Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Jeff,

Number to WLSC is 591-9572.

I too had surgery there and am self pay. My insurance had an exclusion so no matter how much I fought, they would not pay at all. You might want to check into that before you try to fight. If you know they don't have an exclusion, just keep plugging away.

I sure wish I had done it sooner but I had to get my husband on board. I really felt I had to have his support (especially since I am self pay) so I could succeed. He was fearful and it took a while for him to understand what the surgery was and what it meant to me/us. He saw the special on TV about 6-7 months ago and that was it!

Good luck and keep us informed!

Well, Optima definitely has a written exclusion. I called and asked to be sure, and told them my doctor deemed it a medical necessity, and I was told it was still not covered.

My plan is to fight it anyway. I spoke to the insurance coordinator in my office, and she told me that we can't add the rider, as it would raise the rates of 50 people, but the reseller we buy Optima through now has a person on Optima's board, and historically, this agency will fight for us when something is excluded.

I'm going to go to the seminar at HR WLC next week (it look's like Dr. T's Wednesday session covers an additional procedure) and my wife may attend with me. She has a higher BMI than me, plus she is diabetic, and has High blood pressure & sleep apnea, but she is scared of the procedure. She at least has different insurance, so maybe she can get it covered.

Well, Optima definitely has a written exclusion. I called and asked to be sure, and told them my doctor deemed it a medical necessity, and I was told it was still not covered.

My plan is to fight it anyway. I spoke to the insurance coordinator in my office, and she told me that we can't add the rider, as it would raise the rates of 50 people, but the reseller we buy Optima through now has a person on Optima's board, and historically, this agency will fight for us when something is excluded.

I'm going to go to the seminar at HR WLC next week (it look's like Dr. T's Wednesday session covers an additional procedure) and my wife may attend with me. She has a higher BMI than me, plus she is diabetic, and has High blood pressure & sleep apnea, but she is scared of the procedure. She at least has different insurance, so maybe she can get it covered.

i'm sorry to hear about your insurance. i have optima through sentara healthcare and they just started paying for it this year. they do make ya jump through hoops though. what company is your insurance through? i know va beach public schools and the city of va beach cover it through optima.

Well, I work through a small company called the Roofing Company, and we use TFA to buy our Optima through. They told me there is definitely no coverage.

Jefe, that would be an ideal situation if you and your wife could take this journey together. I was self-pay, and I have no regrets, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Hi Hampton Roads gals and guys. My surgery is September 9th. I just got my pre surgery package in the mail. I was told I don't have to do the pre op diet, which is good being that I'm going on a cruise and don't come back till a week before my surgery. Dr. T just said don't overdo it. Does this sound right? Has anyone done the pre op. Also, the post op liquid diet. Is it completely Clear Liquids, or does it include Protein Shakes, etc... I've read that some are on clear liquids. I haven't done my food class yet, it's next week, just I was just curious. Also, I would love to hear some success stories from WLSC. I hear a lot of your success can depend on the Dr., fills, etc... as well as your commitment. Harley, I know that you've been banded for several years. How are things going for you. Any tips from those of you that have been through the journey? I know I'll be on here posting tons of questions. I read a lot on the forums, but so many say different things. It's great to chat with you fellow VA bandsters.

Hi Hampton Roads gals and guys. My surgery is September 9th. I just got my pre surgery package in the mail. I was told I don't have to do the pre op diet, which is good being that I'm going on a cruise and don't come back till a week before my surgery. Dr. T just said don't overdo it. Does this sound right? Has anyone done the pre op. Also, the post op liquid diet. Is it completely clear liquids, or does it include Protein shakes, etc... I've read that some are on clear liquids. I haven't done my food class yet, it's next week, just I was just curious. Also, I would love to hear some success stories from WLSC. I hear a lot of your success can depend on the Dr., fills, etc... as well as your commitment. Harley, I know that you've been banded for several years. How are things going for you. Any tips from those of you that have been through the journey? I know I'll be on here posting tons of questions. I read a lot on the forums, but so many say different things. It's great to chat with you fellow VA bandsters.

