Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommend a protein powder?

Hey everyone,

Before my surgery I had ordered some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder in unflavored and vanilla. Every morning I make a vanilla Protein shake for breakie and it does me well. However, I am almost out of vanilla and ordering Unjury is another option but I have to get it shipped to my shipping address in the States and then go down there (not a big deal 1/2 hr drive away) and pick it up (just more inconvenient but cheaper than the like $$$ more for shipping to Canada). I was wondering if anyone had a brand that they bought from a Healthfood store? or GNC or something? I prefer vanilla flavored, chocolate *MAYBE* depends on the brand.

Ideas or suggestions? It would be more convenient to find one in stores here that I like.

Thanks! :wub:

I could never do powders becuase of Migraines. I like Bolthouse shakes.

They come in 3 flavors have 10 grams of Protein in each serving.

Bolthouse Farms "Welcome to Bolthouse"

the only 3 flavors that have protein are the vanialla chi , mocha and hazel nut.

Here in the states you can find them at walgreens, Walmart and most grocery stores at the grocery stores they are found in the produce section .

HTH

Mindy

they are very good and i have used both 2% milk and soy milk. i think the real milk is better for me because i get some of the fat i need in my diet as well. they soy is great for extra Protein, but sometimes i just like milk. it is all personal preference. the EAS powder comes in vanilla and chocolate, i like the diversity of the vanilla and the flavors you can add. orange vanilla is great, and the instant coffe added is really good too. being creative is half the battle. enjoy. g2s

I've been drinking the EAS brand chocolate.. its OKAY.. I ran out of Bariatrix.. not sure if that's only available in Dr's offices, but my girlfriend says she LOVES the Isopure from GNC.. that's my next stop.

I like the bariatrix better than the EAS I recently purchased, I felt full longer but it's a little pricy even the website costs about the same as my Dr's office sells it for.

BariatrX Essentials by Metagenics

The GNC brand of Isopure has a TON of different products they even have a Cookies n Cream flavor sounds YUM.. But I haven't tried it but my friend swears by it. Their prices are pretty good. 41.99 for a 3lb container, anyway.. here's the specs on it.

Perfect Zero Carb Isopure

With 50 grams of 100% Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate

NATURE'S BEST® PERFECT ZERO CARB ISOPURE contains 50 grams of 100% Ion Exchange Whey Protein

Isolate. Any and all impurities typically found in most whey Proteins have been

removed to provide you with a great tasting, lactose free, fat free, aspartame free,

glutamine enriched, state of the art carbohydrate free protein supplement.

Nature's Best set out to create a product that didn't hide anything from its

customers. We wanted you to know that you're purchasing the best product

available on the market. Our protein source is clearly identified as

100% Pure Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate. We didn't try to confuse

you by listing a protein blend that doesn't tell you how much of the product is superior

whey protein isolate and how much is caseinate or some

other inferior protein. Furthermore, ISOPURE contains 0g of sugar and is

instantized so it can be taken anywhere and mixed with a spoon.

ISOPURE's Major Proteins Include:

Beta-lactoglobulin 55-62%

Alpha-lactalbumin 19-22%

Immunoglobulin 9-10%

Bovine Serum Albumin 6-8%

Lactoferrin .5-1% In addition, ISOPURE is rich in branched

chain amino acids and glutamine.

Each Serving of ISOPURE Contains: 3465mg of isoleucine

7865mg of leucine

3080mg of valine

4.6g of L-Glutamine

Athletes tend to need more protein than

sedentary individuals to achieve positive

nitrogen balance. Most recommendations

range from 1.5 - 2.0 grams of protein

per kilogram of body weight per day.

Isopure will help you achieve thepostive nitrogen state you are seeking.It's So Pure The Protein Dissolves Clear. Enclosed in a protein sample that will prove to you just how pure the protein in ISOPURE really is. Using a spoon, stir contents ofbag into 2 - 3 oz. of Water. Let stand for 10 minutes. Please be patient, as ten minutes is needed for the air to escape. The result is a slightly cloudy liquid, clear enough so that you can see right through it. The protein used in ISOPURE doesn't have the properties typically associated with a milk protein. It doesn't look, smell or taste like milk. We isolated the whey protein molecules and eliminated the impurities to provide you with the purest product of its kind.

