Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thrift Store Shopping

I USED to be the biggest snob in the world and would never think of going into a thrift store. Then, I met my friend Joanna (who got her band with me) and she introduced me to thrift store shopping.

Now, we go at least once a week and it's like a challenge to find something really amazing. You wouldn't believe the great clothes that get donated. I got a double-ply cashmere sweater (found in mens size M) for $3 and last week I got a gorgeous tailored silk Ann Taylor jacket (size 14!) for $5.

I used to say I was only doing this until I hit goal and then I'd go to the designer stores. People, I'm telling you -- I'm so cheap now! I don't want to pay more than $10 for anything designer.

This from a woman who is addicted to Coach bags...take my word for it, you can find some great stuff!

Anyone else a thrift store treasure hunter?

I can't do thrift stores. It's not about being snobby or having to spend a lot, it's more about not being able to get over the smell of the places, and the "how many people wore this before me?" idea. Have never worn a thriftstore piece because of this. It gives me the creeps. It's weird. I can borrow a pair of jeans from a friend, but I know her and where she's been... kind of thing. *shrug* I'm glad you can, and that you're finding good deals. You're saving a ton of money. And gas, and time, and don't even have to worry about sales. :D

I love SOME thrift stores. There was a DAV near me that always smelled like dirty diapers. I'd gag walking in the door. The first time, I thought maybe there was someone in there with a baby or something, but the next time I realized it was the WHOLE STORE, and the third time in there, I just couldn't bring myself to go more than 10 steps in the door. Never purchased anything in that one.

There are several others that are fine, though. And I've found some incredible stuff there.

Wheetsin, I totally relate to the whole "who wore this first" and germs thing; that's why I never went in them before. BUT I've found things that are brand new there and I only get the very best stuff that doesn't look worn. I immediately launder or dry clean it.

I hear you about the smell but the nicer stores aren't as bad.

I know a lot of people on this board talk about tight budgets (and our economy is tanking but that's another subject) so I hope it helps someone. I've saved a ton of $. Even if you have to dry clean it, you still come out great.

I'm a germ phobe so how I got over the "who wore it first" was to think about staying in hotel rooms. Tons of people use the beds, towels, etc. and as long as it's laundered first, it's ok. Anyway, that's how I got over it mentally.

I won't even try anything on in a thrift store for that exact reason. It must be laundered first. And I can't imagine buying anything like a swimsuit or bra/panties there, I can't believe they even take the donations of them. EWW!!! I get the willies just thinking about it.

I won't even try anything on in a thrift store for that exact reason. It must be laundered first. And I can't imagine buying anything like a swimsuit or bra/panties there, I can't believe they even take the donations of them. EWW!!! I get the willies just thinking about it.

Do you realize that people (even smelly people) try on clothes in regular department stores too? I have seen some nasty, sweaty people in coming out of the changing room at Dillards, Nordstrom, etc.

I am an avid thrift store shopper, and all of the stores I go to LAUNDER the clothes that are donated before selling them.

Over the years, I have found some amazing deals... and my teenager would rather shop at thft stores than the mall any day. I call her a "mall snob"... but she doesn't like to see everyone else wearing the same clothes she is... she likes to be unique... and she has figured out that she can get a lot more for her money too :D

Hi Newgirl 07:

I love thrift store shopping. I am very fortunate because we just got a new thrift store in my town last year. It is very clean and well organized. I have saved a ton of money shopping there. I'm thinking my best buy was a pair of dockers pants for $3. They looked brand new! I go every couple of weeks to check out what they got that is new.

I giggle when I see the clothes that I donated there.

I find alot of stuff with store tags still on them. So, they've never been worn.

During the summer I go to Cape Cod. They have some of the best thrift shops down there if you're looking for brand names.

Take care.

Sue

Do you realize that people (even smelly people) try on clothes in regular department stores too? I have seen some nasty, sweaty people in coming out of the changing room at Dillards, Nordstrom, etc.

