Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1/2 a cup? I don't think so...

My Doc But 7cc In A 16cc Band During Surgery. Why Don't Know, When I Whent For My Post -op I Had Him Take Out 2cc- I Have 5cc Now.fel Like There Is Still A Knot In My Side. Was Banded On 2/13/08. A Protien Drink And A Little Water And I'm Good. Does That Mean I Need More Taken Out? All My Co-workers Say I Look Really Pale Could This Be Why? Yes I Am Taken Vitams.

Interesting... I got banded on feb7th. I have a lot of restriction. I only eat about 1/2 cup per meal.. but what my dietitian advised my to do is eat 6 small meals a day. I'm full all the time. Not to mention I'm sipping liquids all day. If I eat something wrong I feel it!.. and no I had no fill at surgery nor have I had my first fill yet..

good luck to you all....

I am still in the Soft Foods Phase II stage. I was banded on Feb 4, 2008. My weight loss has stalled. I keep loosing and gaining the same 3 lbs. My swelling must have gone because I have no restriction now. I have been following my band guidelines and can eat up to 1cup of food per meal. Which I have been doing since no restriction the last couple of days...I'd say the hunger started two or three days ago. The hunger is tolerable not the lion beast it used to be, but psychologically I am struggling not to forget and do mindless eating or the old habit of eat because stomach wants something. My first fill isn't until March 19.

Good luck to us all!

Don't be discouraged, 4jin. You are right where you should be. It's very uncommon for people to lose much (if any) weight when they start eating mushies to the time they get their first fill. I think I lost 2 lbs. during that time and they said that was good because a lot of people gain weight!

Mushy foods are by nature usually more calorie-heavy, things you wouldn't normally want to eat very often once you have restriction. Things like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. It's ok, the most important thing is for your stomach to heal, and the weight will start coming off once you get your first fill. Don't stress about it too much. Just try to do the best you can, and hang tight until your first fill! You can do it!

I was banded on Feb 5th, and since I got off the liquid stage (and my swelling went down) I have been very Hungry, and to tell the truth, it is pretty scary. I am following the doctor's instructions, but it is harder every day..I feel like I could just eat anything...My 1st fill is on March 13, so hopefully I will just continue to force myself not to eat too much until then....It is so great to see that this is normal!!

Don't be discouraged, 4jin. You are right where you should be. It's very uncommon for people to lose much (if any) weight when they start eating mushies to the time they get their first fill. I think I lost 2 lbs. during that time and they said that was good because a lot of people gain weight!

Mushy foods are by nature usually more calorie-heavy, things you wouldn't normally want to eat very often once you have restriction. Things like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. It's ok, the most important thing is for your stomach to heal, and the weight will start coming off once you get your first fill. Don't stress about it too much. Just try to do the best you can, and hang tight until your first fill! You can do it!

snogirl....Thanks so much for your words of wisdom....I really need it...

I have no problems with mornings....but come about 2:30 on...forget it...I am really fighting it to stay on track....

Your words were great advice to hear and will let me know my actions and efforts are understood.

No doubt Drs are all different. I was banded on Feb 10 and have been put on a liquid diet for the first 4 weeks. I am a lot like Rock, I dont feel like I have the band, I was walking right out of surgery and never needed any pain meds. My only discomfort was some liver bruising from the retractor. I have nibbled here and there, making sure what I was nibbling was a good food choice (steamed broccoli, cauliflour, wild rice etc) and have never really taken more than a mouthfull. I have never felt any discomfort from anything I eat which makes the 4 weeks of liquids torture. I should be able to start mushies next Sunday, and I cant wait.

Hang in there everyone, a month of torture is more than worth the lifetime of health and happiness ahead.

I'm also glad I found this thread. I just had my 2nd fill and only now am I beginning to feel any restriction (I'm at 6.5cc in a 14cc band). Even at 4.5cc, I was able to eat anything I could eat pre-banding. At 4.5cc I was able to go to Golden Corral and have a large salad followed by a plate of meat and veggies. 1/2 a meal? Try 12 cups, hah! I've actually tried sticking to good foods and reasonable portions, but the fact of the matter is if I were any good at dieting, I wouldn't have needed the surgery.

Hang in there, things are a'changin'.