I was banded on 8/14/08 by Dr. Terracina and I am doing great 7 days out. I'm on the post op diet for the next 7 days - liquids including broth and protien shakes and feel great. I'm down 14 pounds and can feel some restriction. Nothing but great things to say about Dr. T and the gang at WLSC; Sentara staff also rocks! Good luck on your journey. I'll gladly answer any other questions you may have!

ML

ML, That's awesome! So you can do Protein Shakes. That is great! I hear the taste of them is terrible, but there is one that I really really like. It's Ultramet chocolate. It's very high in Protein, and low in sugar and carbs. Do you know if you can drink any shake, or does it have to specifically be the shake they give you. I hear a lot of them taste terrible. Also, did you have alot of pain/gas after the surgery? How long did it take? How did you feel after? Were you scared. I'm petrafied. I'm afraid I'm never going to wake up. LOL I know that's crazy! Thanks for responding!

ML, That's awesome! So you can do Protein Shakes. That is great! I hear the taste of them is terrible, but there is one that I really really like. It's Ultramet chocolate. It's very high in Protein, and low in sugar and carbs. Do you know if you can drink any shake, or does it have to specifically be the shake they give you. I hear a lot of them taste terrible. Also, did you have alot of pain/gas after the surgery? How long did it take? How did you feel after? Were you scared. I'm petrafied. I'm afraid I'm never going to wake up. LOL I know that's crazy! Thanks for responding!

I really like the Unjury shakes - no after taste at all. My biggest learning is about the pain post op. I was the first surgery at 8:30 and was ready to be discharged by noon. When I left the hospital, I was virtually pain free. By the time I got home to Va Beach, the gas and stomach pains hit pretty quick. I didn't take anything other than tylenol for the pain. Boy was that a mistake! Lesson learned...take your pain meds to stay in front of the pain. After day 4 the pain subsided pretty significantly. Day 7...no pain at all. I totally understand all of your fears, but I think you'll find that the staff at Sentara does a great job to help alleviate your fears and Dr. T is the best at making you feel very comfortable. So no worries...you're gonna rock! :smile2:

ML, I did hear the gas pains are really bad. UGH! I had a polyp removed from my uterus last year and had that gas pain as well. It seemed to last several days, and was brutal. I'm sure everything will go fine. Thanks for all the info! Where in VA are you? I'm in Chesapeake. Do you go to the support meetings? It's quite a hall for me to go, but I'm sure I will to begin with, and then may try to find one over this side of the Water. Not sure yet.

Hi again, Did you have to do a pre op diet. I've heard many have to, but I have not been told to do anything like that.

Just came back from the support meeting. The fitness trainer who was supposed to faciliate wasn't there so it wasn't really structured. I guess I'll try next months meeting and then decide if they're worth the trek.

Didn't have a preop diet other than clear liquids the night befoe.

Hope this info helps!

No preop diet here, just liquids the day before surgery. As for gas pains, I only had shoulder pain. As for tummy pain, I had surgery on Monday, came home on Tuesday, and was off meds by Wed, except for a half a pain pill Wed night.

ML congrats on the surgery. I did liquids for two weeks, then mushies, then real food.

Luv, it has been almost four years, I haven't has a fill since May of 2007, some days I feel like I need one, then the next day, I feel tight as a tick. I don't have plans for another fill any time soon.

Good luck with your big day!

Harley, That's AWESOME! How much weight have you lost all together? Have you been able to keep it off? I hear you can tend to gain some back? Is it really difficult keeping it off without the fills?

My dad had lap band in 2006, and has lost 180 lbs. He said he has gained a little back, but not much. I have read so many things, I'm scared to death of failing after all of this. Any tips on how to succeed and keep the weight off after this many years?

Luv, with the muscle I gained, I've lost around 90-95 lbs. I don't weigh very often, the scales IMO, are not your friend. I go by how I feel and the size I wear. I am very happy with the new me, though I could stand to lose another 15-20 lbs, because of my height, it's not a big deal to me. Besides, at my age, the sagging skin begins to take it's toll, my knees look like one of those wrinkled dogs, LOL.

Don't start your journey "afraid" you'll fail, instead start with you WILL succeed.