whole egg, only whites. And I'm very satisfied eating this way. The only craving I get is for hot tea, probably because it's winter here.

Ceradad, you don't have to go by the chart. Obviously saying you have to be a certain BMI is the same as saying you have to be a certain weight and I certainly would not want anyone to tell me I need to be a size 2!

But I looked at your weight and BMI and if instead of 240, you changed your goal to 239, that one little pound will take you to merely overweight rather than obese. Obviously one pound means nothing. Its like for me, if I weigh 175 I am still considered obese according to the chart but if I weigh 174 I am considered overweight. Its not like one pound matters.

It is cool to see yourself taking control of your weight in this way cuz it makes you think you are making progress.

For instance, you took yourself from Morbidly Obese, to Severely Obese and you are about to just become merely Obese in like 2 seconds! That is a big accomplishment and you should be totally proud of yourself.

I am not telling you your BMI needs to be any specific number, I am just saying if you look at it this way, you can see how you are transforming your body and your health.<table class="boxBackground" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>30.0 - 34.9 BMI</td><td>Obese</td></tr><tr><td>35.0 - 39.9 BMI </td><td>Severely Obese</td></tr><tr><td>40.0 - 49.9 BMI</td><td>Morbidly Obese</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that the BMI is a good indicator of being "healthy". As you'll notice below on my ticker, when I reach my goal weight (which is 240 lbs), my BMI will still be 30 and considered "Obese". I'm 6'3", played sports all my life, lift 4 times a week and graduated hs at 250 as an offensive tackle in football.

I'm looking to get 10 lbs below what I weighed 19 yrs ago and I'm still going to be considered obese? That is crap. If I go much lower than 240 (which I may shoot for depending on how things are going when I get there), I will still have to lose alot to be considered "Normal" and will look absolutely awful.

Not saying to not go by the BMI, just don't look at it as the end all for how you feel about yourself. Numbers on a scale and on a chart are just that. You need to be healthy as well. If you are healthy and you're numbers are in the acceptable ranges, NICE JOB!!! You have accomplished what you set out to do. Make a better you.:thumbup:

I can see how you lost so much weight Leena, if I had a tenth of your willpower I would be a stick! :thumbup: I struggle to stick to 1200 calories a day. On days I do, I lose weight. On days I don't sometimes I gain weight, but it is only temporary as my weight keeps trending down. Maybe I should try not to eat so many calories? My college reunion is in June and I would like to look good for it.

I think we should take into account % body fat as well as it makes a huge difference as well as bone structure. I have a small bone structure and my % body fat is about 33% right now. Now if I reach 8-10 % body fat at any weight I will most likely get an unfill and be very happy. I think body fat plays a very important role, maybe even more so than BMI in how healthy someone is.

That being said to answer questions of how I lost so quickly: In Aug 07 I started my pre-op diet at 350 pounds, but Sept 07 I was 333 and had surgery. 4 weeks post-op I started working out, 20 minutes a day and now I'm up to a few hours a day. I mainly do cardio, but have recently (in the last 4 weeks) added some strength training. The less I weigh the more I work out and the more energy I have to dedicate to my workouts. I have a room dedicated to working out in my home and I moved my recumbant bike to the living room so I get in additional workouts while watching TV.

Yes I am a bit obsessive about working out. I figured I payed so much for surgery that this is going to work. And I'm going to make it work.

I watch every little thing that goes into my mouth, literally every thing. I switched to soy milk as I became lactose intollerant. I can't/don't eat bread, rice, Pasta, candy, Cookies. I allow myself one slice of pizza a month from a medium thin crust pizza from Domminos. But on that day I add an extra hour to my workout. I drink lots of Water and 2-3 cups of tea a day. On a day I try to get in about 600-800 calories and as much protien as possible. I also quit eating meat, due to the fact that I get sick of chewing it and then it looses its taste. I eat boco burgers, tofu, smartdogs and egg whites for protien. Since being banded I haven't had a whole egg, only whites. And I'm very satisfied eating this way. The only craving I get is for hot tea, probably because it's winter here.

Be proud of yourself Karen! That is a huge accomplishment. :thumbup: I am so jealous because I would love to be in the "overweight" category! I remember myself at that weight and (although I thought I was fat) I didn't look so bad.

That is a gratifying chart. Went from "morbidly obese" to "overweight" in 6 months.

Ceradad, you don't have to go by the chart. Obviously saying you have to be a certain BMI is the same as saying you have to be a certain weight and I certainly would not want anyone to tell me I need to be a size 2!

But I looked at your weight and BMI and if instead of 240, you changed your goal to 239, that one little pound will take you to merely overweight rather than obese. Obviously one pound means nothing. Its like for me, if I weigh 175 I am still considered obese according to the chart but if I weigh 174 I am considered overweight. Its not like one pound matters.

It is cool to see yourself taking control of your weight in this way cuz it makes you think you are making progress.

For instance, you took yourself from Morbidly Obese, to Severely Obese and you are about to just become merely Obese in like 2 seconds! That is a big accomplishment and you should be totally proud of yourself.

I am not telling you your BMI needs to be any specific number, I am just saying if you look at it this way, you can see how you are transforming your body and your health.<TABLE class=boxBackground style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>30.0 - 34.9 BMI</TD><TD>Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>35.0 - 39.9 BMI </TD><TD>Severely Obese</TD></TR><TR><TD>40.0 - 49.9 BMI</TD><TD>Morbidly Obese</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I may have come across a little too hard. I think I didn't quite say what I meant to completely (something I tend to do:rolleyes:). I was trying to say that BMI should not be the only number to look at. As leena stated, you should look at everything, weight, BMI, bf%, and how you look/feel.

Sorry for any misunderstandings.