Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band not working as band snapped open inside me

I know exactly how you feel. I had mine redone last week because it was placed around the fat tissue rather than the stomach. Even though this time around it's been done correctly I'm no longer confident that there won't be other complications. I think if anything else goes wrong, then I would get it out and not bother... always feel way too anxious leading up to surgery.

Donna, You'll see from my earlier post, my surgeon says my band is unlocked as well, I am seeing my surgeon today and asking some questions.

What brand band do you have?

Why don;t you insist at this point that they do a fill with floroscopy, so they ( and you) can see how fast liquid goes through your band. They owe you that much as least. If they do the fill with floroscopy they can get closer to a good level of restriction for you faster and more accurately. Why should you wait any longer?

I know you're in England and your healthcare system is different, but if you are not getting help from the Dr. why not talk to a hospital administrator? Maybe they can help you.

The only bright point for me is I did lose almost 45 pounds and I have been maintaining that for the last few months, mainly because I have been walking.

I'm sorry we've both had this problem and I will post again after I talk to my Dr. today.

Indigo, Sades - thankyou so much for responding to Shortgal's posts. I think support for those that are or have had problems with the band is probably even more important than support for those who it is currently working for. Sometimes when you are having problems it is all to easy to feel as if you are the only one, especially on a site that sometimes seems full of people determined to only look at the positives.

Your input is very important to us all. As we never know if or when we may have to face our own complications.

Thanks Diane, you're so right. When things are going well we feel like part of the lap band crowd, but when something goes wrong, we feel so alone.

Like most on here with a problem, I post, hoping my story will help someone else.

I saw the Dr. this a.m. and he did show me my x-ray compared to a banded person that has a closed band and I have to agree the diameter of the band on mine appears larger. He feels confident that closing it is the answer.

He did seem more understanding that a second surgery is a lot to endure.

He tells me the manufacturer has changed the design on the closure so that people that need revisions can re-use the original band. That was a complaint from patients who were asked to buy a new band and from surgeons that did revisions so they changed the design. I have confirmed this online.

I guess there is a possibility there will be more bands unlocking now that this new band is being used. I hope other Dr's are considering this possibility for people that are not getting good restriction.

At this point I consider myself unlucky that I need surgery again and lucky if it turns out it just needed to be locked and all ends up well.

My surgery is scheduled for Aug 5th and I'll post an update after that.

thanks to you all for these truthful posts... we need more of this to assist us in informed decisions concerning our health- honestly, this makes me want to have bypass or sleeve surgery instead of going to the misery of hoping the band will work- i know there are risks involved in those surgeries but, it seems I am reading more and more negatives on lapbanding as the weeks go by- I was sold on the band due to less risks but that seems to be fading from my opinion- Thanks Again For Posting Your Stories------God Bless!

You know when you are pregnant and all you seem to see are other pregnant women or you never noticed a certain car make car on the raod until you buy the same kind? Well, I think it's similar with complications.

If you're a successful bandster you notice the other successes, if you have a problem, you notice the other people with problems.

I am trying to keep a reasonable balance between the two. There are many people that are successful, even after a problem and I hope I turn out to be one of them.

The weight I have lost ( which is partly because of the surgery) has literally changed my life, in ways I did not imagine it would.

I don't want to go back to my old weight and will fight not to let that happen. It's not easy, though.

There can be problems and complications with any of the weight loss surgery choices. Just go to the other boards, like obesity help or thinner times and you can find them.

We each just make the choice we think is best for us and from there it just seems to be one big crap shot. Some lucky, some not so much.

I agree with Shortgal on this. We're only focusing on the negative because we've had something go wrong for us. I still think for me the band is the way to go. Of course if any other complications occur, I might change my mind. I know many people, other than on here, who have been successful with their bands and I'm hoping I will be the second time around. The other thing to take into account is that there are thousands of people worldwide who have been banded with great success but are not on these boards chatting.

I saw a woman on our local television station this week who has lost 150kgs (330lbs) with the band. Now that is some feat.

You have to go with what feels right for you but don't let a small % of people with complications put you off the band.

After having the first band re-clipped and stitched, it now seems the 2nd band is leaking due to surgeon probably nipping it when he stitched it shut for safety, so nw I'm waiting to see if he will operate to replace band altogether. I am so stressed about this - its really unbelievable. - any :frown:advice??

hi shortgal - sorry not to have responded earlier I have a little girl with rett syndrome and shes been poorly for months. Things have gone from bad to worse regarding the band. The doctor decided that when he snapped the closure shut , he would put some stitches in the locking mechanism to hold it in place. 5 months and 4 fills later I'm putting on weight, and being told the usual - everyone has there own sweet spot - BUT.....I found out today, at when it was stitched, he probably nicked the band as I have hardly any Fluid in band, it has all leaked out.

