Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got 2nd Fill, but have no restriction

Hello, after being so excited about getting my second fill on Tuesday, I am so disappointed. I saw Dr. Eddie Gomez in Coral Gables, Fl (man, he is so fine!!) on Tuesday and he removed about .5 cc's from my band (I had 1 cc's in Jan., wonder what happened to the rest???) Well anyways, my port is flipped (he said I will eventually need to get it stitched back into place), but luckily he was able to do the fill, he played with the amount of liquid to get it just right and we thought he found it at 1.25 cc's, but it has been two full days and I don't have any restriction. I have called and they are going to fill me again next Tuesday. I was really looking forward to losing more weight, I have been at this weight for over a month, and it stinks. I WANT TO GET SKINNY!!!

Oh well, I hope it goes better for me on Tuesday. I do have to say that Dr. Gomez was great, very personable and very, very good looking. Makes a girl nervous to have such a good looking guy pinching her fat. LOL

hi estela

hang in there mate ... i too had a flipped port but mine has righted itself.. so try not to worry about it too much...

tracey

Well at first it kind of freaked me out, but he said I shouldn't be too concerned, that it was something that could be repaired. I hope it repairs itself, or that I can continue to get fills without having to have it surgically fixed, because I can't afford to do this now. But thanks for the encouragement.

Awwww, Estela! I'm sorry that fill didn't do the trick for you. But look at the bright side, you get to gaze at that hansome hunk-o-man again!!! Good luck to you!

Looking forward to him putting his hands on me again. LOL

Blossom, how much weight have you lost to date? You got banded one day after I did, what kind of restriction do you have now? Wow, I just noticed you have had four fills, how often do you get them? sorry I have so many questions...

Mariposa (I love your username!) --

Many people find that it takes two or three or more adjustments to get to the right level for them. Be careful what you wish for, too: If you find that you suddenly have greatly increased restriction you may be headed for unpleasantness if you're not very, very careful.

I've had fills sort of tighten up on me even three weeks afterwards, so I personally would wait at least a month before deciding that an adjustment wasn't enough. My theory (and that's all it is, a theory) is that the stomach tissue reacts to increased pressure from the band by sort of thinning out a little, counteracting the action of the band for a little while. Then after some time has gone by and it gets used to the pressure, it goes back to its normal thickness and voila! Restriction. I've been surprised by increased restriction several weeks later on at least two occasions.

Good luck on Tuesday. Have fun with Doctor Cutie-pie! :)

Well, now I don't know what to do, should I get more fill, should I stay the same? I really have no restriction, I just came back from lunch and I ate a small chilli from Wendy's, and still had room for two marshmellow Cookies. I shouldn't be able to eat that much, should I? I have until Tuesday, if I feel like I have more restriction, I'll cancel my appointment. I can't however give it a month, if I do, I will have to pay $300 again, and I'm not going that. If I go next week, he won't charge me again. But we'll see. I am however, looking forward to seeing my new Dr. Gomez, WOW did he impress me, he is really a cutie-pie. Looking forward to getting handled by him again. LOL

By the way, it is a great username, isn't it? Kellymoos told me I reminded her of a butterfly, so I decided to change my name to a Beautiful Butterfly, but in spanish. I love it too.

Estela, I have only lost 16 pounds so far. And most of that just came off in the last couple of weeks (I was overfilled). It has been a long, slow, frustrating emotional rollercoaster for me. I think my biggest problem was selecting a dr that didn't have a lot of lapband experience. It has taken so long for me to get restriction, and then I got overfilled. Now I think I am underfilled!!!! Grrrrr..... However, I am determined that this band is gonna work for me. I am trying very hard to be optimistic.

Guest cindyp

Hi Mariposa - I am experiencing the same problem - not feeling results from my first fill. I have scheduled a second fill for 3/8, and hope to get some restriction. I am now only beginning to feel a small amount following the first fill that happened the second week in January. How bizarre!! I'm still not where I need to be, but don't relish the thought of being overfilled either. It is scary not to know my body, and these new sensations. Thanks to all of you who share. It is helping me make sense of the path I am on.

It is scary not to know my body, and these new sensations.

Cindyp, this is a really good way of putting it! Surgery and then each new fill means learning all over again how to eat, essentially. That is a kind of scary thing, and it can be very unnerving to be taken by surprise. That's why everyone keeps saying go slow, take it easy, experiment but be careful.

Whatever else is true about life with the band, there's no denying that being overfilled is way worse than being underfilled. And it doesn't lead to additional weight loss. So give yourself all the time you need to really adjust to a new fill, being mindfull that your body needs to adjust too, not just your mind.

Well, I am not feeling any restriction, I am planning on going ahead and getting a third fill on Tuesday. Get to see my cutie pie doctor again, ha, ha...

Hi, I got my surgery in TJ on Dec 4th 2004, Ive had 2 fills now and I have only lost 7.5 pounds! I started at 250 lbs. And I have not eaten any foods that I used to infact I eat around 800 calories a day. Has anyone had this happen to them? Im really depressed about this whole thing now. I do pb when I try and eat meat so I just try and get all the juice out of it and spit out the rest... Frustrated in Phoenix!

Hi Gcravener,

I just responded to your post on another thread. As you'll see, my thinking is that you're too tight and falling victim to the syndrome of not getting in enough calories. Getting a little unfill could really make a big difference for you.

Good luck and please keep posting! I know other people can benefit from your experience.

I was not able to go today, I have a board meeting tomorrow that I have to prepare for, so I rescheduled for next Wednesday. I have no restriction from the fill last week, I have been eating like a hog, why am I so out of control? I need to get a hold of my eating, I have been reallly bad, I don't eat as much as I did preband, but I eat a lot, enough to not be losing any weight. Got any ideas to set me staight? I am so unhappy with myself. I hate this....