I am an avid thrift store shopper, and all of the stores I go to LAUNDER the clothes that are donated before selling them.

Yes, I'm well aware that people (even smelly people) try on clothes in a department store. But I figure if I'm going to pay retail price for something brand new, I would rather make sure it fits before I get it home, because I'm really bad about taking stuff back if it doesn't fit.

Some of the thrift stores I go to launder their clothing as well before selling them, but I just feel better knowing I've done it myself. Maybe it's a touch of OCD.:D

I've been thinking about this (stuck in traffic on the way home). I could go to a thrift store (if I could get past the smell, everyone I've been in smells like old laundry sprinkled with toenail clippings or smtg... not that I've smelled that) and buy -- a lamp. Or a purse. Or a book. That wouldn't bother me at all. I could not go and buy, say, bedsheets unless I was going to cut them up and turn them into washrags or something. I don't think I could sleep on them. That's really not saying "I'm too good" or anything, it's just... well. It's the same thing as why midgets creep me out. Just a "thing." :tt2:

I know yucky people try things on at stores, and I know that not everyone in a thrift store is yucky. But to me there's a long-term vs. short-term difference. Buying a jacket that someone else tried on, vs. buying bedsheets someone used until they were faded & pilled.

Now if I walked in a thrift store and saw a brand new with tags on jacket that I loved... that might not bother me so much because probably no one wore it, and probably they didn't wear it naked underneath. I'd still have to get it dry cleaned. If I walked in an saw a used shirt, still in good shape -- don't think I could do it.

I'm not even a germ phobe. Maybe it's some kind of lasting trauma from smelling a real bad thrift store as a kid or something. :D

I take all of my too big clothes to the local good will. I have never bought anything there and probably won't. It's one of those smelly stores and the back sorting area is just nasty. I always wash everything before donating it, but I can tell that some people don't. I have four loads of laundry to fold that'll be going to goodwill.

Where I used to live there was a great kids consignment shop called milk money. It was amazingly nice and clean inside. I've bought my sons a few things from there that were practically new. Consignment shops are another option instead of retail.

I love thrift store shopping for clothes. I just wash the clothes before I wear them... then it doesnt matter who wore it before me and it doesnt smell. Goodwill by my house even has a 50% off day once a month!!

I LOVE thrifting. Once in a while, my friend and I make a day of it and hit them all. There is one in particular that is VERY CHEAP, but I feel like I need a shower when I leave! I bring the hand sanitizer!! We have a huge GW that was just built a couple of years ago. It is very neat and organized. My kids get almost all second hand clothes. I find "Mary Kate and Ashley" "The Childrens Place" and many other higher end things. Once I even found a 9 West purse at the Salvation Army for $2 ! I just love it when I find deals like that.

I've sold my clothes on consignment before, and the only time I bought anything on consignment was if it still had tags. But I made a nice little chunk of change on selling my clothes in the past. I plan on doing it again to help finance my new wardrobe that I'll be needing.

I need to do something like that (consignment). I've been saying that for like a year. I have 10 sizes' worth of wardrobes because I bought all new everything for each and every size I lost. Including shoes, jackets, etc. We have rented a storage shed and - I'm not joking - at least 80% of it is full of my clothes. My husband has a full-sized truck and it took us 13 trips, piling the bins & bags in the back, to get everything there. And I STILL have about 8 bags here around the house. I used to know the count, but I'm going to guess there's the equivalent of 35+ large "lawn & leaf" bags of clothes in there. I'm a total clothes whore and didn't worry about saving money, it was my celebration.

So my question is - selling consignment - never did it. Do I just drop stuff off, they pay me one price (like a bulk purchase), then resell it higher to make their own profit? Or do I get a percentage as each item sells? I wonder if there's a limit to how many things I could take at one time because I pretty much have a whole boutique.

Maybe open your own store!! Just kidding. I've never dont consignment, but its very popular around here. Not sure how it works. Each store may be different. I would call around and tell them about how much you have and the brand names & sizes and see what they think.