So now I have to hope the surgeon will re-operate, and totally replace band - YES that will be 3 gastric band operations in 10 months. Is any one else this unlucky. I hope you find success 2 nd time round

donna xxxx

Donna, These are my concerns, that the surgery to "fix" the band can cause additional problems. While your Dr. was in there wasn't it possible to fill your band and look for leaks before he closed you.

I have already mentioned to my Dr. that if he thinks anything else could be damaged to my band, that he should be prepared to install a new one.

I will discuss this with him again to be sure and I appreciate your warning about this.

I am so sorry you are going through this, I know how alone and defeated you must feel. Is your Dr. willing to go back in? Are you willing to endure another surgery?

My Dr. says these are the risks when we chose a "device" to help us instead of a procedure like GBP, but then there are other risks.

We are guinea pigs and pioneers in this weight loss surgery struggle and that is because we are desperate for help.

Medicine has made big advances in many areas, but I don't think we have progressed enough with helping obese people and based on statistics the world is getting fatter still.

How do we explain that one person seems to be able to stop after a reasonable portion and another cannot? OR how do we explain that one person can have two alcoholic drinks and stop but another person can't stop after two?

What band do you have?

After having the first band re-clipped and stitched, it now seems the 2nd band is leaking due to surgeon probably nipping it when he stitched it shut for safety, so nw I'm waiting to see if he will operate to replace band altogether. I am so stressed about this - its really unbelievable. - any :frown:advice??

You poor thing! That is my biggest fear now, that they may have to go back in again for some reason. My surgeon told me he was taking the old one out and putting a new one in for that very reason before my op. He said he would rather do that than risk damaging the other one.

How soon will your 3rd op be? Such a bummer!!

Hi guys - The private hospitalis yet to get the drs agreement to even go back in. I suppose if I am offered another op, I will take it as I am so desparate to lose the weight. I am starting to find being a 24 hr carer for a profoundly disabled child hard going, mostly because of my own size.

I am going to refuse any more fixes to this band and insist on a new one though , as it looks like, inadvertently, in my surgeons attempts to make sure mine wouldnt come undone by stitching it, he probably caused the second problem by puncturing it. I know that when I was having band fills when it was in the unlocked position there was always the same anount in the band as was put in at the previous fill, so I know the second surgery caused the leakage.

I'm quite relieved actually, in a funny sort of a way, to know that it not working again isn't my fault ( it's really messed my head up)

Be so careful on these re-surgeries, as although I will have it if its offered, its only really because;

1 I'm so desperate to lose

2. they wont refund the cost of the surgery - $16,000

I just hope the surgeon will accept liability and get on with it.

Here in the uk we have to completely fast for 10 day before surgery, only being allowed to drink milk.

This will mean that if I have 3rd surgery, I will have done 30 days total fast ( surely I should be a size 6!! ) oh - shortgal, I'm ot sure on the make of the band

Edited by indigo-ocean
spelling errors

Donna, You can call your Dr's office and ask what kind of band you have. posting the brand could establish a pattern with a certain brand that could help others, but more importantly...

Fast for 10 days before ALL kinds of surgery? or just bariatric surgery? I have never heard of that.

Mamy bariatric patients are asked to modify their diet before surgery to help shrink the liver, so it's not injured dyring surgery, because overweight people especially can have fatty enlarged livers.

Have you lost any weight at all since surgery?

The first time around I was asked to modify my preop diet, but this time I do not have to do that... since I've lost weight.

And there are many different diet methods to shrink the liver. some Dr.s have their patients do various liquid Protein diets, some have patients do a high Protein, low calorie, low fat diet and some do a combo, such as Liquid Protein for 2 meals and a dinner of a salad and low fat protein such as baked chicken breast.

To insist that you do that a third time seems barbaric to me and i would be outraged. Bad enough that we have a post op diet to follow after each surgery, but that is understandable as we have sutures on our stomach that must heal.

Your Dr. and or your hospital should correct your problem. Have you seen an attorney? Just for a consultation?

10 days fasting before the op! That is ridiculous, I would certainly be questioning that. You have already done your preop diet so all you need do is not eat for 12 or so hours before your op. On the day of my op I was told to stop eating or drinking at 8.30am that morning. I was operated on at about 3.30pm.

Again I agree with Shortgal, seek some legal advice before you decide what to do. Talk about being treated like you don't matter. Someone has to be liable in these cases. I can understand one error but not two. If you do go ahead, I would insist on a new band but I would be wary of having the same surgeon doing it. Talk to the medical complaints department, not sure what they're called in the UK. Here they are called the Health Care Complaints Commission. They might steer you in the right direction.

I am having difficulty with my band after getting obstructed last summer 2008. All of the Fluid was removed in June and I didn't get it filled again until November. Now i am at 3.6 with pretty much no restriction. What could have gone wrong? Plus since then I have changed doctors. Doctor an a--hole. Started going to a new doctor in December and I have had two fills since .5 on December 23 and 1.0 on January 6. What could be wrong? Oh by the way I have an Inamed 4cc.