Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post op day 4- hungry!

Well, I have survived to day 4. I am hungry. Tonight, I pureed some Campbells bean and bacon Soup and strained it and had that for dinner. Hope I didn't overdo it. How much am I supposed to be able to eat in one sitting? My literature says 4-6 oz. but after 6, guess what? Still hungry!! Is this normal? I am not able to meet my Protein goals- cannot stomach the Protein Drinks now- blech. But I am in heaven with this bean and bacon soup- yummy!

It was hard for me to get through the first week. I didn't like the Protein powders mixed in my foods. I pretty much lived on Boost and Carnation Instant Breakfast (like pre-op). I also found when I was not getting enough Protein I couldn't control my hunger.

After I got into thicker foods I found that I can get 30 grams of protein by making smoothies. I used yogurt (about 5 grams of protein), soy Protein powder (25 grams), crystal light (Sunrise), frozen fruit, and sometimes a little vanilla. I found I couldn't really taste the Protein Powder (even my mom could barely taste it and she's anti-soy anything!). I try to have one of those a day. Between everything else, I manage to get in my protein.

I also take a couple of cans of refried Beans and put them in a blender with a can of enchilada sauce. I will usually add a little cheese sauce in it to boost the protein amount.

Seeing I'm taking 3 classes right now, I switched my bottle Water to the Special K protein Water. It helps me get that little bit extra. I still drink plain water when I'm at home and only save the protein water for school.

My sister-in-law told me about Naked juice (Welcome to Naked Juice) having a Protein Drink that is 20 grams of protein in one serving (the bottle is almost 2 servings...your body won't process more than 30 grams at one time). There's no sugar added. You can find it in the organic area of your grocery store. I bought a bottle to try. I just gave it a taste, it really is pretty good.

It was hard for me to get through the first week. I didn't like the Protein powders mixed in my foods. I pretty much lived on Boost and Carnation Instant Breakfast (like pre-op). I also found when I was not getting enough Protein I couldn't control my hunger.

After I got into thicker foods I found that I can get 30 grams of protein by making smoothies. I used yogurt (about 5 grams of protein), soy protein powder (25 grams), crystal light (Sunrise), frozen fruit, and sometimes a little vanilla. I found I couldn't really taste the protein powder (even my mom could barely taste it and she's anti-soy anything!). I try to have one of those a day. Between everything else, I manage to get in my protein.

I also take a couple of cans of refried Beans and put them in a blender with a can of enchilada sauce. I will usually add a little cheese sauce in it to boost the protein amount.

Seeing I'm taking 3 classes right now, I switched my bottle Water to the Special K protein Water. It helps me get that little bit extra. I still drink plain water when I'm at home and only save the protein water for school.

My sister-in-law told me about Naked juice (Welcome to Naked Juice) having a Protein Drink that is 20 grams of protein in one serving (the bottle is almost 2 servings...your body won't process more than 30 grams at one time). There's no sugar added. You can find it in the organic area of your grocery store. I bought a bottle to try. I just gave it a taste, it really is pretty good.

Thank you so much for posting that about the Naked juice, I love the stuff, but didn't know that they even had a protien drink, I've only had the bare naked juice which is heavenly.. now I can hardly wait to try some.

I can totally relate to the hungry part, I think we had surgery on the same day and I'm having hunger pangs like crazy, My mom made me some chicken broth and cream of rice mixed together which was sorta like mushy chicken noodle soup.. It served it's purpose. Good luck.. keep me posted on yummy stuff.. but not like cheeseburgers cuz right now I'd stab someone with a spoon for one of those! :lol:

Oh! my I have been so hungry. I was banded on 2/20 and have been eating everyting. chicken, chinese food last night, 1 TBL of ice cream. I think I can eat anyting and fee like I want to.

Oh! my I have been so hungry. I was banded on 2/20 and have been eating everyting. chicken, chinese food last night, 1 TBL of ice cream. I think I can eat anyting and fee like I want to.

Kobdish, You are NAUGHTY! wow, I'm slightly jealous, I'm on phase two, not quite mushy, I'm jealous of anyone who can eat normally right now.. But I'm not willing to risk any complications and wonder if long term you'll have any problems. Good luck..