Ang, if you get the time, check out Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more. They have like a gazillion flavors and all sizes.

My personal fav is Belgian chocolate whey Protein isolate, which I now purchase in five-pound tubs--it took me a while of trying until I found my favorite. But I also make sure I get "free shipping", so it's delivered right to my door!

At first I bought unjury too--but I didn't care a lot for the chocolate, the chicken Soup left an aftertaste, and the unflavored has this nasty smell I just couldn't get over. So for my unflavored now, I bought Bi Pro whey Protein isolate from the Internet and man, no smell and it's just perfect for adding in!

You may have to try a lot until you find the right one for you--just be sure to get the whey protein isolate which is pure and mixes with a spoon instead of the concentrate, which has lactose for fillers (I'm intolerant :wub: ) and must be blended or it will clump.

My very best to you, Ang... :tt2:

Ang, if you get the time, check out Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more. They have like a gazillion flavors and all sizes.

My personal fav is Belgian chocolate whey Protein isolate, which I now purchase in five-pound tubs--it took me a while of trying until I found my favorite. But I also make sure I get "free shipping", so it's delivered right to my door!

At first I bought powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury too--but I didn't care a lot for the chocolate, the chicken Soup left an aftertaste, and the unflavored has this nasty smell I just couldn't get over. So for my unflavored now, I bought Bi Pro whey Protein isolate from the Internet and man, no smell and it's just perfect for adding in!

You may have to try a lot until you find the right one for you--just be sure to get the whey protein isolate which is pure and mixes with a spoon instead of the concentrate, which has lactose for fillers (I'm intolerant :unsure: ) and must be blended or it will clump.

My very best to you, Ang... :biggrin:

Thanks! I will check that out for sure. I have to be cautious with some places when ordering online that have cheap or free shipping within the US, because you put in Canada and they want to add on $25+ .. no thanks, but if I can get free shipping to Canada I'd be okay with that too.

I do have to agree with you on the unflavored Unjury though - the smell is NASTY. :ohmy:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'm going to go out this weekend and poke around some of the local stores too and see what's goin on.

Personally, I do not like the "milky" type Protein shakes... I have always been more of a gatorade type girl. I tried a lot of Protein drinks before I had my surgery so I would know what I liked and didn't like.

You can buy samples of Protein Drinks at Vitalady.com - Protein supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks!. I think she has a few hundred different types. I paid $1.50 for each sample (which was one serving... 34.5g of protein). The "Nectar" lemonade flavor is really good :unsure:

She also sells this really cool battery operated mixing/drinking cup. I bought one... just to try... then went back and bought FOUR more!

I absolutely L-O-V-E "CytoSport" Protein drinks (the tangerine tastes just like Sunny-D). This brand also has the highest amount of potassium that I have found. 40g of protein per bottle, zero carbs, 160 calories (I think). You can buy them at the VitaminShoppe, GNC, etc.

The "ProteinSLAMs" are also pretty good. I like the peach flavored one. Sometimes they seem a bit too syrupy though and I have to dilute them.

I also make popsicles out of these protein drinks for when I am feeling "snacky". I have discovered that diluting them with a little with Water before pouring them into the popsicle molds prevents them from melting too fast.

I try to "eat" at least 10-20 grams of protein each meal... and then drink one or two protein drinks to reach my goal of 100 grams per day.

I've tried a few different Protein powders and I like the Whey Protein at GNC - comes in a zip top bag and is 14.99 for a pound. It is TOTALLY unflavored.

HEre is what I've mixed in in so far with NO taste additions - if ANYTHING it makes things just a tad "creamy"

Tomato Soup

Crystal Light

Cream of chicken Soup

Carnation Instant Breakfast

Yogurt

Mashed Potatoes

Really - it doesn't taste and disolves well.