Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

So, I'm beginning to sense that some people feel that I should get a fill... (insert winking emoticon here)

I will. But it is somehow... important to me that I lose the first 100 without the fill (it never even occurred to me before the surgery that that was a possibility, so I don't know why it's become important to me now, other than for just the satisfaction).

I tried to make an appointment for a fill on Friday, but they've switched the hours around at the clinic, so I wasn't able to catch them that afternoon. I'll call this afternoon...

Also, I'm partnering with one of the guys over in the Men's Room as a weight loss buddy - a little competition to see who can lose faster.

Thanks for your support and generous offers of a free @$$-kicking, whatever the heck that is!

Hey Shamrocks!

I guess we are all on vacation as the board is a little quiet. We had fabulous weather here on Friday/Saturday. I did get outside.

Ugh, I found out that even if you are close to the "sweet spot" you can cheat your way around the band. I did NOT need to know that. Oh well, right now is the next new minute.

Fenton, it makes sense to me that you want to lose the first 100 without a fill....sort of a personal goal and proof to yourself that it is possible! Good for you! When you're ready for an adjustment, you'll know it!

I'm quite happy right now with my restriction......I did have another 'incident' yesterday with a PB....I truly thought I was doing everything right this time, but it happened anyway....so taking it pretty easy today. 99% of the time, I feel like I'm in a very good spot, though.

My numbers have gone down a little in the last week, so that's good! Always encouraging to see a new *lower* number on the read-out!

We've just had a super busy summer....been camping a lot, spending time out on the ATVs......and of course, on the harleys in between!

I called and made an appointment for my fill - September 16. I'm in Paris from the 31st through the 14th, and I'm happy to not be banded then, to tell the truth. But I'm going to do my best to lose and keep losing while I'm there.

I find I work best when I have a routine. Here, I have the same things pretty much for Breakfast lunch and dinner every day - my gourmet days are over! But the consistency is key for me, I think. My life is so ridiculously overcomplicated (by which I mean that *I* overcomplicate my life) that not having to make decisions makes life a lot easier. When I'm in Paris, it's going to be a question of figuring out a new routine, and sticking to that...

Well band buddies, if trying to keep myself on the straight an narrow for my eating and exercising isn't enough, I have a little added stress that I've been holding out on telling about...I have to sit and pass something called my PMP exam this month as a requirement for my job - and its a bear of a test I've been studying for since January. I kept saying I'd get serious after my surgery in March, then I had another knee surgery in April, then vacation in June so I finally made myself really buckle down and get serious about this. I finally called and scheduled the exam date and its August 27th so I just have 2 weeks of study stuff left to go and then I'm hoping I'm free again to not worry about this work stuff on my non work time. For those of you who don't know what PMP is, it stands for Project Management Professional - I lead massive computer systems projects that can sometimes take years and a few million dollars to pull them off. The one I'm working on planning now could be about $20Million and involve oh roughly 200 or more people! Its a skill putting the schedules, people and managing it to within a budget. I guess I've flown by the seat of my pants for too long and this is just making it formal that I really can do my job. Okay, enough thinking about work but I did just finish about 2 hours of studying. Now I need to go watch some exciting Olympics for an hour to distract my mind before bed. I also like to read mystery novels before bed for the same mental getaway but nothing too scary...

Sugar Bean - I am doing pretty good with the intervals. I decided to keep with the 1st week again, and see how it goes, I am on vacation this week and will be spending everyday at the gym hopefully. It really is a good sweat!!!! Glad to hear your surgeries are done, don't be too hard on yourself, that is fantastic that you've stuck that close to the schedule despite your EVLT.

I don't know that I could stay away from the scale until Labor Day, but good luck with that one!!!!:wink2:

I had my support group meeting tonight, and I have to tell you fellow shamrockers that "you guys ROCK"!!! I get so much more from here than in person with this other group.

Fenton- OOOOOH-LAAAA-LAAAA I think you are wise not to mess with the band and leave the country. I always wanted to go to Paris and try out a little of my "Parlez-vous Francais".

Special K - Good luck on your upcoming exam. Job related tests are always so stressful!!!

K-Pod, we all know you have the drive and smarts to totally nail this test! Don't worry about passing it, worry about *acing* it!

And Tess, as far as giving support goes, you're one of the rocking-est Shamrocks around...

