Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

well after fighting yukon healthcare for almost 2 years i won im so happy they are mailing me a check for $8200. Now the lap band is cover in the Yukon but they are going to send people to Alberta.

Please give details of how you managed to fight and win this battle. Maybe we can win the same war in Ontario and other provinces.

Perhaps this will set a precident in all provinces

Hooray:tt2:

Well in 2005 my doctor sent a request to Yukon Health for me to have the Lap-Band. It took Yukon Health about 1 year to get back to me and they wanted my BMI. So My doctor sent another request pointing out that I was at high risk for stroke and I was borderline diabetic and I needed the surgery for my health. Yukon health denied my application and said that Lap-band was cosmetic surgery and they don’t cover it. Next I went to my local MP who is also the Yukon’s opposition healthcare minister. He sent a letter to the Yukon Health Minister requesting financial assistance for my surgery. About 2 months later we received a refusal letter from the Minister. He basically said that Lap-Band was not a proven method of weight loss so they can’t support our request. I then contacted the Yukon Governments Ombudsman and filed a complaint. The ombudsman researched the lap-band and recommended that it be covered. The ombudsman meet with Healthcare last week and the director of Yukon Health called me personally to apologise and reimburse me $8200. She said since the surgery was done privately they could only offer me the amount the Government pays for the surgery and that Lap-Band was now covered in the Yukon. The ombudsman took about 8 months to do his job. So it’s a very slow process.

Do you realize what you've done???

I mean you have now set a precident that all other would be Canadian Bandster wanna-bee's can follow...

THANK YOU FROM ALL THE PEOPLE YET TO BE BANDED IN CANADA...

Most of us here were fortunate enough to scrap up, borrow (Steal?) the money for our lapbands.

This gives some hope. :)

Congratulations and Peaches is right...you've paved the way for others so they won't have to go through that same mess. Good for you and Lucky future bandsters :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I will be starting the same process soon (I've already had the surgery though). I'm in BC and I tend to not take 'no' for an answer!! It just takes one person to make a difference......

Hi Bert 99. Did you see the article in the Vancouver Sun this morning. No wonder BCers have trouble getting the message across we need help. Some self rightgeous individual wrote an article how she lost weight and has kept it off for the last five years. She has been successful so can't see why the authorities are mollycoddling people with weight disabilities. The article is long and vicious with no understanding of how others struggle. If you have the ability to respond to her I wish you would. I can't keep my rage in check long enough to tell her what I think of hier prious holier than thou attitude. Doddie

Hi Bert 99. Did you see the article in the Vancouver Sun this morning. No wonder BCers have trouble getting the message across we need help. Some self rightgeous individual wrote an article how she lost weight and has kept it off for the last five years. She has been successful so can't see why the authorities are mollycoddling people with weight disabilities. The article is long and vicious with no understanding of how others struggle. If you have the ability to respond to her I wish you would. I can't keep my rage in check long enough to tell her what I think of hier prious holier than thou attitude. Doddie

Hi Doddie, do you have the link to that article? Thanks so much.

Robby

Hi Bert. The only link I know is the Vancouver Sun, then editorials. I have since thrown away the article. If I find it again I will get back to you. Doddie

Roby: I went back and found the article and I am madder than ever. It is in the Vancouver Sun entitled "I'm a big loser and did something about it" by Shelley Fralic.

the link is www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/arts/story. I am so sorry I don't know how to send a link. This has got to be the vilest and mean spirited article I have ever read. Doddie