Cookienay,

It is normal to be hungry after surgery. Your band is not filled. There is no restriction. You will feel like this until you get a fill. You definitely need to get in the Protein. If you don't have the Protein, you will be VERY hungry and be tempted to eat the wrong things. You can't overdo it with liquids at this stage because there is no restriction so you don't have your "pouch" yet, so whatever you have will just slide all the way straight to your stomach as it did before the surgery. Try having some protein Water or even regular Water (as much as you can) right before you eat. This will trick your stomach into thinking its full faster. I know the Protein shakes are bad, but have you tried Carnation Instant Breakfast? I find that the most tolerable. Mix it with skim milk. The more milk you put in the thinner the consistancy, and there is a fair amount of protein in the milk itself. If you can choke a glass of that down before your Soup, you will not be able to have as much of the soup which is probably higher in fat and has WAY too much sodium (as all prepared foods do). If you are eating alot of the canned Soups, make sure to increase the amount of water you drink to balance out the sodium. Your stomach rumbles the same way when you are thirsty as when you are hungry, so before you decide that its food you're craving, have a drink and see if that does the trick. It may just be your body telling you to have a drink. :)

I just caught up reading the replies...

OH mY!! chicken and chinese food- a little jealous but too fearful to attempt. I had a really rough post op the first couple of days. I hope to never vomit again.

thanks everyone for the replies. I am doing better with the Protein. I bet I am only getting about 500 calories a day, just afraid to overdo it. I have lost 11 pounds since surgery on 2/19 and I am hardly moving. This second week, I will try to experiment with the protein and the blender. Thanks everyone!!

OH MY GOSH - I am so with ya - I too, at about that time was STARVING - Stomach growling, tumbling...and I'm seriously thinking there is NO WAY I can live like this - THEN - I found GNC 100% whey Protein - unflavored - you can literally mix it into anything - Tomato Soup, milk, carnation instant breakfast (my favorite) yogurt, sugar free pudding, refried beans--- etc. It really did make a difference and got me thru to the next food stage --- I think at this point it's your body saying "what the heck have you done to me - where's the beef"..... ha! Now, I'm 20 days post op and on mushies/soft food and I have not had the hunger pangs that I did before - I still get hungry - but by then it's about time to grab something.

Just remember they say that at this point there really isn't any restriction (only swelling/healing process) so you will tend to be a little hungry - ME however, while I'm not feeling anything like what I would call "restriction" I am consuming way less than before- I'm getting fuller quicker and on much less - so SOMETHING is working in there.

Hang in there - there are better days to come.

Cookienay,

Be careful with the low calorie count. Your body will go into starvation mode and you will plateau. Try to keep your calorie intake to at least 1000 a day (my nutritionist says 1200 is the best level). I know it's hard at this stage, but your body needs energy to heal and you don't want your metabolism to go on strike!! There are about 300 calories in an Instant Breakfast so if you can add two of those to what you are having now you should be in good shape. :) You can also try having some mashed potatoes with skim milk and some shredded cheese (even a little cheese whiz light) or low fat sour cream on top. This will give you some Protein, quite a few extra calories, and it's quite filling.

AndreaL-

thanks for the advice. I don't expect to lose 11 pounds this week, that is for sure. I really think it is in my head about not wanting to eat too much (afraid I will vomit). When I hit the mushie stage, I am certain I will do better. Here I go to drink some protein!!

I too was banded on 2/20. I'm sooooo hungry and ready to call the fast food places and tell them to QUIT advertising at least for a couple weeks. I know I'm not getting in all the Protein but the drinks aren't all that great I think I've been able to get in 40-50gms a day think that's good enough for the first week? I'll tell ya I made a yummy one yesterday with Atkins choc prtein drink 2 tsp peanutbutter and ice in the magic bullet mixer and I added a little splenda!! Yum it tasted like a choc Peanut Butter milkshake .I swear I'm very picky(although you wouldn't know it by looking at me). kept me full for a few hours. Well good luck and hope to hear from u all soon.