Hi Shamrocks!

Special K - Wow, you have a lot going on. These can be the tough times. I will keep you in mind and send good thoughts your way.

A friend had a fill yesterday and could not even keep Water down. She went in today and got 1/2 of the fill removed. I haven't had that particular experience. To anyone who has, my sympathies!

Having a hard time here. I need a fill and have an appt for next Tues. Had a mental breakdown today, but doing a bit better now. Talked a lot of stuff over with a friend and think I have a bit more direction now. DH is still in California...he's in a bad place right now, his 7 sibs and he cannot agree on how to proceed with taking the mother off life support. I totally get that it's probalby the hardest thing he's ever gone through. I feel horrible about the whole thing. He's been gone between work and his mother for about 6 weeks. 6 weeks of being a single mom of three, doubling our childcare expenses, getting an excellent job offer and turning it down because life is too stressful to make a big change right now, taking care fo the yard, the pool, the kids and working, and supporting DH through this hard time....it's just a bit overwhelming. Anyway, in time this will pass.

I had good restiction until last week. I have not had a fill since May. I have one scheduled for next Tuesday and I am so glad to have that appt.

Tess, I have downloaded a Couch to 5k from iTunes...I plan on starting this Friday.

Amanda, what was the name of the book you suggested about getting started with marathoning? I hope to be able to do a mini triathalon next summer. I used to be a strong swimmer, just need to get back in the Water.

Fenton, When I travelled internationally my band really tightened up, so it's a good idea not to get that first fill before your trip. I do think you should plan on posting while away to keep yourself on track.

Christine

Christine - WOW, you do have so much on your plate right now! As a critical care nurse I completely understand what your husband and family are going through, that is a large number of sibs to get to agree on how to proceed. Also that has to be hard for the two of you not to be there together... but yes you sound like you are "holding the fort down" while he is dealing with that whole process.

Make sure to take a little time just for you. Hope you have someone to help with the kids. Even if its a bubble bath, or read a book for 30 min, or relax for a while listening to music etc...

I am planning on a fill next week too, I have really plateaued this last month, and I do have a good reason other than myself!!

Glad to hear you're interested in the Couch to 5K!!!!! Good Luck and enjoy!!!!

Take Care!!

Ack! Christine, that IS so hard! In those situations, what may help is to find a really articulate physician to explain to the family members one more time what the current situation is, and what the outlook is. It's often hard for families to really grasp the situation - the person in the bed is someone they've loved all their lives, but at the same time is only the shell of that person. It is so hard to let go.

I think the temptation to eat at times like those is almost unbearable - when the world is piling up on you and all of your support mechanisms have been snatched away, falling back on the old reliable habit that has sustained you probably for decades is all too easy. I'm a textbook example - a couple of bumps in my relationship situation, and I'm all ready to ignore five months of excellent progress and strap on that feedbag!

But you know that will only bring short term relief, and in doing so will make going forward a million times harder. Most of us have made the act of eating a soothing experience in our lives, but, of course, it's something that destroys us as we embrace it. And quickly the act changes from being pleasurable to being automatic, an action that is done without thinking or awareness of pleasure after the first forbidden bite. And we - certainly I do - eat so much that instead of feeling sharp and aware and alive, we feel numbed and sluggish and inhuman. And that's even BEFORE the self-loathing kicks in!

It's hard, but you have to focus on your goals and objective. If the long term stuff like "feeling and looking better" isn't an intense enough reward to stave off that behaviour, how about treating yourself to something like a new dress, or a trip to the movies with the kids - or a Couch to 5K iTunes purchase!

One thing: I am envious of your pool. Are you getting out to swim each day? I think swimming (and floating) provides great exercise for mind and body. Use that pool!

Wow! We are all so lucky to have each other to bounce things off while we go through this process. Christine, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Special K I know you'll do well on the test and Fenton, what would we all do without you and your well spoken support? I had a fill yesterday and the doctor seems to think I should be very close to my sweet spot now. I'm having lunch with 2 friends today and it will be my first solid food. I must remember to eat sloooowwwly and chew, chew, chew.

Hi!

Christine: I had to make that decision about my father. Fortunately for me, my brother agreed. I can't imagine how hard that must be! It was difficult enough for me to basically let my dad die, without having a sibling disagree. I've seen how nasty that can get!