Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm worried about the post-surgery diet until back to normal

Hi! Ok, I'm concerned about the liquid and mushy food stage. I won't eat yogurt, tofu, never have tried a Liquid Protein shake but probably won't like the consistency. Does anyone as picky as me have any suggestions? My surgery was postponed a few days to 3/25 and I'm thinking I'll need to plan ahead. I probably won't want to go grocery shopping right after I'm sure. Help! I'm looking for suggestions for something that can replace the yogurt in a shake format. Does anyone know of any shakes they'd recommend? Preferrably one that tastes just like a McDonald's chocolate one! LOL! Or is there a way to buy these individually so I can "taste test" or do you have to buy a full package? Thanks! Laura

Laura, you sound just like me, I don't like "funny" food. During the liquid stage I did have the yogurt that's like icecream, blended with a tiny bit of milk added, just because I needed the Protein. I didn't concentrate so much on what I ate as much as I concentrated on getting Protein in. My doctor told me I could have anything that would go through a straw. I had gravy, popcicles, s/f hard candy, any kind of Soup I wanted, I just strained the "food" part out. Just remember you don't want to lose your hair, so think protein.

If you have a spare $60.00 consider purchasing the Bullet, it's a small compact blender type appliance. It's sold at Walgreens, Wal-Mart. I got one for Christmas, but just opened the box Friday. Since then I've made several concotions (sp) with ice or frozen yogurt and lots of frozen fruits. You can make it thick enough to eat with a spoon or thin enough to sip. Just no chunks at the beginning/healing stage.

Best of luck to you and scan through the food section, you will find many many many ideas.

Oh yes, I tried 1 of those protein things, I don't like milk so obviously that didn't work for me. If you like milk you can do Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Laura, I too don't like most Protein Drinks. But I fellow bandster sent me some "UNJURY" to try and it was good. If you go to their web page you can order samples of their 3 different flavors. I really like the chocolate mixed with milk. They also have vanella and unflavored you can mix with crystal light or other liquids. The samples are $1.75 each I think. Good luck with the mushy stage I know it's hard but You can do it!!!! During my mushy stage I ate a lot of cottage cheese and mashed potatoes even though my dr. said no potatoes I needed that change. I am a carb- ahalic. (sp)

unjury.com The owners are very nice and will answer any questions you might have. they also have recipies on their web page.

You are wise, try things out before you get stuck w/ a case of it! I just bought whatever Sam's or Walmart had on sale (unflavored Protein powder) and added it to fat-free milk, then sliced a banana and frozen strawberries...blend very well. Tastes like a smoothie...delicious. You can change it up w/different fruits...peaches, blueberries, etc. The more fruit you add, the thicker the drink. The fruit will also help w/fiber need. Adkins Advantage canned Protein Drinks are good and handy...20 grams protein each. I like the chocolate Royale. Hoods Low-Carb has an excellent chocolate flavor.

Once you get to mushies, you can blend any foods really well (healthy of course!) that you prepare your family and eat. Taco Bell refried Beans w/ cheese were my first mushy...yummy.

I never had any problem with the Hair loss that some bandsters have reported.

Guest j. lynn

I had to do Carnation Instant Breakfast -- 3 drinks a day. Made them with 1/3 cup of powdered milk, 1 cup milk. Got the blue box (no sugar added).

I know it's not fun, but it's for a short time...so try to get the Protein in.

I could drink the choc. Slim Fast real cold...Don't know what I would have done without it!! Good luck, you will see that it goes by fast, and before you know it you will be looking back on it. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Tara

Hood Carb Countdown is great for mixing Carnation Instant Breakfast and much higher in Protein than regular milk with less carbs. I love it! I also use it with Oregon brand Chai Tea and it is WONDERFUL!

