Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Group Topics....

Hi guys! My Dr.'s support group is taking suggestions for upcoming months and I was just wondering what are some of the things you guys talk about in yours (if any of you go to group)?? I thought this would be a great place for ideas....next month there is a Plastic surgeon coming but after that I'm not sure what....any input would be great! Thanks a million!

Katie

Nutritionist = Discuss the correct way to calorie count

Exercise guru = Discuss some techniques for alternative exercising if it hurts your belly where the band is.

Psychologist / Therapist = How to deal with the changes of being overweight to being of normal size (well you know what I mean by normal = what is normal?)

These are just my suggestions. I am sure others will chime in.

What a great thread! I hope to get lots of information... I dont go to a support group.. all I have is LBT.. There is a support group in my area but im scared to go LOL Im such a chicken They are all RNY people.. anyway I look forward to responces on this thread Thanks Katie :)

RNY and LapBand have such different issues...it's such a pain to get out of the house without an appendage or two (darling children, really, I adore them) that I don't think I'd bother to go unless is were just Lap Band. Has anyone tried taking a 2 yr old to a Weight Watchers meeting? OMG, no wonder I quit! Anyhow, how about...

-dealing with weight loss plateaus

-Fill Issues...what the right fill feels like, when to unfill, dangers of unfilling...etc

-what's on the menu? eating out tips/issues

-family "fun"...how to deal with non-supportive family/friends

-Recipe exchange for full liquids, mushies, and Band friendly "real food"

Hmmm, might think of some more. Can I come to your support group? Can I bring my kids? (kidding)

Oh wow guys these are GREAT...I'm copying them and sending them to my nutritionist!! Keep em coming your helping me out a TON!! Thanks sooooo much!!

Katie

Pre-Op recipes...

I know lots that have to go on liquids before surgery what are good recipes.. Low Carb.. smooties... things like that

I think a therapist should come and give tips on how to deal with coping with newfound social acceptance. The last time I lost a bunch of weight it freaked me out the number of men that started to hit on me.

It seems that although LAP Banders don't have to be on the Protein Shakes for nearly as long as RNYer's, they are still fairly important pre and post op. So maybe a Protein tasting night. Not sure how you could do that. Maybe see if you could get samples from some of the different makers and tell them what you are doing.

Also a clothing exchange I beleive is done by some, where people bring in things and share with others when they are out of a size.

Just trying to keep a meeting benefital for all is quite a task. There just aren't as many Banders and things always seem to go towards the RNYers. At least that has been my experience in the two different ones I have went to. I am hoping that if I continue to go that eventually more banders will come and the group might even out or become two.

I am so glad for this board. Such great info and support. Thanks everyone.

NancySmiles & Greg - you guys need to chime in here- they both help run our support groups every month & do a Hecky of a job. They should have great imput. I have been going since Nov & have learned alot.

Trish- I wish you lived closer & or had a group near you- maybe you could actually start one yourself!! Like meet at a coffee house or something- its a great way to meet others that have the same problems & success'. I've never been to NM. Maybe one day I will go & we can meet up;0)

Our support group meetings have tried "topics" and continue to do so. Recently we had a personal trainer show us exercises to do with the elastic bands (available at sporting good stores). These are GREAT because resistance training is so intimidating with weights, but SO important for building muscle.

We also had a therapist come and discuss the issues around finding ourselves in new bodies. That hit home for me, because those of us in our 40s may be faced with suddenly older-looking faces as we lose weight. That's been kind of rattling for me.

But every meeting we have ends up with free-for-all discussion, and there's never enough time for that. Newbies want to hear from long-term bandsters and also commiserate with one another, and prospective bandsters just come and soak it all in. Topics sometimes get lost. :)

We usually go over Protein types - liquid vs powder

And they have a group of Therapist on hand that deal with Head hunger and different issues that arise.

Also have a Dr that does hypnosis.

Sorry it took me so long to post! Had to ook at my notes from the last couple meetings

Some of the topics we talked about discussing are:

- Support Group Welcome Wagon for new banders

- Meal Planning sessions with a weigh in separate from appts.

- snacking, the best thing about the surgery, the worst thing about it,

- like to hear more from those that have

lost. where we set our goal weight and why, meal planning, eating out and

- Examples of good breakfasts, lunches, dinners and Snacks that fall into "good" band foods. Maybe talking about dealing with eating out and how to select "good" food choices.

after the regular meeting, even by email, of people who would like to

share their menu plans, work together making new ones, making a menu

plan for a month at a time or a week, just to get new ideas from

hope this helped!

Found more in my stack of sticky notes!

What to eat after banding

GERD

Behavior Modification

Affect on sleep Apnea

Exercise Ideas

Changing Old Habits

Eating Slowly