I already posted on here earlier, but something is bugging me so here I am again! I am trying to figure out where the 1/2 cup 'rule' even comes from. I was never told to weigh or measure my food - ever. Why do some doctors tell their patients to do something that is only going to make them miserable and add more guilt to a person that has already been made to feel like a failure and had to resort to major surgery to lose weight? Overweight people have trouble restricting their food intake - there are lots of reasons, physical and emotional, for why they can't do it, but that's beside the point. The point is, to tell an overweight person who just had major surgery to limit their food intake to 1/2 cup and expecting them to be able to do it is like telling an alcoholic to limit their drinking to 1 shot and expecting them to do it! The whole point of the band is to give us the ability to limit our portion sizes. After surgery,and once the swelling goes down, we are often just as hungry as before banding because the band is not functioning yet. It needs to be adjusted. Once the band is properly adjusted our portion sizes get smaller and we need less food to stay satisfied. I just don't understand the 1/2 cup thing. I was taught to eat slowly, take small bites, chew each bite thoroughly and to stop after 20 minutes whether I had food left or not. When you aren't extra tight (like without a fill or even after 1 or 2 fills) you can get a larger amount of food in within that 20 minutes because the food is going down easier and so, while the 20 minute time limit did limit my portion sizes somewhat, I was able to eat way more than 1/2 cup in that time. The idea of the band is to give us the willpower that we overweight people don't have because we feel hungry if we don't eat large quantities of food. How can a doctor expect us to have willpower just because he put a band in us when it isn't functioning yet? Okay, done with my rant!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong....while on a liquid diet you will be able to take in more than 1/2-1 cup because the liquids just pass through the band (at a slower rate)..The first day postop I was able to drink the whole cup of broth. Now that I'm 5 days banded I try to limit myself to 1/2-1 cup because I don't want to "stretch" anything and besides I get a lump in my chest....

Why do some doctors tell their patients to do something that is only going to make them miserable and add more guilt to a person that has already been made to feel like a failure and had to resort to major surgery to lose weight?

Which leads me to a rant of my own. Why are the rules between different doctors so drastically different? There are many of these so-called rules (carbonated drinks, caffiene, measuring your food) that differ from doctor to doctor. My wife and I are both banded and some of the things we've been told are exact opposite. My doctor said the most important dietary concern post-surgery is Protein intake. My wife's doctor has never mentioned Protein to her -- ever. It really kind of makes you think all of this isn't quite science yet and more just a bunch of wild guesses, speculation and hunches.

Hello Everyone,

I was banded on Feb. 1st and will be going in for my first fill on Thursday the 28th. I haven't had a single problem with any food since being banded. Actually, I don't really feel any different than I did before being banded. No restriction at all! In all of the info I received from the doc, it says that you aren't supposed to eat more than a 1/2 a cup of food. I can eat more than that and it doesn't seem to bother me. I do get full quicker but I'm not gorging myself by any means. But, I am worried that the lack of restriction will make the sudden restriction after my fill unbearable. Any answers or ideas?

Ok, so I had my first fill on Friday the 1st and I feel a little restriction, but not at all as much as I was expecting! They told me it can take up to four fills to get the amount of restriction just right. Sheesh - I don't want to gain back everything that I've lost so far! Has anyone had this experience? I'm anxious to get on track!

I've got just the opposite problem. I was banded 6 days ago and am on the soft diet (soups in a blender, Jello, pudding, Protein Shakes, etc) now and can barely eat 1/3 of a cup without feeling like I just finished Thanksgiving dinner. I am averaging 400 calories a day and the doctor said to try to get in 60 - 70 grams of protien a day - I can barely do 30. I have my first post op meeting with the doctor tomorrow and will have many questions, I was told I would have my first fill in about 2 weeks, but unless something changes drastically, don;t see that I will need one. I am retaining a lot of Water however, my legs and ankles are very swollen and according to the scale have gained 3 pounds since surgery - reading other threads I see this is somewhat normal though.

I think I can clear up the 1/2 cup rule. When you have good restriction, you will only be able to eat about 1/2 cup and feel full. It's not up to the MD or anyone else. It is simply the design and placement of the band. Successful restriction will leave you with about 1/2 cup of space to fill with food.

I had my 3rd fill in a 14cc band (now at 7cc) last Friday, April 11th and I now have restriction. I had one egg this morning for Breakfast and I am full. I'm not uncomfortable full, just feeling a very real sensation of being full, much like when eating a regular meal.

It is amazing! I love it. Now I just have to make sure I get all of my Protein and nutrients and Water. It's a whole new world for me this week.

Keep up the good work. Remember why you had the surgery and don't give up!

Have a Great Day!

Cherlita

I too have the 14 cc band but I onlyhave 3cc in it....I am going next monday for another fill I am hoping he will put another 3cc in it like last time....its really hard to access my port so he said he was being more agressive than usual!!! I cant wait to be full off 1/2 c