Personally, I used Atkins ready to drink shakes and I found them to be fine, especially refrigerated. Also, Jello is your friend, it at least allows you think you are getting something semi-solid. You'll find that warm broths really make you feel like you're getting something nice too. Campbells Soup-at-Hand was my 'main course' meals quite often. It's all temporary and very worth it. Temptation is there to try things that are not recommended but this time is not meant for 'tolerated' foods, it is meant for liquids only so that your band may heal in place which will help to prevent slippage later on or even early on. Causing your stomach to grind and churn to digest at this time is pretty much putting your band at risk, don't do it if you can help it! Good luck!

i'm not doing the mushy well at all...todays menu:

1 Protein shake for breakfast

lunch

4 oz broth

2 meatballs

2 teaspoons mashed potatoes

dinner

1 6oz yogurt

2 teaspoons chicken salad blended well (was fabulous)

3 crackers

4 8oz glasses of Water w/lemon

Totals cal 607 fat 25 carb 57 Protein 38

Neither mushy nor fully liquid but i'm not hungry...I probably won't lose anything at this rate either though.

Hey Gypj, well, not too bad, you definately will want to increase your calories though, or you won't loose weight. Yeah, I know, waht a paradox.

Do you mean by blended chicken salada, you used a blender to mash it up, or did you use a fork? Change the chicken salad to tuna or salmon salad, and meat balls are probably fine, as long as you mash them up good before you eat them.

The chicken salad was chicken that I sort micro shredded with a fork...didn't matter I oly at 3 or 4 chunks before getting full...loving the restrictions...tonight I had italian wedding Soup without the Pasta and 2 tablespoons of corn and a half a cookie...yumeeeee!!! i'm so full I could burst. Breakfast was 1 soft scrambled egg (ate almost half of it) and lunch was a Protein shake...gonna have to fit more protein into my day to day diet...don't want to lose the mane.

Ok, I must be a pig or have no restriction - period. I know I'm technically not supposed to now but each day I notice the same amount of food doesn't fill me as much.

today:

breakfast:

bag of oatmeal

lunch:

1/2 pita (yes, a pita bread - no problems at all)

4 oz chicken salad

slice of cheddar cheese

2 oz lite fruit cocktail for late afternoon snack

4 oz Beans for a before dinner snack (terribly faint from hunger!!)

dinner:

1/2 pita

4 oz chicken salad

4 oz low carb ice cream

What a hog I am! I will say I was having trouble getting any Water in before 9am this am. Couldn't eat my oatmeal until about 10:30. After that, I seemed to be ok for the rest of the day, except hungry every 2-3 hours! Also, haven't lost any weight for a couple of days. I heard it slows down in mushy stage for a while but I am going to ask for a fill in May instead of June when he has it tentatively scheduled.

Laura! have you actaully checked the calories you've eaten??? Tuff luv time!!!!

YOU ARE NOT A HOG!

Calories Protein Fat Carbs Fiber Sodium1,240.0 56.0 65.0 113.5 17.5 2,120.0 Okay, this is one off, but you just barely had 1200 calories. How many calories do you think you need? I'm serious here. Have you talked to your diet or nutrishonst to find out what your target calorie intake should be?

If you do not get sufficient calories you WILL NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT. Or the weight you do loose will be from your muscles, which you need to loose weight. You probably need between 1200 and 1400 calories, especially if you are working out.

YOU ARE NOT A HOG!

You just need a reality check honey! (((hugs))) The next time you are feeling this way, I want you to go here and check exactly how much you've eaten. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_food.html this is one of the best on-line calorie counters I've found, it is blazingly fast even with my stupid dial-up.

Promise me that you will stop calling yourself such a hateful name! you deserve all the respect and love in the universe!

Hi Vines! I know, I need to be nicer to myself. I'm my own worse enemy.

Thanks for the website - I'll definitely try it. I hate keeping track of all the different aspects (fat grams, Protein, etc). Must be from my old days on WW as a teen. I FEEL like I ate so much, which I think is the key.

Good key I mean because if I felt deprived then I'd feel like I was dieting and you know all diets fail (in theory). It must be a lifestyle and emotional change to succeed long term. I don't feel deprived, or hungry or malnourished. I feel full (not too full) but not needing anything or seeking anything. Not going to the fridge or pantry on the "hunt" for food. That's the point - right?

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'm just tired. First full day back at work and now I remember why I need to find a way to become independently wealthy! Or marry better next time......JUST KIDDING! My husband is great. Treats me like a queen.......